The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

This should help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Finally, the FUN part! I always loved final engine assembly.
On thing I always did at this time was to fill the engine with oil & run the oil pump with a drill until oil pumped out the rocker arms. This prevented the dreaded dry-start, when the engine roars to life without oil pressure. If you decide to do this, I recommend using a socket set with a long extension and taping the socket/extensions together. Yet another use for duct tape.... This prevents the socket from departing and dropping into the oil pan.
You can get obsessive about engine building, but the proof is in the pudding. My street engines never blew and my circle track engines always lasted a full season, not bad for budget builds.

Have fun, there is something quite satisfying about building your own engines. Not to mention the scads of money you save!
Old 05-12-2012, 11:22 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Thats good advice about the tape. I knew that trick but not alot of us know that trick. If I had to drop that oil pan a 3rd time just to fish out a socket. Something is getting killed. It's hot as ***** here in jersey today but the timing cover and water pump are already on.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:06 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Old 05-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Thats good advice about the tape. I knew that trick but not alot of us know that trick. If I had to drop that oil pan a 3rd time just to fish out a socket. Something is getting killed. It's hot as ***** here in jersey today but the timing cover and water pump are already on.
It is something I never thought about until I heard an awful "thunk" when a socket dropped into the oil pan...... I didn't kill anything but I did drink a lot of beer while pondering "what's the worse that could happen?"
I could not justify the risk (after I sobered up) & pulled the pan, what a waste of time & money. After that I used the tape, plus I oil-primed the engines while they were still on the stand, just in case....
Old 05-12-2012, 06:07 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

A lot of crap got bolted on today. Accor. brackets, water pump, timing cover, lower manifold, new 39 pd. injectors & fuel rail. Getting close. Now the hold up. Lost a couple of manifold bolts so had to order a set. So in the mean time I'll put the gas tank up monday. Anyone know any tricks to get the filler neck in other than brute force? Heres a few more pics.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:37 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

Looking good.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

It is looking awesome buddy. Can't wait to do this to my '83.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

That engine bay looks like **** blue. Nice job!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

That is looking great blue!!! I can't wait to do this all over again! So when is the rest of it going to be put together and fired up for the first time??
Old 05-15-2012, 08:10 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Thanks guys. Finally had a few days off and it rained both days. Still have a few more parts to order like valve covers and a new dip stick but it should be done pretty soon. It's funny watching my try to figure out where every plug goes now. Always an adventure.

Quick Reply: This should help