The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Drag racing...a beetle?

Old 06-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

Default Drag racing...a beetle?

Theres this "friend", we get along but not that much, anyways, he's been insisting on drag racing a beetle he had restored, i told him no, joking it would not be fair for him, a couple of times but his persistance is starting to bother me, he claims that he beats bm 3series coupes and audi tts all the times, and that i should listen to his engine roar and that that should be proof that his car is super super fast.

This is his car literally
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh0IN...ailpage#t=116s

by what i can tell he has no turbo no super and is just running a popular dual carb mod for the beetle, like this one,
, but he claims that its just the tip of the iceberg, i wonder how much room for improvement is there in such a small engine bay? he has the interiors intact so his engine is all we can see in the video.

Should i keep telling him no? Should i be worried? I have 08 GT convertible, no mods, only loudmouth axlebacks.

BTW if i do drag racing im videoing it and sharing it with you
Old 06-18-2012, 01:21 AM
joshyross70
1st Gear Member

dont underestimate those motors, im not a techy guy but i know those small things can haul a$$. thats why they use them on sand rails and for baja bugs
Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I used to see old beetles at the drag strip all the time. Not so much in the last 5 years or so, but with the engine right over the rear axle, they make for great little dragsters.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:19 AM
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

i think it will be somewhere along the lines of a streetrace, few trafic, way longer than a 1/4
Old 06-18-2012, 03:02 AM
RHuckster
2nd Gear Member

Back in the early 90's I built a Baja Bug with a 2275 dual port with 44mm Delortos, cam, etc. The block, heads & crank where from a dragster(turboed). The guy that built the engine used the fore mentioned parts from his dragster & this thing litterly flew. @ 140mph the front wheels would lift off the ground due to the air the front baja fenders where catching.
Back then I was blowing off 5.0's without the engine breathing hard. Never had it dynoed but the guy that built it owned his own VW shop & still does to this day & he estimated somewhere over 200hp & with the car being as light as bugs are it was a rocket. But even with the hugh wheels & tires in the back 1st gear was pretty much useless, just got it rolling in 1st & slammed 2nd & tried to keep the car going straight with the front wheels off the ground. It was a blast to drive but with all the maint. issues I would never do it again. Could'nt keep clutches in it, special buil bus tranny & still had problems & with the heads exremely ported out because of its former life as a turbo engine they where constantly cracking. When I sold it the clutch was on its way out & needed new heads that weren't so ported out.
Sorry for my rambling but it was my 1st bug & my last.

Rick
Old 06-18-2012, 03:36 AM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the reports guys, nice to hear that.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:13 AM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

I'd give your friend the benefit of the doubt. Go to the drag strip with him & see what it'll do. Some of those haul azz. My dad used to take me to the drag strip & there was a normally asperated dual port set up with dual webbers much like your friends set up, & 1800cc (I think) & it ran 11.20's No super charger, no turbos etc. That thing just ripped!!