The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

3.7 vs. 2v and/or srt Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Explosive
I dunno, the seat dyno says the 6spd sixxers are quicker than the autos IMO.

I agree on the auto part. I can't stand how many people hate on autos. Autos are no fun, autos are for women. Autos are slow ect. I also have a manual car and I wish to god it was a built auto. I'll take an auto over the manual any day. Not to mention you can get a manual valvebody. There you go. You get to shift and there is no clutch. Best of both worlds.

Yea, I guess they should feel slightly quicker since they obviously should have less drivetrain loss. I think shifting gears makes the car feel faster.

Lol, people that say stuff like that about autos have never been in a built auto and most likely are just insecure about their own cars...they probably are so ignorant they dont even know what a manual valve body is.

Anyone who knows anything about racing should have respect for a built auto.

Honestly, I miss banging gears but my car is a DD so I went auto instead of t56 and dont regret it one bit, especially when I go to the track and see comparable cars running 1.0-1.5 seconds slower than me. lol

Last edited by justinschmidt1; 02-24-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:40 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 89LX Coupe
Hopefully after this or next weekend a m6 v6 will make the n/a record haha

I kinda hate on autos just for the fact its no fun to drive in most cases..... I'm a gear jammer at heart and its in my bloodline no doubt lol. But for a drag car standpoint and getting the car out the hole quickly and consistantly an auto is the way to go!!
No doubt, banging gears is fun but I disagree with the auto not being fun.

Yea, when you have a 13/14 second car, an auto is boring.

But there is no way you would hop in my car an throw the pedal to the floor without having a grin ear to ear after.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:12 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

Don't race the jeep from a dig, up top they don't pull nearly as hard as they do off the line.....at least mine doesn't

I've read about guys breaking into the 12's with stock srt8 jeeps but it doesn't seem very common, more bottom 13's
Old 02-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I've only seen a handful of them run, but they have mostly been 13.3-13.5 at 101-103 mph. Anybody know how well they respond to tuning, bolt-ons, etc?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Explosive

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
Yea, I guess they should feel slightly quicker since they obviously should have less drivetrain loss. I think shifting gears makes the car feel faster.

Lol, people that say stuff like that about autos have never been in a built auto and most likely are just insecure about their own cars...they probably are so ignorant they dont even know what a manual valve body is.

Anyone who knows anything about racing should have respect for a built auto.

Honestly, I miss banging gears but my car is a DD so I went auto instead of t56 and dont regret it one bit, especially when I go to the track and see comparable cars running 1.0-1.5 seconds slower than me. lol
Yea it's normally some lifted truck retard or someone who knows nothing about cars. Best thing I've seen out of the people I know was a hobbled fox that ran high 14's/low 15's lol....

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
No doubt, banging gears is fun but I disagree with the auto not being fun.

Yea, when you have a 13/14 second car, an auto is boring.

But there is no way you would hop in my car an throw the pedal to the floor without having a grin ear to ear after.

This is true, but I'm glad I have the auto right now because once I've got boost I know I'm gonna love the auto at the strip. As of now, I'm a 13 second car and I don't think it's boring. I do think a convertor would make a huge difference but eh I'll wait till I build the trans to get a convertor.

Hell when my Mach was bone stock it'd put the car sideways on a WOT shift into second. Defiantly was not boring. I know my one friend was surprised as hell when I punched it and hit second and it let out a good squawk like a 5spd car. Of course now with the drag radials that doesn't happen. Sometimes I will feel it spin like 1/4 revolution then it hooks and they don't squawk.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Love a tuned automatic, nothing like a high pressure shift at WOT, or tuning it so it always drops a gear at 3/4 throttle. Just wish our older cars were 6 or 7 speeds like the new ones instead of 4 speeds. Too much gap in gear to gear ratio with a 4 speed IMO, compared to what's out there in the modern world anyway.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Explosive

Originally Posted by Stone629
Love a tuned automatic, nothing like a high pressure shift at WOT, or tuning it so it always drops a gear at 3/4 throttle. Just wish our older cars were 6 or 7 speeds like the new ones instead of 4 speeds. Too much gap in gear to gear ratio with a 4 speed IMO, compared to what's out there in the modern world anyway.

Even with my SCT tuner I notice a HUGE difference in my shifts.

Always wanted to try something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zx54zjDU4s
Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

That is nothing short sick. Bet a that trans is bullet proof.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I tend to agree with everyone else. 2-V you should have it in the bag.. Jeep could put a hurting on you. Either way try to post a vid. GL!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:18 PM
z28th1s
2nd Gear Member

The 2V you will have no problem with.

Just for comparison on my 13.03 pass my car ran an 8.36 in the 1/8 mile. On street tires you don't want to run the Jeep from a dig or a 1st gear roll because of the 2nd gear tire spin you get. From a good higher RPM 2nd gear roll I think you might be able to stay with him on the hit and slowly pull away from him as the MPH increases.

As 97 and 89LX said gear jammin' is in our blood!! We can hold our own in a gearbox!! There is nothing wrong with a good built automatic, I just don't care for them. My wife can get in one and mat the gas and run just as fast as I can (probably faster since she weighs 100 pounds less than me, LOL). Driving a fast stick car well isn't easy and there is a sense of accomplishment when you can!!

Also, don't forget that Pro Stock cars run a manual trans!!

Last edited by z28th1s; 02-24-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.7 vs. 2v and/or srt Jeep