The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

My LT1 vs Cobalt SS T/C

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 PM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

Default My LT1 vs Cobalt SS T/C

Hey guys, I was just wondering how well you think a Cobalt SS T/C would do against my LT1 Camaro. I should have the Trans Am sold sometime within the next week, and I'm trying to get a left-over 2010 Cobalt SS because payments will be lower per month on it, and I'll have a warranty. So, I'm just trying to get a feel of how much slower it'll be than the current slow car. lol. I know from a dig that they run high 13's or so. But, more wondering about from a roll, since I hear they can be pretty nasty from a roll.

Some info on the LT1. It ran 13.2@105-106 on DR's, before the 3.90's and bigger TB. That was also on a slipping stock clutch. Now has a Spec Stage 3 and street tires. Think the Cobalt could atleast hang with it from a lower roll?
Old 12-03-2010, 03:32 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Yea the cobalt should be just a quick from a roll. Maybe even a little quicker with a tune and a few other minor mods.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

A stock Cobalt TC will be right beside you from a roll, I wouldn't expect to pull him any, maybe a half car either way. From a dig you will hurt one due to your huge traction advantage. With just a tune however, they can throw down 300 at the wheels and trap 108-110 easily, mid-low 13s. I witnessed several at the track this year with a tune, exhaust, and intake making in the 330 whp range and running high 12s, low 13s at +113 mph. You'll have a lot of fun with a TC if you end up with one. They are ten times easier to make fast than my SC.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:02 AM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

Can I keep the warranty on one if I do intake, exhaust, and tune?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:59 AM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
A stock Cobalt TC will be right beside you from a roll, I wouldn't expect to pull him any, maybe a half car either way. From a dig you will hurt one due to your huge traction advantage. With just a tune however, they can throw down 300 at the wheels and trap 108-110 easily, mid-low 13s. I witnessed several at the track this year with a tune, exhaust, and intake making in the 330 whp range and running high 12s, low 13s at +113 mph. You'll have a lot of fun with a TC if you end up with one. They are ten times easier to make fast than my SC.
The LT1 doesn't have any traction advantage on anything right now really. With those 3.90's, and the Spec Stage 3, it's nearly impossible to launch. Not to mention it has some bald 245 Khumo all-seasons on it right now that didn't even hook back when I bought the car a few years ago with just shorties, ory, and a cai. This Cobalt seems pretty promising, and I think I'm going to go down to the dealer tomorrow and look at it a little closer and take it for a test drive. I just wish I had the T/A sold already so I could go ahead and pull the trigger on it. They've got some pretty good deals on it since it's been there so long and it's the holiday season. Already knocked $4k off the sticker price, 0% for 60 months, and no payments til Spring.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tspence45
Can I keep the warranty on one if I do intake, exhaust, and tune?
I know for a fact you can have it tuned and keep your warranty, simply because the dealer has no way of knowing its tuned unless you actually tell them. As far as the exhaust, intake, etc, Ehhhh.... thats one of those hit or miss things. Really just depends on the service manager you're dealing with. I personally never had a problem when I had my GTO, but the guys there were all into it. I had LTs and a bunch of other stuff, and they told me that if the mods didn't actually cause the problem, then it wouldn't affect the warranty. Every stealership is different though. I've never seen or heard if just a cat-back voiding a warranty either.

Originally Posted by tspence45
The LT1 doesn't have any traction advantage on anything right now really. With those 3.90's, and the Spec Stage 3, it's nearly impossible to launch. Not to mention it has some bald 245 Khumo all-seasons on it right now that didn't even hook back when I bought the car a few years ago with just shorties, ory, and a cai. This Cobalt seems pretty promising, and I think I'm going to go down to the dealer tomorrow and look at it a little closer and take it for a test drive. I just wish I had the T/A sold already so I could go ahead and pull the trigger on it. They've got some pretty good deals on it since it's been there so long and it's the holiday season. Already knocked $4k off the sticker price, 0% for 60 months, and no payments til Spring.
I see. I think the biggest thing thats going to sale you on the TC is how tight it is. I drove an 02 Z28 the other day and it felt like it was on flat tires compared to my Balt. The TC handles, brakes, turns, etc, much better than mine does even. I'll be surprised if you don't take it home. The BS interior may turn you off from it however. But yea, I don't think you can wrong with it other than the fail wheel drive part.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:46 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Why are you selling the TA? It would be nice to get into a new car with a warranty. +1 on what stone says about a tune not affecting your warranty. It's not like GM is BMW or anything. The reason why I mention that is because my step dad's friend has a 2009 335i sedan and those things have a black box or something equivalent to it. That damn thing knows exactly what you're doing at all times.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

