The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Drag racing tips for 2013 GT automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Default Drag racing tips for 2013 GT automatic?

Anyone got tips? I've never been to a strip before but will be going this weekend. I'm curious as to what people have been doing in their 2013s especially but 2011+ autos would be okay too.

I wanna know if I should keep the transmission in D or S and what setting on the traction control would be best?

I'm going stock with street tires and won't be burning them up.

Please any advice would be great.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:50 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I run mine in D with traction control on. Baby it off the line...just come off a little off idle then once rolling....hammer it. It's gonna spin but the traction control will keep it under wraps. Have fun and good luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by code3GT
I run mine in D with traction control on. Baby it off the line...just come off a little off idle then once rolling....hammer it. It's gonna spin but the traction control will keep it under wraps. Have fun and good luck.
Great that's what I was thinking, also 2013's have a sport shifting mode but I'm not sure that would be good. It might spin too much.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

it's your first time - why not experiment and see what works best for you? you can monitor your times and see what improves your times, and what doesn't. you'll find a sweet point for your launching RPM and the amount of throttle you're able to give it at any given time before you're able to keep your foot down .. it will all click. just go and have fun, it will all come together!

as mentioned above, you can leave traction control on if you want, but it may actually harm times with how invasive it can be. your right foot is an excellent source of traction control : ). I would personally turn traction control off but leave stability control on. see what you like best. I'd also leave it in automatic shifting mode - one of the pros about having an auto is the consistency and quick shifting, beats out manual most of the time.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

I would turn TCS off, hold the brake and build the revs as high as you can without braking the tires loose (should be around 2k rpm?) and ****ing launch the **** out of it.

...but then again I have a 3v so what do I know lol

You should hook better than code3 though, since you have 19's and likely stickier tires.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zodiac
Anyone got tips? I've never been to a strip before but will be going this weekend. I'm curious as to what people have been doing in their 2013s especially but 2011+ autos would be okay too.

I wanna know if I should keep the transmission in D or S and what setting on the traction control would be best?

I'm going stock with street tires and won't be burning them up.

Please any advice would be great.
first things first...DO NOT warm your tires...even if they are summer/UHP's, they are still a harder compound than drag radials and it's not needed...let the track help you grip-n-go. remember, the fastest distance between 2 points is a straight line...let the car react and you adjust. Try not to over steer...hold her straight and true

Secondly...DO NOT worry about the tree...learn to stage at YOUR pace and get a feel for how your car is sitting at the line. Your time does not start until you break the light...so ignore everything else...build a routine and get yourself comfortable. Screw reaction times until you feel you know your surroundings and how the car launches.

Thirdly...i would do your first run with TCS on..get a feel for reactions and shift patterns in the car. From there on out...turn everything off (hold TCS button and brake for 8 sec).

Fourthly...you have an auto....launch it! You have "easy mode"! Hold the brake, rev it to 3000rpm and LAUNCH! LAUNCH! LAUNCH!
Once you get going, you have only one thing to focus on...MASHING THE GO PEDAL!
There is no reason after about 3-4 passes that you shouldn't be running low 13's to high 12's consistently.

Lastly...when and where are you going??
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by steel pony
first things first...DO NOT warm your tires...even if they are summer/UHP's, they are still a harder compound than drag radials and it's not needed...let the track help you grip-n-go. remember, the fastest distance between 2 points is a straight line...let the car react and you adjust. Try not to over steer...hold her straight and true

Secondly...DO NOT worry about the tree...learn to stage at YOUR pace and get a feel for how your car is sitting at the line. Your time does not start until you break the light...so ignore everything else...build a routine and get yourself comfortable. Screw reaction times until you feel you know your surroundings and how the car launches.

Thirdly...i would do your first run with TCS on..get a feel for reactions and shift patterns in the car. From there on out...turn everything off (hold TCS button and brake for 8 sec).

Fourthly...you have an auto....launch it! You have "easy mode"! Hold the brake, rev it to 3000rpm and LAUNCH! LAUNCH! LAUNCH!
Once you get going, you have only one thing to focus on...MASHING THE GO PEDAL!
There is no reason after about 3-4 passes that you shouldn't be running low 13's to high 12's consistently.

Lastly...when and where are you going??
Saturday at Fayetteville. I'm going to skip C&C and make the strip. They say they open this weekend going to call beforehand.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Hmmm...what time?
Whats this for? just open track day? Run what you brung?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Just take your time and learn the car. Test and Tune nights are best as you can get tons and tons of runs in. When I first took my car to the strip, I ran a 13.9....A 13.9! With a Kenne Bell! As you can imagine, I was pissed! At myself more than anything. But I kept running and that same night I left with a 12.59.

Go with a full tank of gas. Weight in the rear helps a lot. Auto makes your life much easier, but play around with it. Try it on, try it off, try not launching, different launch points, etc.

I'm not sure about the whole tire thing that was said above though...I mean I'm blown, but still, I know for a fact that I got better traction with my street tires heated than not. I'm not saying I would do it in an auto, but warm tires=better grip.

Good luck and don't forget to share your times!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by steel pony
Hmmm...what time?
Whats this for? just open track day? Run what you brung?
I plan on getting there around noon tomorrow. Yeah it's open test and tune run whatever. I just gotta make sure they are open.

Also thank you everyone for the advice, I'm setting a goal of 13.5 although I know the car has more in it, it's just my first time and still learning the new car.

That way if I'm faster I can feel really great.

Quick Reply: Drag racing tips for 2013 GT automatic?