V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

turboing a non-turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 05:34 PM
suthrn98

Default turboing a non-turbo?

what would be needed? besides the obvious turbo and intercooler?
Old 04-24-2004, 07:11 AM
Deleted User
I ♥ Acer

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-27-2004, 02:35 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Default RE: turboing a non-turbo?

Unless you're comfortable with fabrication I'd look for some kits. I could give you a bunch of sites for V8's but you can probably find something if you check out turbomustangs.com If you're running low boost you shouldn't need a chip. You'll need the hot parts, intake parts, wastegate, and some other little things. You're def best off looking for a kit though.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:33 AM
yellow6
1st Gear Member

get a procharger kit.....
www.rpmoutlet.com
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv6ati.htm
Old 04-28-2004, 05:30 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Aside from buying a kit or trying to peice one together i would recommend you find a doner vehicle.

/the turbo cars of the yester years arent exactly favorable and can be had for next to nothing.

I seen a late 80's TC complete with everything you could get from the factory in top notch condition just go for a measley 600 bucks here.No one wants them.Its so much cheaper and esier to go to even a mildly built V8 and get so much more for so much less.

I would hit the salvage yards for a TC T-Bird or a SVO stang or even a MERKUR those are hard to find here though.The easiest here would be to get a TC t-Bird.Or even a cougar XR-7.

If you can get a good running donor car i say yank everything including motor and swap it.But while its out at the minimum rering it.If all was in tip top condition i would overhaul it and go from there.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:04 PM
HRnB
Administrator

I bought the Procharger system (not installed yet) after alot of research on newer 3.8 engines. I got the intercooled model for obvious reasons. I won't run more than 8psi until I build the bottom end......If I even go that far. I don't keep cars long because I get bored with them and always want something new, LOL.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:32 PM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

those 4cyl turbos are really too small for the 6 you would have to run 2 0f them and wastegate them at 10psi max. they would spoolup quick though but would limit top end power if future engine mods are on the menu. check out www.velocitymustangperformance.com justin at velocity has turbo`d his 3.8 and could give you some tips on what to do
ORIGINAL: TheGmKiller331

Aside from buying a kit or trying to peice one together i would recommend you find a doner vehicle.

/the turbo cars of the yester years arent exactly favorable and can be had for next to nothing.

I seen a late 80's TC complete with everything you could get from the factory in top notch condition just go for a measley 600 bucks here.No one wants them.Its so much cheaper and esier to go to even a mildly built V8 and get so much more for so much less.

I would hit the salvage yards for a TC T-Bird or a SVO stang or even a MERKUR those are hard to find here though.The easiest here would be to get a TC t-Bird.Or even a cougar XR-7.

If you can get a good running donor car i say yank everything including motor and swap it.But while its out at the minimum rering it.If all was in tip top condition i would overhaul it and go from there.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:16 AM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

ok going off the assumption that you're talking about a 2.3 and not just doing a flat out engine swap (which you really should do...****tons easier)

things you really really need:
T3 turbo (IHI which was on 87/88 tc's suck) which you will have to plumb oil to (yet another reason the complete motor swap is easier), E3 (poo) or E6 (decent) manifold or bob's or rod's header if you like spending money. some sort of fuel upgrade...pump is a must, injectors probably and fuel pressure regulator too. and a boost gauge

things you really really want:
intercooler, LA3 computer with 35 lb injectors and big vam, turbo head (fairly easy swap depending on if you have a 2 coil head or not. if you do, i believe you have to splice the coils together because turbo heads are only single plug), air/fuel ratio gauge, 3 inch downpipe, BPV or BOV, K&N filter, and turbo intakes.

this isn't even dipping into serious performance, this is just **** to get it running good. a motor swap is so much easier and cost effective it's not even funny.