V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters
Old 10-27-2015, 11:15 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 01:35 PM
coop7
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix

I did it a while ago...
Loved the way it drove...
But I had to use zip ties cause I couldn't tighten the screws in the clamps...
Not enough room...
Zip ties worked...
For a little while...
Now it's just about back to normal...
How the hell did ya'll tighten the clamps?
Small hands or somethin?

-Cooper
Old 12-04-2007, 07:31 PM
d4rken

ORIGINAL: coop7

I did it a while ago...
Loved the way it drove...
But I had to use zip ties cause I couldn't tighten the screws in the clamps...
Not enough room...
Zip ties worked...
For a little while...
Now it's just about back to normal...
How the hell did ya'll tighten the clamps?
Small hands or somethin?

-Cooper
The clamps have a spot for a flathead screwdriver to be used... but I didn't use the clamps either... didn't wanna mess with it in those cramped quarters. I re-did it today with some tubing that I trimmed to a smaller diameter, and with 3 zip ties it was stiff and works great... I can try to post some pics later. This place seems a little more involved than the 3.8mustang.com forums. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 12-05-2007, 09:47 AM
RedDevilSC
1st Gear Member

This was just what the doc ordered!My biggest complaintabout my carhad been how "soft" the gas pedal seemed to be. I got some3/4 fuel line at Lowe's and some ties and had it on there in about 5 minutes. There wasa little over an inch of slack in mine b4 the mod.The difference was amazing. I didn't realize when I went to back it out of the driveway how much different the throttle response would be, and needless to say I found out quick!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:37 PM
a_stang_thang

Wow i did this to my 03 today w/o looking here first i did basically the same thing and wow what a difference does take a min to get used to the pedal placement. the 1" slack moved my pedal about 2 1\2" to 3" but it sits flush with the brake now. great for burnouts [:-]
Old 03-20-2008, 01:01 AM
bigblack4stang

As soon as I'm done with finals, I'm doing this. I just thought that the gas pedal was lame, never thought about fixing it. You make me so happy I just want to cry, but not really. Really great post. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:07 PM
TKS98GT
1st Gear Member

lol i must be small...but yeah dude this is an amazing improvement...and for the guy whos doesnt really get even with his brake pedal...try going back in there and do everything you did before, but pull on the throttle wire and it will actually come out a little more...atleast thats what i did with mine, and my gas pedal is a lil bit past the brake...but yes this was a great CHEAP mod...had both things just layin around...thanks Jefferson!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:09 AM
frea_stile16

You may have not noticed, but there is a lot of slack built into your Mustang's accelerator pedal. To see how much, lift up on the accelerator pedal. You should be able to lift it by about 1 inch. For some reason, Ford made the accelerator pedal much deeper than the brake and clutch. This makes it extremely difficult if not impossible to do heel and toe driving. It also increases the odds that you are not achieving wide open throttle when you mash the pedal because the floor gets in the way.

A simple solution exists. You can take up the slack in the pedal by buying a 13 cent hollow nylon spacer - available at just about any hardware store. Also buy 2 small hose clamps.

Photo of Gas Pedal linkage

How to install:

You will need a flashlight and a socket set with a screwdriver that accepts sockets on the end. You can alternatively use a large screwdriver but it is very difficult to reach with both arms under the dash while trying to tighten a hose clamp that you can barely get a hold of (watch out for cramps!!)

Unhook the throttle cable in the engine compartment by pushing the plastic throttle body linkage all the way forward then slide the cable out of its slot. This will allow the cable under the dash of your car to fall down about 8 inches where it is MUCH easier to work on.

Using a razor blade tool, cut a piece out of the side of the 1" nylon spacer. You will need to make the cut much wider at one end because the cable linkage has a metal stop attached to the end.

Fit the nylon spacer over the cable then slide both hose clamps over the spacer and tighten. It is much easier if you tighten the hose clamps so they fit almost flush over the nylon spacer before you put them on.

Tighten the hose clamps and that is it!

Gas Pedal is now nearly even with the other pedals

Your accelerator pedal should now be about 1/2 inch lower than the brake pedal. Now wide open throttle does not interfere with the carpeting at all. - Dave

Note: This can also be done in other model year stangs, it was mentioned 99 - 04 because we noticed the pedal a little low.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:19 PM
MotoXFoo125SX

Good call on this dude. Right after i read your post i went outside and cut some extra fuel line i had layin around and got it done in 5 minutes. its alot nicer having the pedals even. i hated that they werent even, id always get my foot snagged on the side of the brake pedal when racing.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:27 AM
skitso
3rd Gear Member

i did mine w/ a pen body cut 1 inch and put a slit down the side a lil harder to install but cheaper cause no clamps were needed

thanks jefferson for this awesome post
Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 AM
The Yellow Pinto

i also used this post as a reference. im not a huge guy (about 170lbs), and getting down there is TIGHT. best thing i found to do i put your seat all the way back and recline it all the way back, so you are lying down on it with your feet up in the air, with your head by the pedals. its a tight squeeze, but this way, eveyrhting is in sight view.

Quick Reply: Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix