The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

finally got a run in

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

Default finally got a run in

me and a buddy of mine did a friendly race tonight. he's got a 2011 camaro ss automatic with a volant cai, and im still stock with a k&n filter and pypes muffler deletes. we did 3 50 rolls, i was in 2nd and a 20-90 roll. i missed 3rd gear twice on the 50 rolls so he jumped out, i got the jump on one of them and shifted good until we shut it down at 90 or 100 and he was starting to reel me in. i was very impressed with how i did from a 20 roll. now he had a passenger so it wasn't fair i guess you could say but i dont care. from 20-60 we were dead even and we hit it at the same time, he had the middle part of his door at my front bumper when we hit 80-90 and we shut it down. this was all done out on deserted roads by his ranch so we had a good set up. i've been wanting to run a camaro ss for awhile now and i finally did. his car is obviously faster, but it shows how the weight can play a big factor down low. does it sound like i did alright? just curious. tune and intake was shipped out today, talked to miles from brenspeed. should be here sometime next week
Old 08-12-2011, 09:24 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Sounds about right and I guess I should have said it in my post on your other thread, the auto Camaro is a good bit slower than the 6spd, with a good CAI/tune and some gears you could probably beat the auto SS in the quarter and if not it would still be pretty close.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:24 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I think you did well considering your mods. I just raced a 2010+ auto the other day, and beat him with my little 2 valve. Once from a dig, and once from a roll. To be honest the L99's are not very impressive IMO.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

lol i know what you mean by that, they don't seem as good as the 6 spd. my dad has a manual SS but he won't race me, but i knew my friend would be down because we talked about it before. i had my window down on the last run and his car did sound pretty loud and i was expecting him to immediately walk away from me but he didn't, we stayed dead even until about 70 and he put half a door on me. i looked up their trap speeds in the 1/4 mile stock and the fastest i saw was like 108.7, 6 spd was 113.xx. heres the link if you wanna see it. he also had a volant cai so i guess he wasn't completely stock. and 2008 gt/cs i agree, i think with a tune/cai and gears it would've made for a really intersting race, considering i held my own fairly well with what i have. i probably would've been able to keep up a good bit more after 70 or so from the 50 roll with a cai/tune. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013

check out the link if you want
Old 08-12-2011, 10:01 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

and you have a nice looking boss 302 there gt/cs, badass looking car
Old 08-12-2011, 10:14 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Thanks. Ya, I don't know what the deal is on the SS but the auto doesn't run as well as the manual, not that it still doesn't run well but you don't usually see that big of a difference in a car just because of the tranny. Do you have future plans other than a CAI/Tune for the car? And that third gear thing is a doozey, I like to place my pinky behind the shifter ****, for whatever reason it helps me not miss 3rd.

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 08-12-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Gotta let third line itself up Its human nature to push it too far to the right and end up between 3rd and 5th. I always just put the palm of my hand behind the shifter, no fingers around the front. Don't grip it, just push it forward and it will center itself and fall right into 3rd every time. Try it sometime with the car turned off, pull it into 2nd, then just bump the back of the shifter and watch how it centers on its own, then just push it straight into 3rd.

About the run, I think you did very well. You were definitely out gunned in power. The auto SS's maybe slower than the manuals, but they still trap 107 in the 1/4, which is more than most S197 3Vs, so I'd say you were doing some really good driving. IMO, that run is one to be proud of considering you're basically stock. Good run fo sho, Miller!
Old 08-13-2011, 02:57 AM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

gt/cs: yeah i know what you mean, the auto is a good bit slower than the manual. its gotta be that engine, i know it makes like 26 less hp. i like my dads alot more because the manual is alot more fun to drive than my buddies. as for mods, i would like to get some comp mother thumper cams sometime in the future, but i wanted the intake and tune for the past two years so i was like im getting it now for sure, no more waiting lol, and yeah i agree that third gear is a doozey. i'll practice your technique and let you know how it goes. how you liking that boss? those stats i've seen in the magazines are ridiculous, im super jealous haha, i bet its a blast to drive.

stone: thanks man for the inspirational words! they're appreciated. i felt like i was driving the hell out of my car, and i hope i didn't hurt the transmission at all but i thought about it and realized the stock tranny can actually withstand alot of power so two screwed up shifts shouldn't kill it but i just can't do it all the time lol. it was alot of fun. i honestly thought he would've pulled alot harder from 50 than he did, i know he had a passenger but i thought the volant cai would've helped him out alot more. now i've been curious about this, i do think i might have gotten one of the good mustangs off the assembly line. it feels like it makes more than 300 hp stock, and i know a filter and exhaust don't really do much it seems like. what do you think? and how would a camaro like my buddies do against an e39 m5? my parents had a 2000 m5 and we loved that car but sold it when my dad got his 911 4 years ago. how do you like your 01 ss? i love the LS1's haha
Old 08-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by m5miler
gt/cs: yeah i know what you mean, the auto is a good bit slower than the manual. its gotta be that engine, i know it makes like 26 less hp. i like my dads alot more because the manual is alot more fun to drive than my buddies. as for mods, i would like to get some comp mother thumper cams sometime in the future, but i wanted the intake and tune for the past two years so i was like im getting it now for sure, no more waiting lol, and yeah i agree that third gear is a doozey. i'll practice your technique and let you know how it goes. how you liking that boss? those stats i've seen in the magazines are ridiculous, im super jealous haha, i bet its a blast to drive.

stone: thanks man for the inspirational words! they're appreciated. i felt like i was driving the hell out of my car, and i hope i didn't hurt the transmission at all but i thought about it and realized the stock tranny can actually withstand alot of power so two screwed up shifts shouldn't kill it but i just can't do it all the time lol. it was alot of fun. i honestly thought he would've pulled alot harder from 50 than he did, i know he had a passenger but i thought the volant cai would've helped him out alot more. now i've been curious about this, i do think i might have gotten one of the good mustangs off the assembly line. it feels like it makes more than 300 hp stock, and i know a filter and exhaust don't really do much it seems like. what do you think? and how would a camaro like my buddies do against an e39 m5? my parents had a 2000 m5 and we loved that car but sold it when my dad got his 911 4 years ago. how do you like your 01 ss? i love the LS1's haha
Idk man, did you buy your car new or used? When I sold mine, I slapped the stock airbox back on, but the dealer had no idea I had installed 4.10s, tuned it, and that it had LCAs and underdrive pulleys, so whoever bought that car lucked up big time. If you bought used, its possible you bought a previously modded car. I ran an automatic SS from a roll with those mods, and from 60-110 I had about a car on him. So yea, your car does seem pretty quick for a stock car. I'm not sure about the M5, but I'm guessing it would be a pretty good race. Your buddy needs to get that SS tuned. It would turn that car into a completely different animal. I'm digging the LS1, so far its been pretty impressive. It ran an 8.6 at 85 mph last night without any cool down or anything. Its another one that needs a tune though. Mainly to clean up the shifts and turn down the torque management a tad.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:17 PM
TommyV8
5th Gear Member

FWIW stock auto L99 Camaros usually run bottom 13s, sometimes very high 12s. All else equal they're just a hair quicker than the old LS1 cars. Good run.

Quick Reply: finally got a run in