That warranty question gets asked a lot in S197 tech. According to the law, if they can prove the mod caused the problem they can charge you for the repair.. but the burden of proof is upon them.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:13 PM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
I know for a fact you can have it tuned and keep your warranty, simply because the dealer has no way of knowing its tuned unless you actually tell them. As far as the exhaust, intake, etc, Ehhhh.... thats one of those hit or miss things. Really just depends on the service manager you're dealing with. I personally never had a problem when I had my GTO, but the guys there were all into it. I had LTs and a bunch of other stuff, and they told me that if the mods didn't actually cause the problem, then it wouldn't affect the warranty. Every stealership is different though. I've never seen or heard if just a cat-back voiding a warranty either.

I see. I think the biggest thing thats going to sale you on the TC is how tight it is. I drove an 02 Z28 the other day and it felt like it was on flat tires compared to my Balt. The TC handles, brakes, turns, etc, much better than mine does even. I'll be surprised if you don't take it home. The BS interior may turn you off from it however. But yea, I don't think you can wrong with it other than the fail wheel drive part.
I'd like to take it home tomorrow, but don't want to end up buying it without having the T/A sold. I was just thinking about doing the GM Stage 1 upgrade, and try to work out a deal with the price of the car with the kit included, so it would be modded a little bit, but not affect the warranty. Only reason I was going to do that was because the kit comes with a new MAP sensor to run more boost. But, maybe I'll just buy the MAP sensor and get a Trifecta tune, since that seems to be a very popular tune for the LNF motor. Not too worried about the interior. I think it's still a step up from my 4th gen Fbodies probably. lol. Fail wheel drive doesn't really bother me either. I've had a couple fwd cars before, and actually really miss having my 2000 Cavy Z24 around. Can't go wrong with it's bigger, more powerful brother. lol

Originally Posted by crash
Why are you selling the TA? It would be nice to get into a new car with a warranty. +1 on what stone says about a tune not affecting your warranty. It's not like GM is BMW or anything. The reason why I mention that is because my step dad's friend has a 2009 335i sedan and those things have a black box or something equivalent to it. That damn thing knows exactly what you're doing at all times.
Selling the T/A because I'm tired of paying $410/month on a 98 Fbody. I figure if I can save $100/month on a payment and get twice the gas mileage, while still being able to have fun and not be too slow, then why not. Also, the warranty will be nice so I won't have to pay for repairs if something goes wrong.

Originally Posted by Mishri
That warranty question gets asked a lot in S197 tech. According to the law, if they can prove the mod caused the problem they can charge you for the repair.. but the burden of proof is upon them.
Ah ic. Good to know. I doubt they could even figure out it's tuned. And if I do intake/exhaust, I'd probably just put the stock stuff back on before I'd take it in for any warranty work. Not too hard to loosen a few bolts and throw stock sh*t back on. Definately won't be doing anything too much to it anytime soon if I get it though. Probably just intake, catback, and tune for now.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:57 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

If you just throw on a HP Tuners tune the dealer can see it. Though some use HP tuners, with a spare PCM. Then Trifecta does have a "stealth" tune that the dealer can't see. IIRC you can switch between that and the stock tune. It has a 260wtq learn down feature stock so bolt-on's won't really do anything for it stock. Intakes are a pain, with out a spot on tune it skews the fuel trims. Most just go with the K&N filter.

Hmm... if your into drag racing you have to swap the Brembo's to SS/SC breaks for a 15" wheel to fit. Though two people have made it 11's stock turbo.

I would go with a White Sedan!

Quick Reply: My LT1 vs Cobalt SS T/C