The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

I need a remote bottle opener!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:15 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Default I need a remote bottle opener!

On the way home from work today just cruising on the highway, a red cts-v passes me, the guy looked over then hammered it. sounded great, deff not a stock exhaust. This was a newer model but it wasn't the newest one that has 550hp. not sure what the last model was rated at. I'm sure even with the spray he would of got me especially at highway speeds. but since i couldn't get to the bottle to turn it on i didn't even bother playing. so if anyone has a remote bottle opener they'd like to sell me let me know haha.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

LS6 I believe. I guess it depends on whether or not he had headers or not. With just a cat-back, you ought to pull one though. I hear ya on the bottle opener. I honestly wouldn't have a bottle without one.... and the bottle warmer would be on when the car was, lol.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:29 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
LS6 I believe. I guess it depends on whether or not he had headers or not. With just a cat-back, you ought to pull one though. I hear ya on the bottle opener. I honestly wouldn't have a bottle without one.... and the bottle warmer would be on when the car was, lol.
Just curious, but why exactly do they heat the bottles? Someone once told me it was good if you were half empty or running low because the expansion from the heat gives you consistency from race to race? Is that true or BS?

And I once saw this guy at a meet LITERALLY blow torching his nitrous bottle- that can't be a good idea can it?! Just curious since I see that topic come up pretty often.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Just curious, but why exactly do they heat the bottles? Someone once told me it was good if you were half empty or running low because the expansion from the heat gives you consistency from race to race? Is that true or BS?

And I once saw this guy at a meet LITERALLY blow torching his nitrous bottle- that can't be a good idea can it?! Just curious since I see that topic come up pretty often.
Heat=expansion, which builds bottle pressure. Bottle pressure ensures a full shot. I believe its a minimum of 800 psi to guarantee a full shot.... so if you're running 150 shot jets, and you have at least 800+ psi in the bottle, you will get that full 150 shot. If you're bottle is temps get too low and the pressure drops to say 500 psi, you'll likely only receive 75-100 shot, or less, and so on and so on. Make sense? Basically, you need the heat to build the pressure to force it OUT of the bottle.

Using a torch is safe. I'm not saying take an acetylene torch to it while blowing oxygen, but a blue flame from a propane torch or any other yellow/orange flame is fine as long as you move it about the bottle and don't get it red hot in one spot.

Last edited by Stone629; 09-01-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:52 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Actually, you might have taken him. I actually raced a newer CTS-V (550 hp) a while back, and it was pretty damn even from a roll.

I hear you on the bottle opener though. Whenever i head out (unless it's around town or something) i always turn it on in case. I got caught with it off one time, and of course the one time i did that, i got spanked by a supercharged Saleen....never again though lol.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:54 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Heat=expansion, which builds bottle pressure. Bottle pressure ensures a full shot. I believe its a minimum of 800 psi to guarantee a full shot.... so if you're running 150 shot jets, and you have at least 800+ psi in the bottle, you will get that full 150 shot. If you're bottle is temps get too low and the pressure drops to say 500 psi, you'll likely only receive 75-100 shot, or less, and so on and so on. Make sense? Basically, you need the heat to build the pressure to force it OUT of the bottle.
Oh ok, so the back pressure is necessary to allow the gas to come out at all? I thought it was just an efficiency trick, I had no idea it actually was necessary to operate the system lol
Thanks stone
Old 09-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Oh ok, so the back pressure is necessary to allow the gas to come out at all? I thought it was just an efficiency trick, I had no idea it actually was necessary to operate the system lol
Thanks stone
When you get the bottle filled, it will be at whatever pressure needed to get that full shot, but after every use, that pressure will drop... quickly. Once the PSI drops, you start to lose pressure in the lines and the actual rated shot drops as well. The only way to bring it back up is with heat. Every mod has its drawback unfortunately, lol
Old 09-01-2011, 10:08 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Your bottle temp needs to be around 85* F to maintain the correct nitrous pressure of 950 psi, give or take depending on the manufacturer's spec. On the other side of the coin if you live in a hot southern clime you have to worry more about keeping the temp/pressure down. A purge will drop your pressure and icing the bottle will help cool it. Torch is always frowned upon. It won't heat the bottle evenly and can cause structural damage to the bottle and is hard to hold while driving:-)
Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Your bottle temp needs to be around 85* F to maintain the correct nitrous pressure of 950 psi, give or take depending on the manufacturer's spec. On the other side of the coin if you live in a hot southern clime you have to worry more about keeping the temp/pressure down. A purge will drop your pressure and icing the bottle will help cool it. Torch is always frowned upon. It won't heat the bottle evenly and can cause structural damage to the bottle and is hard to hold while driving:-)
Yeah the guy was just sitting there (parked) with the bottle in his trunk and he was torching it while it was in there! I was kinda worried and intrigued at the same time- mostly worried lol.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

It would take several minutes of extreme heat on one spot to actually rupture a bottle. A propane torch wouldn't do it. You would almost have to deliberately try to cut thru the bottle with an actelyne torch to pull it off...... not that I suggest experimenting or anything!!

Quick Reply: I need a remote bottle opener!