Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

FRPP Whipple SuperCharger Tune or Custom Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:02 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Default FRPP Whipple SuperCharger Tune or Custom Tune?

I will be getting the FRPP Whipple SC at the beginning of the year for my 2010 GT and have the option of a few different tunes.

My main concern is saftey. I'm not looking to make as much power as I can.

Would the FRPP tune be the safest, I seen videos of their testing on the SC on a 5.0L and imagine that testing went on the 4.6L also.

There is also email tunes, Lund and Bama.
I currently have a Bama tune.

No matter what tune I will be on the dyno the day I finish the install to test it out and make sure it is safe.

For mods that will be on the car with the SC is just a Roush Cat-Back Exhaust. And I don't plan on adding anything to it anytime soon. If anything depending on the dyno I might swap pulleys to lower boost alittle.

Since I'm keeping it simple will I be good with the FRPP tune?
The Bama tune is free and wouldn't have a problem buying the Lund tune either to test out.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2011, 02:31 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

going to a dyno anyway...get it dyno tuned...dyno w/F ratio, ect = $75...dyno tune = $300...$225 for peace of mind/putting the car EXACTLY where you want it power-wise = priceless
Old 08-25-2011, 04:30 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
going to a dyno anyway...get it dyno tuned...dyno w/F ratio, ect = $75...dyno tune = $300...$225 for peace of mind/putting the car EXACTLY where you want it power-wise = priceless
Yes that makes sense but I was looking those that have the FRPP SC tune. Last I checked you can't find one with a FRPP tune that has let go, but there are others with dyno and mail tunes that have.

But yes I might just get the FRPP tune and see how it does on the dyno and if I need some tweeks to make it safe I will have it tuned on the spot.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:25 PM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

You have several options. I was able to save 200-300 by deleting the FRPP tune and I got a mail order tune from VMP for $250. Tune is great... Then took it to JDM dyno to ensure it all looked good. A simple dyno check isnt as good as having someone hook up all the gear to see everything that's going on through OBD port and check Fuel pressure, timing etc. Best thing is to have it dyno tuned if you have a good tuner locally, 2nd best is to get a mail order tune from a known good tuner with Whipple experience.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:47 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by demarcom
You have several options. I was able to save 200-300 by deleting the FRPP tune and I got a mail order tune from VMP for $250. Tune is great... Then took it to JDM dyno to ensure it all looked good. A simple dyno check isnt as good as having someone hook up all the gear to see everything that's going on through OBD port and check Fuel pressure, timing etc. Best thing is to have it dyno tuned if you have a good tuner locally, 2nd best is to get a mail order tune from a known good tuner with Whipple experience.
Thanks.
I have to check and see if I get the FRPP tuner along with a custom tune. I was hoping I actually had the option of having 3 tunes for $250 extra. But if I had to have just one I think I will just get a custom tune with the kit.

I always have them check everything to make sure the tune is safe.

Anyone know what size the stock pulley and if there is a post of something with the hp/tq by pulley, I know it wont be exact but will give me a good idea if I wanna lower boost. I'm thinking about running a smaller pulley just to be extra safe even though I have been ensured by a few companies that the kit will be safe as is.

Thanks again.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:36 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Well, the stock pulley for the whipple HO kit was 3.125 last year. The whipple tune is safe and good, I recently bought a tuner from AM and got the bama tunes for free and they are WAY off, ping city all over the place, I guess they don't know whipples. In their defense, I haven't even contacted them on it to try to tweak it, but it was so far off, I'm not sure it's even worth it, thinking about trying a Lund tune, he's supposed to know the whipples. The only reason I need a tune is to turn off the nanny mode speed limiter. Overall I've been happy with the whipple tune...
Also, if you want to be safer, you would go with a larger pulley, not a smaller one (I'm assuming you are talking about the supercharger pulley), smaller supercharger pulley = more boost/power.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:22 AM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Well, the stock pulley for the whipple HO kit was 3.125 last year. The whipple tune is safe and good, I recently bought a tuner from AM and got the bama tunes for free and they are WAY off, ping city all over the place, I guess they don't know whipples. In their defense, I haven't even contacted them on it to try to tweak it, but it was so far off, I'm not sure it's even worth it, thinking about trying a Lund tune, he's supposed to know the whipples. The only reason I need a tune is to turn off the nanny mode speed limiter. Overall I've been happy with the whipple tune...
Also, if you want to be safer, you would go with a larger pulley, not a smaller one (I'm assuming you are talking about the supercharger pulley), smaller supercharger pulley = more boost/power.

Thanks.
Yeah I meant to say larger pulley for lower boost.
I think I will run it how it comes, I have added FI before and more than doubled the stock HP and haven't had any issues.
I need to comfirm if the FRPP tuner comes with the kit if you also get the Lund tune. I'd like to try it just because of the fact that you can just throw it on and be good...it would still go on the dyno right after install.
But if I have to choose I will most likely just get the Lund tune and have it checked on the dyno.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:30 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

It can come 3 ways, the cheapest option is the one where you do not get the FRPP "procal" tuner and you just overnight your PCM to Whipple they flash it up and then overnight it back to you, you install it and go, the next option is with the "procal" tuner and you flash the PCM when you are done and go. The lund tune is an add-on option, but from what I can tell, it's cheapest to get it at the same time as the supercharger, I need to talk the lethal guys into making me a deal on that though. I hear RET in socal is pretty good on the dyno tuning.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:39 PM
07vbluestang
2nd Gear Member

my 550 frpp whipple h.o. was on a mustang dyno and it was 469 rwhp 442 rwt. it had a 3.375 pulley and 11 lbs. of boost with the procal tune. it had lots of low end torque. i added 1 3/4" kooks lt and 3" catted h pipe and lost 13 hp and 3 torque. boost went down to 9.5 lbs with my dyno custom tune cause of the headers. i spend $3000 and lost horsepower. i switched to a 3.25 pulley, boost went to 11 lbs. again but didnt run as good. wit 3.375 pulley back on my track time is 12.004@122.84 mph. i should of stayed with frrp procal tune.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I ended up going with RET tune, I have no baseline from the Whipple tune, but it ended up with 467RWHP and 454RWTQ. He said that he had never seen the airbox setup on the 2008 kit before and guessed that the MAF mapping was off on the mail-order tunes due to the different configuration, he had SCT create a template out of the stock Whipple tune in order to make sure airflow was correct rather than guess and tweak it. I think it turned out pretty decent, I don't know that it is any better or worse than the Whipple tune in normal driving but it is spot on in WOT runs. I'll use him again as I do more go-fast mods, may need a race gas tune.
07vbluestang, so you are noticing a tune issue with different pulley sizes?

Quick Reply: FRPP Whipple SuperCharger Tune or Custom Tune?