The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Advice on next ride, SS is gone, looking for 12s

Old 07-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Default Advice on next ride, SS is gone, looking for 12s

As you all know, I go through cars like underwear, but this time its actually not my doing. Long story short, Carmax sold the TBSS to me. Carmax doesn't use carFAX, they use AutoCheck, which sucks. Well, I ran a carFax on my TBSS just to see where all it had been, etc, and find that it was serviced at the same place for 2.5 years, and the mileage increased like normal up to 62,000 miles...... it only has 53,847 on it now... see where I'm going with this. After that 62,000 mile service, it goes without a service for 4 months, then pops back in and is clocked at 43,xxx and increases from there for the next 7 or so occurances. So I threaten CarMax until they finally agree to buy it back, including paying me back for the payments and interest I made to the bank, BUT.... I'm responsible for the negative that I rolled into the vehicle, which is a decent amount. So basically I've got to go to the bank tomorrow and take out a personal loan to cover the negative, and get an auto loan, or just buy another car from Carmax and roll the negative on over into the next vehicle. So enough of the boring crap.

I'm trying to stay under $20k, no front wheel drives, UNDER 50K MILES, and I would love to at least run a high 12 with a tune at most on street tires. Help me out guys. The used market seems to be through the roof right now. Machs are high at the moment, as are Cobras and LSx cars. I was tempted to just go buy a new 5.0, but would really like a breather from a high payment for awhile. This may go to OT, so try to keep it related to what will run 12s for under 20k out the door. I know LS1s can be found for cheap, but banks don't seem to appreciate a good 9 year old F-Body like the rest of us, and I don't have cash laying around...

Cliffs.. Carmax is buying my TBSS back due to an odometer rollback
Looking for a bank approved (7 year or newer) high 12 car for under $20k total
Throw some ideas at me
Old 07-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

03 cobra

You go through cars like crazy man haha.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:27 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Literally, just yesterday I was thinking it was about time for you to drop some coin on a new car. You love to pay sales tax don't you. I say you buy another Mach and a cheap used '05ish Focus for your DD. Then mod the **** out of the Mach* and don't make the same mistake you made three times before. Keep the ****er.

* - Keep it N/A. Ported heads, ported intake, custom cams, 4.30's and all other supporting mods. Will not be cheap, might take a while to due to cash flow restrictions but it won't be just another blown Mach either. BTW - This is what I almost did instead of selling the Mazda3 and buying the '11. Thought about keeping the 3 and buying a white Mach. Eventually I'll do it. Just need more monies.

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 07-20-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:20 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Sheesh. sounds like a real friggin' headache.. but I understand what you're going through. Sucks when people do shaddy shiet, but what can you do?

If I were in you're position, I would decide on which car I would want to invest in, then build up a solid motor for FI, twin screw/high boost, reinforce the drive-train and suspension/tires, and then go all out. Fvck it, you only live once.. might as well go crazy while you're at it rofl

Knowing what I know now.. I'd rather have the bare bones foundation.. built motor.. solid FI.. built drivetrain/suspension.. dedicated tires/rims than a brand spanking new ride running high 12's with minor bolt on's @$40+k..

Potential is powerful...

Last edited by stealth_GT; 07-21-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:09 AM
1.5LofFury
4th Gear Member

maybe look into Evo/STi's???
Old 07-21-2011, 02:23 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

^ low 12's with just a tune is no joke..
Old 07-21-2011, 02:23 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1.5LofFury
maybe look into Evo/STi's???
Nope. See below.

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 07-21-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:29 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Old 07-21-2011, 04:11 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I would much prefer a Cobra this time around, but a clean Mach can be had for about $5k less, or a $100 less per month. My last Mach pulled a couple 12.9 glory passes with 4.10s, street tires, and a tune. No Cobra by any means, but priced right at $13k and loads of fun.

83, trust me man, I wouldnt be doing this if the car wasn't, 'true miles unknown'. I love my TBSS except for the 14.5 mpg average, lol. If fuel wasn't hovering around $4, I'd highly consider another.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:57 AM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Im thinking more about the little'un here moreso then the price, and I pretty much KNOW its outta the pricerance, but ya ever consider a cts-v? I don't know a whole heckuva lot about them, just that they can be made into monsters, and aren't too shabby in stock form. Then again, anything can be made into monsters.

For whatever reason, that was the first thing that popped into my head, thinking quick, moddable, and 4dr.

Im real sorry to hear about this headache bro. Really sucks gettn caught up in shady business antics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on next ride, SS is gone, looking for 12s