The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

6rwhp gains

Old 02-28-2012, 07:14 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Did you look at my pictures in post 18? I took that picture when we pulled the blower off another Xcharger car when I upgraded him to the Xtreme intercooler. The coating is definitely stripped off.
What mixture was he running? Ratio. If it's 35/65, which is what is commonly used, it should never do that. I seriously wonder what mixture he was running.

Also, you said he was spraying before boost? Water/Meth is there to hit heat. You're not spraying on top of a whole lot of heat before the blower, therefore maybe some residual alcohol (if he's running higher than 35/65) might have done that because it wasn't broken down.

Unless there is a whole lot of heat in that engine compartment, there is almost no benefit to spraying before boost. In race applications, what some guys do is spray before and after boost. But that's race: serious drag and road course apps.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I've seen several pics of rotors losing coating on meth cars. But I've also seen plenty that look fine that spray meth. Thats where all the debate is coming in. There needs to be a controlled test done to nail down exactly what is going on.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Do cars without meth also lose the coating? If the answer is definitive NO then I would say you have something... otherwise would need to see a lot of samples before making the call. Definitely something to watch for though.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
Do cars without meth also lose the coating? If the answer is definitive NO then I would say you have something... otherwise would need to see a lot of samples before making the call. Definitely something to watch for though.
I agree. And you know what? I don't think we'll ever get a large enough sample size to know for sure.

The only part that gets me is the spraying meth before boost piece on what appears to be a non-race application. I know Jim said that's the only way to do it on the X-Charger. I'm not questioning his knowledge...I just wonder if you can't find another way.

The only way this peels off the coating, imo, is by running too much fluid (larger and/or more nozzles) with the ratio being more meth than water, on a non-race application (lower temps)...and the mixture is not burning due to lower temps (before boost), so it's just "running" through the intake, or pooling.

Yes, I'm interested.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

If the meth makes you leary, a 5-10 shot of nitrous will do the same thing. Its just going to cost a little more and you wont br able to run more timing.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:35 PM
JimC

The meth that my friend was running was the "blue stuff" so it was the 35/65 ratio. His wasn't the first one I've seen either.

And having worked on my car and had the blower off a couple of times, never ran meth through it, I haven't lost any coating on the rotors.

No one makes a plate system to go under the blower, and the kits all say you tap in to the intake after the throttle body. Someone would have to take on the task of developing a plate for under the blower which isn't likely going to happen now.

Dual power adders (nitrous and the blower or turbo) don't "play nice" on the 4.0. No one has successfully run nitrous on top. Everyone who has tried has blown up within a short time - the lowest I've seen is about a 25 shot.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
The meth that my friend was running was the "blue stuff" so it was the 35/65 ratio. His wasn't the first one I've seen either.

And having worked on my car and had the blower off a couple of times, never ran meth through it, I haven't lost any coating on the rotors.

No one makes a plate system to go under the blower, and the kits all say you tap in to the intake after the throttle body. Someone would have to take on the task of developing a plate for under the blower which isn't likely going to happen now.

Dual power adders (nitrous and the blower or turbo) don't "play nice" on the 4.0. No one has successfully run nitrous on top. Everyone who has tried has blown up within a short time - the lowest I've seen is about a 25 shot.
Man, so the only viable cooling option for someone with an X-Charger is an intercooling. I know we've kind of hi-jacked this thread...ooops. Have you seen any upgraded FMICs for the X-Charger? It's kind of jacked up you guys are limited like that. Centris are easy.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 PM
JimC

Gaylon is working on the upgrade to a TVS R1900 blower - It will bolt in place of the MP90 with no modification, but the intake had to be made. He has the prototype ready and is in the middle of a build of a new engine for his car (he was on a road course, with 1/4 tank of gas and starved the engine in a turn). As soon as he has the build done he will have the first TVS Xcharger Xtreme.

So there is an option coming -much more efficient blower. I don't know if I can talk my wife into letting me upgrade. She wants me to get a new Mustang instead.