V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

need suspension/handling/stiffness advice

Old 10-21-2004, 10:31 PM
artisan00
2nd Gear Member

Default need suspension/handling/stiffness advice

I had posted this in "suspension" but wasnt really getting responses - though it is about a v6 so i fits here too.
Any help appreciated.
heres what the post said:

Ok, I've been reading threads on this forum for a while now, and ive learned a lot about mustangs ( I have an 03 convertible v6) but I need some things clarified that i couldnt find in the postings.

so heres my deal (sorry this may be a little longwinded). i bought the car used after it had about 18k on it. as far as i know its completely stock, which means that the suspension and ride is not what id like to be (a.k.a. I would rather it felt more like my dad's altima or something). anyway, I want to just say what id want the thing to feel like, and then ask some stuff about specific things to buy.

problems:
1)I dont like the way the car rocks front/back slightly on acceleration or when stopping at a light (if im going slow to the light its fine but otherwise, you know what im talking about...)
2)rattles and general stiffness (i understand its a vert so this is normal but id like to minimize it if possible.
3) body roll in turns
4) rear wheels popping or shifting during bumpy turns at higher speeds.

questions:
basically i just want a basic explanantion of what the following things do (or if what i think they do is wrong, tell me...)
STB (holds the sides of the front of the car togther more stiffly - what does this translate to?)
sway bar (i underatnd this is supposed to compensate for over/understeer issues is that related to the wheel popping i mentioned or is taht some other issue)
pan hard bar (dunno what this is)
upper/lower control arms (not sure about this either)
subframes (i assume this just stiffrens up the body. )

if i stiffened up the body with subframes/stb etc.. would that reduce, or increase, rattles?
the control arms - are they for countering body roll? wheel popping/shifting?

as far as suspension goes, id love it to feel smoother if possible. i dont want it to bounce over speed bumps , but at the same time i dont want it to shake rattle and roll when i go over a bumpy street ..
are those things possible while stiffening the body for handling at the same time??

also one more general question - the targa top ive seen available. can that be used on a vert or is the body too different than the coupe.

I know this is a buttload of stuff for one pose, but its my first post so go easy....
Old 10-21-2004, 10:49 PM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: need suspension/handling/stiffness advice

ok well i don't really know all that much about that your mustang but i think that if you replace the stock springs with some stiffer ones and then maybe put in a strut bar and a sway bar or something like that might help you out on the the stiffer suspension and make it so you don't roll in the corners. I don't know if the shocks would make it better but i know it would give you less bounce but you didn't say anything about that. Hope maybe that will help you
Old 10-22-2004, 09:51 AM
97Stallion
2nd Gear Member

A STB keeps the strut towers in a fixed position. When you turn and you don't have a STB, the strut towers actually move so it gets rid of that.

Control arms help keep your rear end planted onto the ground. When you stock ones get one, the metal becomes softer and don't plant the tires as well.

Subframe Connectors tie the front end of the car to the rear end. This will greatly improve the stiffness of your car.

Sway bars keep your tires planted when you make a turn. If you didn't have sway bars, your car would make turns on two wheels and could possibly even flip over.

Panhand bar is kinda like a fancier sway bar. It helps keep your rear tires planted.

Unless you're into heavy road course driving I would just stay focus on everything except the panhand bar.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:23 AM
artisan00
2nd Gear Member

Control arms help keep your rear end planted onto the ground. When you stock ones get one, the metal becomes softer and don't plant the tires as well.
What do you mean by that?

Also, what effect does the towers being 'connected' have?

EIther way, if i wanted to attempt starting to improve the car (handling first, probably),
i assume id want subframes first. after that, would control arms or stb be the next thing i should do? or do i want a sway bar.
if i go to a mechanic or speed shop around here (if i could find one) would they be able to do this stuff or is better for me to get the stuff myself and then just have them install it...

also, i never mentioned springs, shocks, or tires/rims....what about those things?

im sure ill have more questions but this is it for now...

i dont know of any places in my area (brooklyn) but if anyone does lemme know....also if anyone is in the brooklyn area in general that would be able to help me out in general, show me stuff in person, thatd be cool too
Old 10-22-2004, 02:13 PM
97Stallion
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: artisan00

What do you mean by that?

Also, what effect does the towers being 'connected' have?

EIther way, if i wanted to attempt starting to improve the car (handling first, probably),
i assume id want subframes first. after that, would control arms or stb be the next thing i should do? or do i want a sway bar.
if i go to a mechanic or speed shop around here (if i could find one) would they be able to do this stuff or is better for me to get the stuff myself and then just have them install it...

also, i never mentioned springs, shocks, or tires/rims....what about those things?

im sure ill have more questions but this is it for now...

i dont know of any places in my area (brooklyn) but if anyone does lemme know....also if anyone is in the brooklyn area in general that would be able to help me out in general, show me stuff in person, thatd be cool too
Oops, I meant to put old, when metal gets old it'll corroded and won't be nearly as strong as when it was first made. But aftermarket ones have been better designed and have corrosion protection. Also, I should have mentioned springs and shocks/struts. This is a great way to get a better handling car. You have to get spring and shock/struts that have close to the same rating. Eibach and with tokicos, Konis, or bilsteins are all good options. Lowering springs will lower your car and therefore lower your center of gravity making your car handle alot better and you'll want shocks and struts to help counter the springs keeping your tires planted.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:07 PM
HRnB
Administrator

One of the biggest problems with a convertable is front to rear unibody twist on our year Stang. It does come with factory sub frame connectors, but they are weak. sub frame connectors are high on the list. The other is a set of good gas shocks and strut tower bar. These three things will make a world of differance in the cars handling with out breaking you. Then start adding better quality suspension parts a little at a time as needed.