Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Bama tune issues with my 2013 GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 12:42 PM
KobraKommander13

Default Bama tune issues with my 2013 GT

OK, I have been going back and forth with Bama Perf for a few months now and my GT still runs like ***. I bought this car used last Oct and it had a BBK CAI,BBK long tubes, BBK off-road Xpipe ,and Flow master outlaw exhaust. When I bought it it ran like a beast and even passed two emissions tests. One the dealer did and the other I had done to make sure it was a legit emissions paper they gave me. No cats BTW and still passed GA emissions.
Well long story long, the tune that was on it when I bought it was a goofy ghost tune of some sort. I wanted that gone and fix the idle back to normal and get rid of the strong exhaust smell I was covered in every time I drove it.
I ordered an SCTx4 tuner from AM with the free Bama tunes for life and ran their 89 octane tune. Well that's when the car started idling up and down spontaneously between 900-300 or so rpms intermittently. The engine also developed either a fuel too lean or too rich issue causing it to surge or choke down under load at times (sometimes it runs decent for a while between surging fits). I have taken the car to two mechanics who both said the car needs either shortie headers and cats, the tune needs to be redone to turn the o2 sensors off, or the tune needs to be redone period.
I have seen so many of these cars running long tubes no cats etc and not having any issues wit them. What can I do to fix this?
I'm at the point I want to push this car off a cliff lol. Seriously though every time I got into the garage it ruins the rest of my day when I see it. I went from being super proud of my car to detesting it.

Last edited by KobraKommander13; 07-18-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Hmm...questions:

1) How were you able to load the new AM tune from a new SCTx4 without the original factory tune on the car to start with? My understanding is that in order to put a new tune on a car from a new-to-the-car handheld is that the car has to have the factory tune on it so that the handheld can store it before uploading the new tune. It's called marrying a hand-held tuner to your car. A SCTx4 can only be married to one car and the car can only be married to one hand-held tuner.

2) 85 octane tune? Never heard of one or that octane (?) If it does exist, that's probably part of your problem there. Higher octanes allow more leeway for a computer to adjust timing and A/F ratio as needed before it gets into a potential detonation issue. A super low octane would narrow the adjustment window considerably and give the computer fits if the Air intake Temp, engine temp, or fuel mixture get out of whack and it can't adjust the way it needs in order to bring things back into balance. Try something more normal like 89 (or even at least 87).
Old 07-18-2016, 02:43 PM
KobraKommander13

Sorry the 85 was a typo it was 89. As far as "marrying" the scanner goes, I have no clue. This was my first tuner and first time using one. The car had a ghost cam tune on it when I bought it. It never had a factory tune as long as I have had it.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:33 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

What part of Georgia are you in? We have a facility in Valdosta, GA & one our lead tuners is in that location ... may be able to get it fixed for you & be close to home at the same time.

Shoot me a note & we can get the conversation started.

We have a single tune for $99.00 or tunes for life for $150.00. Might be something you are interested in, knowing you may already have quite a bit invested.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 07-19-2016, 04:47 PM
KobraKommander13

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
What part of Georgia are you in? We have a facility in Valdosta, GA & one our lead tuners is in that location ... may be able to get it fixed for you & be close to home at the same time.

Shoot me a note & we can get the conversation started.

We have a single tune for $99.00 or tunes for life for $150.00. Might be something you are interested in, knowing you may already have quite a bit invested.

Best Regards,

TJ
Hi, TJ,
I appreciate the offer. I live quite a ways out from Valdosta in Fayette County. Although the tune price sounds great. I have an appointment at injected engineering next week for a dyno tune and full inspection at around $700... I wish I were closer to Valdosta as its a 6 hour and almost 400 mile round trip.
Chris W.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:18 AM
ragnarok11

Did you actually contact BAMA with the specific modifications done to the car? It sounds like you just loaded an 89 octane preloaded tune (the ones that come from SCT themselves) which are not meant for any modifications (such as CAI/Long tubes etc) -

In device info - what does it say for "Current Flash"?