Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Return to stock failed - car wont start!!!!

Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 AM
SixIron

Default Return to stock failed - car wont start! - Fixed

2012 GT with Auto tranny. Diablosport InTune and JLT CAI. Didn't like certain aspects of the tune, mostly tranny shift points and firmness. Last night I did the return to stock and it FAILED, even in recovery mode. Now the car will not even start. The instrument panel goes red when the key is turned on.

I am so screwed. Diablosport is closed till Monday.

Option 1. Wait till Monday, see if they can help.

Option 2. Have my car towed to the dealer tomorrow, face possible powertrain warranty void and probably pay a small fortune.

Option 3. Someone here has been thru this and can help.

I previously had a SCT tuner on the car and even after returning it to stock, the Diablosport dealer had a hell of a time getting the InTune installed. He assured me however when it finally went on, that I would be able to return to stock with no problem.

Last edited by SixIron; 11-28-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Wanted to note in subject that it was resolved.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:38 PM
SixIron

The tuner manufacturer had me pull the ECU and overnight it to them and they shipped it back to me today, freshly reprogrammed back to factory stock according to them. I'll update this when it's back in the car and running again. Hopefully tomorrow, crossing fingers!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Kinda why I never considered a tune.

I've bricked at least a half dozen computers flashing them. Not about to start with a $35K car.

Does it run at least?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:17 PM
SixIron

I am now back up and running. I have to give kudos to Diablosport. The timing when this happened was very unfortunate for me, but after contacting them Monday morning, they got this issue fixed as fast as anyone could expect. I had to pull the ECU, send it to them and they reprogrammed it back to stock on their bench then sent it back to me, just received it an hour ago. I had to pull the CAI and I'm going to run stock for a little while at least before redoing any mods.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:15 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I've had ZERO issues with my SCT tuner with BAMA and dyno tunes. I guess I'm somewhat lucky.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 PM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

^^ I had no problems at all as well. The SCT tuner is great and the people at BAMA are very nice as well. Try going with them next time.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:44 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

OP.. Glad you're back up and running. I remember the first time I uploaded a tune to my car I was scared to death. :-)

But since then I've probably uploaded tunes about 20-30 times with no issues. And returned to stock at least 5 times for SCT tuner updates, etc.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 AM
SixIron

For those recommending the SCT, I already own and have used that tuner as well.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Wish I knew what happened here, but its certainly not something we see on a regular basis.

Im sure that the tool is fine now, we tested it and updated it while it was here as well.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Anytime you tune your car you risk something going wrong and bricking the ECU. Just be glad it was recoverable.

Even with SCT you can have issues. Example: I once uploaded a different Bama Tune with my SCT tuner to my car that already had a Bama Tune in it (same hand held device). It failed to upload to the car. I got a programming ERROR on the SCT and the car would not turn over, no fuel pump, or anything. I reflashed to the stock tune without any issues then reattempted the performance tune. It worked fine on the second try. No explanation that I could figure out why the first upload failed.

Battery was fine and everything was going fine until it hit about 90% completed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Return to stock failed - car wont start!!!!