V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

HELP***Error codes P0171 & P0174

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 12:11 AM
bonsaicult

Default HELP***Error codes P0171 & P0174

I searched the forums for these codes and found nothing....
OK, So i'm a newbie at MF, just bought a 95 v6, test drove it, ran great, car sat in storage for 2 years,
when I went to pick it up, wouldn't run for s***. Fuel gauge reads nearly empty, and my friend says the
exhaust smells like that Stabil stuff, (he claims that because his friends car's exhaust has the same smell and
he uses Stabil). OK OK, dump in 3 gals of premium, car starts to run better, limp it over to the gas station
and fill it with premium to help clean it out, within a few miles notice the MIL check engine lamp on, still not running that great. Scan the ecu, P0171 & P0174 codes set, air/fuel too lean, system at rich limit.
Disconnect the battery, resets OK, drive to work about 25 miles, running great, no codes. Leave work
and by the time it goes into closed loop sets error code, rescan, yep, P0171 & P0174 again.
I stop by the library and grab the dealer service manual and start to troubleshoot for the codes per the
pinpoint tests, HOWEVER, there is a BOLD FACE NOTE: Before servicing DTC'S P0171,P0172,P0174 and P0175 verify with the customer that before the "Check Engine Light" came on, the vehicle did not run out of fuel.
Hmmmm, This looks rather obvious, however I can't find anywhere in the text what the hell to do
in the event that the vehicle did in fact run out of fuel!
Has anyone had this occur?
What do I do now?
Car runs and drives ok at partial throttle and idle, but full throttle acceleration is inconsistant,
has nowhere near the power it does under 1/2 throttle acceleration.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
This is my 1st pony car, always wanted one, was in the market for a car when I found this gem,
she's beautiful too,62,000 mi, the Azure Blue Pearl, 17x10 Saleen copy rims,
Headers, Full dual 3" exhaust with h-pipe from the cat back, CAI, the front struts
are aftermarket, not sure what though, the previous owner did a whiteface gauge kit that looks good BUT,
at night the gauges are not illuminated at all, lights are on around the edges of the dials but he must
have put the over the top of the oem, got a new cluster coming via the forums from Meanfox, out of
a Cobra he's parting out, had a huge Saleen copy wing that I removed the first day I owned the car,
all in all I love this car, now if I can get it to run as good as it looks!
Thanks again, ciao,

Old 04-13-2007, 12:22 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP***Error codes P0171 & P0174

when i got that code it was the mass air flow (MAF) sensor, they are around $180 to replace, or you can try cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner, however it may be something else.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:00 AM
cominus
5th Gear Member

That spoiler has got to go, but I like the sun roof. What it cost you?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:17 AM
bonsaicult

Yea.... like I said, the spoiler is already gone, looking for an OEM, or might just fill and re-paint the deck lid
and leave it w/o a spoiler, forgot to mention that it's got the "BLUE" street glow bulbs on the sides and the
back, front bracket is there but the bulb must have gotten buste, no power supply to light them though.
Paid $3400 for her, interior is mint, no stereo, previous owner repo'd that.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:27 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

First off running a higher octane fuel that what your ECU is tuned for willnot do you any good. Stick to 87.
The two codes you posted are triggers for a lean condition on Bank 1. Could be MAF, O2 sensors or a host of other things. Start cleaing things. If that car sat that long, I'm sure it's not in the best condition right now. Could be something as simple as old gas. Fill it up with fresh stuff and run it awhile. See if that helps. Run it on the highway alot and get the crap flushed out of the motor.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:31 PM
bonsaicult

First things first i suppose, Googled the error codes and running out of gas and came to the conclusion
that just maybe it's the fuel filter, i'm going to replace it tomorrow and erase the code and see what happens.
I just find it odd that the dealers repair text has that in bold but cant find any reference pertaining to
that condition (being that the vehicle ran out of gas).
Old 04-13-2007, 10:26 PM
FBCBEER
4th Gear Member

Maybe something like that seafoam stuff would be good here? I dont know, just suggesting.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:53 PM
bonsaicult

UPDATE......
Changed the fuel filter, disconnected the battery to reset the codes, drove the car for about 17 miles so the
ECU could re-learn, all seemed well. Stopped at a friends house for a visit, and when I left, lo and behold
within 60 seconds the check engine light re-lit again. I haven't re-scanned the codes but i'm pretty sure it'll be
P0171, P0174 again.
I'm going to get the codes scanned, next will be trying to clean the MAF "wires" that i've been reading about.
Apparently others have been achieveing sucess with cleaning the "wires" with a solvent that leaves no residue.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:59 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

use electrical contact cleaner to clean the wires!
Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 PM
bonsaicult

Update.......
Just scanned the codes again, guess what, same codes again.
Removed the MAF and looked in at the wites, didn't see much, sprayed them clean, looked again and
there was a definite visual difference, they seem to shine now, put it all back together and erased the codes,
the car definately seems to run much better, much better throttle response, got my fingers crossed
that this will be the end of this......
Tomorrow i'm installing the Cobra instrument cluster I bought from meanfox, it'll be nice to be able
to see my gauges at night!

Quick Reply: HELP***Error codes P0171 & P0174