V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

performance chips

Old 05-06-2006, 12:26 PM
hookedonkronik
2nd Gear Member

Default performance chips

I'm assuming these aren't the same as tuners and my friend told me they just plug in somewhere...They claim to do quite a bit like improve throttle response, gas mileage and gets rid of the rev and high speed limiter I beleive. So does anyone have experience with them, are they worth the couple hundred? Are they easy to install?
Old 05-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Galaxie
1st Gear Member

Default RE: performance chips

I have a friend who did it to his truck and said it makes loads of diifrence...I think it works reletaviley the same as tuners...escepts it is like a preset tuen the company programmed not sure though.

Check out http://www.jetchip.com/ they make one for the stang
Old 05-06-2006, 10:03 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

diablo or SCT, and the difference is that with a tuner you can control settings where as with the chip its all burned on there
Old 05-07-2006, 12:52 AM
GhostofFire

I have the Jet Chip in my Mustang. You can feel the extra push right away. Good stuff.

2001 Deluxe Edition
K@N CAI
Jet Chip
160 therm
Force muffler
Old 05-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Lancerzor
2nd Gear Member

So what is better a tuner or a chip and is SCT or Diablo better??? and can i get a link to where i can buy one of these?
Old 05-08-2006, 04:20 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

A jet chip adds a little bit of performance, but is pre tuned, so once it's in, it's in, you can't change the settings, diablo and sct you can. Oh, new news, on a side by side test, a Diablo tuner neted 5 or so more hp than the sct with the stock tunes.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:25 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

how can you compare two companies? Diablo and SCT basically just offer the software. What you need to compare are the people who develope the tunes for them. You can get a crappy tuner for the diablo and you can get a crappy tuner for the SCT. Two people can have an Xcal 2 and have completely different tunes, even for the same car.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:29 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

It was done by a few guys in the sn197 V6 forum, they took two V6 stangs, stock, and just used the stock tunes on the two tuners, I beleive that the best sct did was just under 10 hp, then Diablo tuner broke 15 hp, the results were basically the same on both cars. Remember, they both do the same thing, it's how the factory sets the tunes up on the tuner that makes the difference, sct makes more mild tunes when compared to diablo, but both can tweak these tunes, but remember, few people know how to tweak them just right, so stock for stock tunes, Diablo offers more power, but if you know what you're doing, you'll get the same hp gains out of both after you tweak the ecu and the tunes.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:46 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

A jet chip adds a little bit of performance, but is pre tuned, so once it's in, it's in, you can't change the settings, diablo and sct you can. Oh, new news, on a side by side test, a Diablo tuner neted 5 or so more hp than the sct with the stock tunes.
You can change the settings, you just have to get the chip reburned everytime you want to make changes.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:50 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

It was done by a few guys in the sn197 V6 forum, they took two V6 stangs, stock, and just used the stock tunes on the two tuners, I beleive that the best sct did was just under 10 hp, then Diablo tuner broke 15 hp, the results were basically the same on both cars. Remember, they both do the same thing, it's how the factory sets the tunes up on the tuner that makes the difference, sct makes more mild tunes when compared to diablo, but both can tweak these tunes, but remember, few people know how to tweak them just right, so stock for stock tunes, Diablo offers more power, but if you know what you're doing, you'll get the same hp gains out of both after you tweak the ecu and the tunes.
But almost every reseller/tuner that you're gonna buy it from adds/changes things.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: performance chips