Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Return to stock failed - car wont start!!!!

Old 12-03-2012, 01:45 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Anytime you tune your car you risk something going wrong and bricking the ECU. Just be glad it was recoverable.

Even with SCT you can have issues. Example: I once uploaded a different Bama Tune with my SCT tuner to my car that already had a Bama Tune in it (same hand held device). It failed to upload to the car. I got a programming ERROR on the SCT and the car would not turn over, no fuel pump, or anything. I reflashed to the stock tune without any issues then reattempted the performance tune. It worked fine on the second try. No explanation that I could figure out why the first upload failed.

Battery was fine and everything was going fine until it hit about 90% completed.
You should always return ECU to stock before adding a tune. It worked 2nd time because you were flashing the stock tune like you should have in the 1st place.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Derf00
Anytime you tune your car you risk something going wrong and bricking the ECU. Just be glad it was recoverable.

Even with SCT you can have issues. Example: I once uploaded a different Bama Tune with my SCT tuner to my car that already had a Bama Tune in it (same hand held device). It failed to upload to the car. I got a programming ERROR on the SCT and the car would not turn over, no fuel pump, or anything. I reflashed to the stock tune without any issues then reattempted the performance tune. It worked fine on the second try. No explanation that I could figure out why the first upload failed.

Battery was fine and everything was going fine until it hit about 90% completed.
This is true.

You'll never hear about it, but even dealers brick PCMs doing factory updates now and then...

Originally Posted by FrostByte
You should always return ECU to stock before adding a tune. It worked 2nd time because you were flashing the stock tune like you should have in the 1st place.
This, at least in the case of our tuners, is not so true...

With our tuning devices there is no need to flash the PCM back to stock prior to changig the tune thats being loaded to the PCM, its simply not necessary, nor do I see how/why it would be even with a different tool?

I promise you there's not a dyno tuner out there (who is getting paid for his time) that puts the car back to the stock tune between each tune he loads on the dyno

Thanks
Old 08-24-2014, 03:15 PM
spyder.mustang

Default mine is dead now

hate to revive an old thread but i got a diablosport intune tuner on my 2011 gt 5.0 and now it says no ecu found and car wont start.

it said error and cant write file then it tryed to load the previous file or whatever and bam, no ecu found.

thanks diablosport. this tuner sucks.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:33 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

You should have started your own thread. You'd get a better response and it is more appropriate, seeing how this thread is from 2012.

Did you call them? That would make more sense than posting to a 2 year old thread and waiting for them to come around and see it.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:08 PM
spyder.mustang

yep. i called em and mailed the computer so they can reflash it. hopefully it works.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:36 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

I guess I'm just confused as to why "this tuner sucks." If your car's headlight goes out are you going to post to a forum and say, "Thanks ford...your cars suck" ? ? ?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Sorry to hear you ran into an issue.

I can assure you this is by no means a common problem, and we will get your PCM reflashed and overnighted back to you tomorrow. Its already in the hands of our Ford calibrator for testing/reflashing.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2014, 10:03 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
Sorry to hear you ran into an issue.

I can assure you this is by no means a common problem, and we will get your PCM reflashed and overnighted back to you tomorrow. Its already in the hands of our Ford calibrator for testing/reflashing.

Thanks
I do not currently have one of your products, but thanks for doing the right thing.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:11 AM
spyder.mustang

UPDATE:
so I called on Monday, and customer service was excellent. they tried to solve the issue and they asked me to send in the PCM. a short time later I got the shipping labels, printed them and shipped it out.

they got it Tuesday, reflashed it and sent it out the same day. (pretty fast isn't it)

so its weds and the PCM is due back but it hasn't been delivered yet.

overall, customer service is great. would I recommend the tuner? I think I would.

THANKS MIKE FOR THE HELP. YOU ROCK!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Glad we could help, and sorry to hear it happened in the first place, let us know if you need anything else.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Return to stock failed - car wont start!!!!