The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Contour SVT

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:29 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Default Contour SVT

Hey guys, my wife and I have a baby boy due in a couple weeks and then in a couple months I transfer back to Norfolk from DC. I take the Metro to work every day (govt subsidizes) so I don't have to rack up the miles on the stang. Back in Norfolk though, there is no way around it...I have to drive or ride along with someone else. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1998 Contour SVT with only 80k on the odo...and it already has some suspension goodies and cared for by an upper middle-aged family man. Going to check it out one last time this weekend.

Mods:

1. Koni adjustable shocks/struts
2. EBC drilled/slotted rotors
3. EBC redstuff pads
4. H&R Sport springs
5. Riken Raptor summer rubber

No other mods. It still has the 2.5...so no 3.0 tauras swap or anything.

How this all came about was pretty miraculous, and lets just say I'm looking at a great deal pricewise. I've been looking for a Contour SVT for some time and this one kind of fell in my lap like 5-6 months ago...and I've been scouting it out every now and then ever since. The prices for these are usually good. They get decent gas mileage. They carry the SVT moniker and it's already slightly hooked up. It's a Ford lol. It's got 4 doors, so can be used to lug around the new baby and wife if we go somewhere...and it's a 5-speed. I'm preferential to manuals.

Youtube doesn't help a whole helluva lot with the SVT Contours. What do you think she'll run? And what is the main competition for an SVT Contour? I honestly don't know...but I've always liked these cars for some reason. 0-60 is like 7 seconds or so, and it's all fine and dandy...I'm not looking to blow doors off, just not be pissed to/from work everyday because I drive a Sentra or something. If I pull the trigger on this one, I think she is going to be good fun getting back and forth to work. Exhaust and a retune. Anyone own one?...have any experience?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I actually ran one from a roll when I "briefly" had an MS3. We went from a 60-65 roll and although he got the jump and I still beat him by a bit (a couple cars to 100 mph), that Contour actually pulled pretty damn good, enough to make me say, "damn"!

They're not really all that quick by today's standards, but are supposed to handle pretty good and be a lot of fun to drive. If you can get a good deal and it suits your needs, jump on it man. Very cool cars imo. Not sure how they respond to mods....