Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Do-it-yourself Lopey Cam Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 04:46 PM
Black__Betty

Post Do-it-yourself Lopey Cam Tune?

I've got a 2015 GT. I'm trying to make it sound like this:
. I'm new to the tuning side of things, so I need some advice.

From what I've found there are a couple companies that make "ghost/lope cam" tunes that change the timing to sound like what I'm looking for. But each of those require you to remove the catalytic converters. Is there any way I can achieve the sound without removing them completely? I need them to pass emissions in my state (GA).

Would a similar setup to the one you recommended below work? This was for a Corvette, but you'll get an idea of what he recommended.
They beauty of modern muscle is how strong yet streetable you can make these cars...

You can get a 3000+ stall and hardly ever know it is there until you hit the gas..

What you are looking for is a 3000 stall with a 2.0-2.5 STR with lock up.
What that lock up does for you, is after first gear the tq converter "locks up" and drives just like a stock converter, the only slip you will feel is minor and only in 1st gear, all the rest will feel just as tight as stock, however when you hit the gas you will feel a night and day difference, your rpms will jump strait into your TQ band and bury you in your seat like a 10 story roller coaster.

I am not a Fan of the "hotcam" there are many other cams out there that are just as tame but make better power...

If I were setting it up for you I would be looking for a cam around....

221/221 @.050 540/540 lift on a comp cams xe-r lobe and 112 LSA It will gurgle nicely, retain a very even idle, and make gobs of midrange power .

the converter I posted above will compliment it nicely
the LG headers you have choosen will allow the cam to breath
and the offroad x combined with bullet mufflers will make sure every head turns as you drive by...
Any advice you can give would be appreciated! (And hopefully in terms I can understand) Also, any recommended shops near Atlanta that could help me pull this off??
Old 12-15-2017, 09:01 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I'm confused, are you looking to tune the car yourself (with no tuning knowledge) to make it sound like it's cammed or put cams in your DOHC Coyote that a Corvette guy suggested? Neither are a good idea, unless I'm reading that wrong.

The only way to make it sound like the car in the video is to duplicate what he did. Same exhaust, same tune, etc. If you were to put in a set of aftermarket cams, you'll end up spending way more $$ than you're probably expecting and it still won't sound like the ghost cam tune. It won't chop as hard. I haven't done cams on my S550 but I've done cams on my previous mustang, I can assure you it's not cheap. I may be wrong but I'd guess if you went into the transmission, changed the torque converter, went "into" the motor, did cams, you'd probably want to do full exhaust at that point. I could see full exhaust, cams, torque converter, etc. + labor running $5,000+ but like I said I could be wrong... oh then you will STILL need to get a tune.