V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

How To Paint Your Callipers

Old 06-13-2006, 01:26 PM
HRnB
Administrator

Default RE: How To Paint Your Callipers

Good job Jeff, and a nice write up. I'll add it to our tech article section. [sm=smiley20.gif]
I painted my calipers red and I painted the brackets and the back plates silver to give the disc a larger look.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Jefferson

Thanks!

I can see that and it looks great. There is still a few things that I want to paint and I may just use a brush. The silver brackets look nice. I may steal the idea.

The problem was that I ran out of time...although I didn't want to, I had to get to work. Maybe if the paint fades, I go at the calipers with an epoxy kit in the late fall when the car is stored. (of course using a heat lamp)

Thats actually something else I wanted to mention to everyone... More heat = better results, if you have access to a heat lamp, use it!

this is the one I have
Old 08-28-2006, 11:40 PM
DaSweed

would it do any harm to lightly sand the caliper, PRIMER it, then paint it? I want mine to look really smooth...
Old 08-29-2006, 01:45 AM
Jefferson

Um, it would be fine I guess. I know of some people that have done that and really liked the outcome. The only downside to priming then painting that I have HEARD (I dont know this for sure) is that addind a primer then paint does not allow the calliper to disipate heat as easily. While it may be true, I dont know how much this would really affect you unless you were racing or something and were using the brakes hard and constantly.

Post some pics in here when you do them I would like to see the outcome!
Old 08-29-2006, 02:16 AM
cviteri
2nd Gear Member

ONe question where did you get the ponies in the caliper??
Old 08-29-2006, 02:23 AM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cviteri

ONe question where did you get the ponies in the caliper??
good question. i would also like to know. i painted my callipers red quite a while back w/ the duplicolor kit and it is workin out great. a lot of people ask why i didnt paint them blue but i am very happy w/ the red ones, ive always loved the look of red callipers....it just seems like a sports car thing.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Jefferson

Right Here, there is a link for caliper decals on the left.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Xatrius
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Crsytal Ice

[sm=smiley20.gif]...You forgot the most important step being a fellow canuck, a beer between each step
Oh most definetly. Consider two between the drying steps/paint coats. Beer is the fuel for all car guys. To bad I don't drink it anymore, I guess thats why I always have someone else do the work I want done on my car......that and I am extremely lazy.

Quick side question, since my 6er is red, what colour would you suggest for my calipers? As a side note, I will be looking into getting all my enblems replaced with gold ones. So maybe gold? Or would that look stupid.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Jefferson

No, I think gold would look ok it done right. IF you post some pics, I could chop them for you.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:07 PM
cviteri
2nd Gear Member

I just painted mine black. now im going to get the decals that i think they look so bad azz

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To Paint Your Callipers