MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1994-2004-mustangs-4/)
-   -   ACTUAL HP gain question? Heads, cam and intake, is it really worth it? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1994-2004-mustangs/10686-actual-hp-gain-question-heads-cam-and-intake-is-it-really-worth-it.html)

02MustangZealot 02-26-2004 06:30 AM

ACTUAL HP gain question? Heads, cam and intake, is it really worth it?

Whats up, I drive a 2002 3.8 V6 and I have some questions about gaining HP. What would be more logical, getting ported heads, cam and intakes on the existing 3.8 or picking up a 4.6 GT engine/tranny and making the swap? Through rpm-mustangs, the ported heads, cam, intakes, gaskets etc..it would come close to $2k. How much more HP would one expect from the P. heads, cam and intakes compared to dropping the 4.6 in there? Last thing, how much would the 4.6 GT engine/tranny end up running me total at the end?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

HRnB 02-26-2004 01:12 PM

RE: ACTUAL HP gain question? Heads, cam and intake, is it really worth it?

If you put a SSX stage 3 HiPo power pak on your V6, you will add a little over 90 HP which will put you at a little over 280 fwhp = about $2,500.00 by the time your done.

If you do a 4.6 swap you will be at 260 fwhp = about $5,000.00 by the time your done.

A 280 HP V6 is unique and admired and much lighter than a 4.6 and it's components, plus you still only pay insuance on a V6 = close to $1,000.00 a year.

slegos888 02-26-2004 05:28 PM

hotrods what is this fwhp u speak of? i know about bhp and rwhp but isnt fwhp front wheel horsepower did u do some strange front wheel drive conversion? and th 4.6 is 260hp at the crank they only make about 230 at the wheels front or back depending on if he does ur conversion too! lol

98LS1 02-26-2004 05:40 PM

ORIGINAL: slegos888

hotrods what is this fwhp u speak of? i know about bhp and rwhp but isnt fwhp front wheel horsepower did u do some strange front wheel drive conversion? and th 4.6 is 260hp at the crank they only make about 230 at the wheels front or back depending on if he does ur conversion too! lol

fly wheel horse power

02-26-2004 05:41 PM

He's talking about flywheel horsepower, or the power measured at the flywheel. AKA crank hp...

rwhp=rear wheel hp
fwhp=flywheel hp
Fwhp= Front wheel hp

Thats usually how I'd distinguish between the two if I didn't feel like typing out flywheel horsepower all the time.

HRnB 02-26-2004 06:25 PM

Hey Slego. I know your just goofin because you know more about Mustang engines than most people here. I've been using that term because that's what most people seem to be familier with. The last time I used "brake horse power" and "Crank horse power" it took me an hour to explane it and I'm just too damn lazy to go through that all the time, LOL.

Funny though, LOL Front Wheel horse power. I think my Stang's front wheel horse power is somewhere in the neighbor hood of around zero, errr, something like that[sm=smiley24.gif]

slegos888 02-27-2004 02:00 AM

i was just goofin i know u didnt do a conversion lol ;) but i had never heard of flywheel hp called fwhp before but know i did so thanx!

slegos888 02-27-2004 02:02 AM

speakin of engines... there was a guy on 3.8mustang.com board who didnt know that he had an iron engine block that tart thought it was aluminum!! dang kids!!! p.s. im only gonna be 19 march 19th but dang those kids neway!

HRnB 02-27-2004 04:28 PM

speakin of engines... there was a guy on 3.8mustang.com board who didnt know that he had an iron engine block that tart thought it was aluminum!! dang kids!!! p.s. im only gonna be 19 march 19th but dang those kids neway!
punk[sm=smiley4.gif]