The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Got another LS1

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Back to your car, are you sure 700/800 hp will be enough ? lol
It should suffice for a little while!

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Unfortunatly I think it is going to be a low to mid 13 second car the way it sits. I've been trying to talk my brother in law into doing a turbo 5.3 build for his S10. The small displacement GM motors are doing great things on boost as far as a budget junk yard motor goes. Hell even if you blow the motor you just go to the bone yard and get another for $300-500. They are a dime a dozen. Met a guy that had one in a fox last weekend running 9s!
Yea, I'm afraid I got a weak LS this time. I agree, 13.3-13.5 with a sub 108 trap. But yea man, those little GM motors are where its at. I'm hoping to get the one for sale here locally within the next few days. He only wants $600 for it and it includes all accessories, pcm, etc. Can't beat it.

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Congrats on the Z

Hard top and a Dark color FTW! I kinda wish I had a hard top sometimes, but the T-tops are still fun on sunny days.

2.73 gears? I hear they're not that bad actually and pretty close to the 3.23's in the first two gears, it's 3rd and overdrive that's stretched out.
Thanks Stealth, and congrats to you as well! The 2.73s aren't as bad as they sound. It'll still blow the tires away pedaling it through 1st. The stall helps counter the tall gearing a lot. They may even be the best gear for a turbo build, not sure yet.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:01 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Can't wait til you get this thing running the way that it should. Gotta ask man. Out of all the cars that you've had (Mach 1, Camaro SS, Trailbalzer SS, GTO, Cobalt SS) which felt the fastest and which had the most potential?
Old 05-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Can't wait til you get this thing running the way that it should. Gotta ask man. Out of all the cars that you've had (Mach 1, Camaro SS, Trailbalzer SS, GTO, Cobalt SS) which felt the fastest and which had the most potential?
Camaro SS by far. The others had drawbacks in the drag department. Cobalt was FWD, Mach needed a built engine and a forced induction to really make fast(although nitrous would've prob carried it into the high 11s safely), GTOs are just too damn heavy and tough to get the rear end right for good 60's...but the SS was light, RWD, and relatively cheap to run mid 11s with. There was a lot left in that car as it sat, not to mention I had just barely scratched the surface with that tiny cam and 243s I had on it. With a bigger stall and slicks it would've gotten very close to 10s. It didn't feel as fast with just bolt ons as the Cobalt or Mach did, but it was. And once I did the heads/cam in it, she would make you dizzy compared to the others.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:21 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Camaro SS by far. The others had drawbacks in the drag department. Cobalt was FWD, Mach needed a built engine and a forced induction to really make fast(although nitrous would've prob carried it into the high 11s safely), GTOs are just too damn heavy and tough to get the rear end right for good 60's...but the SS was light, RWD, and relatively cheap to run mid 11s with. There was a lot left in that car as it sat, not to mention I had just barely scratched the surface with that tiny cam and 243s I had on it. With a bigger stall and slicks it would've gotten very close to 10s. It didn't feel as fast with just bolt ons as the Cobalt or Mach did, but it was. And once I did the heads/cam in it, she would make you dizzy compared to the others.
Kinda what I figured. I know today's cars are fast but I still say the LS1 engine started it all. Took ford and dodge a long time to catch up....
Old 05-07-2015, 08:42 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

LS1 was definitely a game changer. Ford has their mess together these days for sure. Even the Mach was a competitor to the LS1, but didn't have the easy potential of the old push rod LS. Sounds like GM is fighting back though. The new Camaro is supposed to be 200lbs lighter, and then theres all the badass Caddy's floating around..
Old 05-07-2015, 09:23 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Only a matter of time before it's for sale! I like this car man, try and keep it! I'd say go the lq9 route. 4.8's take away a lot of the advantage ls's have with the cubes. I bet you run a 12.9@109!!!
Old 05-08-2015, 12:18 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Looking forward to the results! My car feels very strong for just bare bones stock. I can't wait to at least get a Lid, cut out and drag radials for the track... I hear torque converters on these cars and drag radials do AMAZING things

A guy (possibly many) over on LS1 tech are running high 11's with those mods alone but with 4000 stalls, 3.73 gears/Posi and tires.

For me, I am expecting 13.2@105 mph stock, just gotta learn how to launch again!
Old 05-08-2015, 07:27 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Looking forward to the results! My car feels very strong for just bare bones stock. I can't wait to at least get a Lid, cut out and drag radials for the track... I hear torque converters on these cars and drag radials do AMAZING things

A guy (possibly many) over on LS1 tech are running high 11's with those mods alone but with 4000 stalls, 3.73 gears/Posi and tires.

For me, I am expecting 13.2@105 mph stock, just gotta learn how to launch again!
11's with that setup is going to be really rare. Buddy of mine has a '00 t/a with longtubes, cutout, 4k stall, lid, tune, and dr's. He ran a 12.2 last fall in good weather. I dont see how an 11.9 would be possible with less mods unless it was below sea level.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:25 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
11's with that setup is going to be really rare. Buddy of mine has a '00 t/a with longtubes, cutout, 4k stall, lid, tune, and dr's. He ran a 12.2 last fall in good weather. I dont see how an 11.9 would be possible with less mods unless it was below sea level.
Not sure if it's okay to link to another site but..

http://ls1tech.com/forums/11-second-...w-11-85-a.html

Me personally, anywhere near low 12's with bolt on's, stall, tires, tune and I'd be a happy camper until I progressed into the engine ( Heads/cam/intake manifold etc.)
Old 05-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Only a matter of time before it's for sale! I like this car man, try and keep it! I'd say go the lq9 route. 4.8's take away a lot of the advantage ls's have with the cubes. I bet you run a 12.9@109!!!
Lol, everythings for sale, but I am going to avoid selling. I like this one because for what I paid for it I don't have to feel bad about ripping into it. I just dropped another 60lbs today, so I'm up to 80lbs off on top of the weight drop from the spare, jack, headers/cats/stock muffler, etc. Should be around 3260lbs by now.

Agreed, it is rare. I did go 12.2 at 114 in mine with full exhaust, 3.73, tune, intake, and stock stall in really decent air..but that car was a rare one. It probably would've cut a high 11 with enough stall and DRs/slicks.

Quick Reply: Got another LS1