The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

99 GT vs 05 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Default 99 GT vs 05 WRX

Finally after a month of waiting I can post in this section!

I bought my GT about a week before my friend Nick bought his 05 WRX, but he was lucky and my car had to go into the shop for about 2 weeks total, and as soon as I got my car back on the road his car broke down and he decided to do some work to it after riding in my GT.

Heres what he has sent me on a text and what he has said about it on Facebook.

Waste gate, up pipe, bigger turbo ( I cant imagine it will be put in right away) bigger fuel injectors, honed out to a 2.1L. He says it should make close to 280/290 hp, I don't know if thats rwhp or not and also he said atleast 300 tourqe. On Facebook he has a picture of his engine with the caption EJ20, and I am not quite sure what it is. (seems to be multiple kinds)

On to me, I have a bigger throttle body, fuel injectors, aftermarket suspension (I dont know what kind but it has quite a bit) exhaust, CAI, 4:10 gears, I think its called a limited slip differentail, and I think thats about it.

My friend owns a 1985 VW GTI and he has been able to take on Nick from a dig all the way through 3rd gear (missed it), so I don't really expect Nick's AWD to help him at all, as most people tell me he is possibly one of the worst drivers in the world.

I have never full on raced a WRX or an STI but I have run into a few STI/WRX around town and messed around and I get a pretty good pull on most before I have to shut it down (maybe the run would last 3 or 4 car lengths, not pull 3 or 4 on them haha)

Do I have a chance? Will it be close? I am expecting that it will be a drivers race more than anything, in which case I think I could win it. It's killing me on the inside haha He keeps hinting he wants to race with the whole "My car is going to be hella fast bro Im pretty sure I will smack that ford around" But he always makes an excuse not to race.

I welcome all input, tips, ect!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 AM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

IF......capital IF......he is putting down 280+ to the wheels and weighs 100lbs or so less than you, it could get ugly. You are putting out 260 to the fly with few mods and those listed won't help much except for the gears. Who knows.......there are lots of maybes in the air here.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Okbfd, thanks for you input! Hopefully my friend has his car put back together within the next week or two. When we race, i'll be sure to have a video of it all!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

First off welcome to the section haha

What tire do you have on the rear and what size?? Do you know if your car has a tune, and hows your driving from a dig and hows the shifting?? With the mods if your car is driven well it could be a solid 13.5-13.4 car in the 1/4.

His car do you knoe what kind and size of turbo and how much boost he's going to try to run plus did he upgrade the intercooler? All things depend on that stuff and if he is getting a tune right away. He can easily hit gis goal if he has everything set up right. Honestly he could have a easy high 12 sec car.

My thoughts he should have the faster car but if what your friends say is true hopefully you're the faster driver. Dead stop if he can't launch the car I think you could hold him off till the top of your 4th gear (115) but from a low roll if nick can shift decent at all I see you jumping out on him and by 115 Nick could be out on you by 2 cars or so...
Old 05-23-2012, 12:58 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

I have a 2006 STi, stock turbo, but a bunch of mods: APS header/up-pipe/heat shield, Helix downpipe, HKS Carbon Ti catback, APS 65mm CAI, Prodrive boost solenoid, Snow Performance Boost Cooler (70/30 meth and water mix), Walbro fuel pump, Iridium one step colder plugs. My car makes 300 awhp and 400 awtq. The big torque number comes from the equal length header and the meth injection. Weight is around 3,350 lbs. I have never ran the car at a track, but from what others have run with the same power, it should run a mid 12 - maybe better. Obviously your not going to hang with that in your current state.

Your buddy has a WRX which means a 2.0 and not a 2.5. EJ 20 (actually EJ205) is the 2.0l turbo charged boxer engine used in the WRX from 2002 though 2005. The turbo he is upgrading to is an unknown and a big factor in the equation. If the car ends up making 290 awhp and 300 awtq, I say he is going to beat you soundly - all things being equal.

Just a note - launching these AWD cars is not as simple as rev it up and dump the clutch. That will result in a major bog and by the time he gets going you will be well ahead. The proper way is to slip the clutch so you keep the RPM's up around 3k until the clutch is fully out. Takes a little practice, but once you get it down the car shoots out of the hole like it was fired out of a cannon.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

89lx, thanks for the welcoming haha! The previous owner had it all set up for drag racing, so I would highly suspect it has a tune, as for the tire size, they are stock, I am unsure what brand though, but they are brand spanking new. Shifting, i'd like to think I am pretty good at it, take off's are okay, but I have a feeling i'll be better at it than my friend. (he has only been able to drive the car for about a week)

My friend Nick has aftermarket cheap O wheels, and brand new tires. As for the turbo he texted me and said he would like a VF39, hopefully running around 16 pounds of boost and maybe an STI intercooler, but thats somthing he MIGHT do, more than likely it sounds like he wont even upgrade the turbo now, but sometime in the future. As for the tune, he won't get one until later on.

I plan to really try and cutt my weight down, take out the spare tire, only have about a quarter tank of gas, maybe take the back seat out if I'm up for it. There's also a place that sells "racing fuel" just down the road from me, is that safe to run in my car? If so, I may use some of that as well.

Really wish I could know everything he is really going to do and quit with the maybes!!

Last edited by Doyon; 05-23-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Bickety, thanks for the input! I'll have to really start thinking about what I could do to up my chances....

Any advice or tips? Other than trying to reduce my weight and maybe use the race fuel (if its safe). I was talking to my grandfather and he told me to let a little bit of air out of my tires for better traction. Is this true? should I do it?
Old 05-23-2012, 01:41 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doyon
Bickety, thanks for the input! I'll have to really start thinking about what I could do to up my chances....

Any advice or tips? Other than trying to reduce my weight and maybe use the race fuel (if its safe). I was talking to my grandfather and he told me to let a little bit of air out of my tires for better traction. Is this true? should I do it?
I ran BFG drag radials on my blown 2000 GT convertible. They were awesome, but I had regular tires for when it rained or for commuting to work. If you can afford a cheap set of rims and drag radials, that will help a lot.

I just read that he isn't going to upgrade the turbo or tune it. You have nothing to worry about. I say you will now beat him pretty easily. A stock 2005 WRX is not fast. A stock New Edge would beat it. You are not stock. The mods he mentioned won't be enough. You should be good to go.

BTW, the turbo he is talking about is the stock turbo my STi. He's not hitting 290 awhp running that on his 2.1l engine. I have every power mod you can have on the stock VF39 turbo and a bigger engine running meth. I just barely hit 300 awhp. He's sadly misinformed if he thinks he is going to run those numbers with that turbo.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:24 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

^^ what he said stock turbo and tune you got him in the bag but race gas won't help you unless you had a tune for it, letting the air out tge tires is mainly for drag radials or slicks. Just run the tires at what the door say which it should be 32. Less weight helps romove the front sway bar if its still there back seats spare tire and jack and some ppl take the amp tray out the trunk if it has one.

You can practice launching on the street and rev it to 2500-3500 slip the clutch just long enoungh to get going good and little to no wheel spin and with out bogging down falling on its face. If you you don't power shift then maybe practice that too.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Bickety, what sort of power would he be running IF he were to put that turbo in? Sounds like this turbo isn't as impresive as I thought it would be. (no offense to yours Bickety). I plan to do multiple practice launches before we race.

I would buy slicks/DR (its on my wish list), but I bought my tickets to go back to Alaska to fish and visit family (darn fish won over the car, I know)

Hopefully me and him can get this going soon, and I WILL make sure there is a video, whether I lose or win, ill have one for you guys to watch haha

Quick Reply: 99 GT vs 05 WRX