V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Suggestions for some V6 mods please

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 06:46 AM
photekxl

Default Suggestions for some V6 mods please

Got about 1,000 to spend. Completely stock 98 V6 auto. 78k miles. Was thinking cold air, springs, true fit cat back, chip as some ideas, even though I can likely only afford 3 or 2 of those items depending on quality. Not sure on which manufacturers though. Any other suggestions welcome.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Ontherocks98
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Suggestions for some V6 mods please

it depends on what you want....looks or perfomance
for performance with 1,000$ id probably go with dual exhaust, CAI and maybe underdrive pullies
lowering springs look nice, but usually only if you have upgraded wheels or a body kit, and i would not suggest getting a body kit(personal preference)

you can look for prices here:

www.rpmoutlet.com

www.v6mustangstuff.com

www.mustangtuning.com

I got my Magnaflow dual exhaust at rpmoutlet for 500 i believe it was. You can get a decent cold air for 40$(ebay) or up to 200$(mac, densecharger.etc) and underdrive pulley is usually around 180$ you have to take installation costs into consideration too. It cost me 120$ to install my dual exhaust, cai is pretty easy to install, so you can prob do it yourself, but if your getting all three things at once, just get the mechanic to put it in for ya, its worth it to make sure you get it right!

anything else, just ask
Old 02-27-2005, 01:28 PM
hawks05
4th Gear Member

well depending on the exhuast setup you buy you can install it yourself but if it requires any welding then iyou wont be able to do it unless your a welder although i got my custom setup for less than $500 installed true dual exhaust right out the back with Flowmaster 40s it cost me $400 installed now as for pullies on my car i got all 3 plus a belt for $120 and was easy to install then you can get a CAI off ebay and still have money left over to go to just at velocity mustangs to get you an SCT Xcalibrator contact me on the SCT though
Old 02-27-2005, 05:36 PM
HRnB
Administrator

Hey Phototek, have I got the link for you! Best V6 Stuff Around

They have a Cold Air Intake for 75 bux that's identical to the Mac CAI here. >> http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/engine2.htm

They have an Underdrive pulley for 74 bux here. >> http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/engine.htm

They have a Bad *** deal on a MAC Cat back for 320 bux here. >>> http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/exhaust.htm

I'm telling you, these guys ROCK!!!!
Old 02-27-2005, 07:17 PM
photekxl

Thanks for the links guys, appreciate all the info. A couple more questions:

I'm one of those people who sometimes blindly buys products that have a name on them for more money even though less expensive things may be the same quality. But I'm wondering, just how much difference is there between, say, Eibach or Steeda springs vs. MAC or like Ford Racing springs? As far as drop, I want the smallest fender gap possible, and I've heard that though Eibach "perform" the best they offer the least drop. Is there a noticeable performanc gap between Steeda/Eibach and other less expensive springs? In this case I'd prefer to spend 120-something on Ford Racing springs rather than 250 on Eibach.

Same thing with CAI. I saw on a board someone had recommended a CAI that was like 50 bucks. MACs cold air cost, what, 150? Performance wise it seems like there would be no noticeable difference, but what about sound wise? Anyone have an MAC in a 94-98 v6? Would appreciate your comments on it.

Also, looks like Flos are the majority favorites for mufflers. So I'd have to get the pipes/mufflers separately? Or do some of the kits come with them?

Finally, I've heard about "gutting" the MAF, or cutting out some post inside that restricts airflow? I've done quite a bit of work on my last car (96 camry) installing chip, fitting an Iceman intake made for a Celica GT, strut bar, stuff like that, so I'd be up for the job. Is it worth it?

Thanks again for your responses. Have a good one.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:57 PM
HRnB
Administrator

Personally I like the Bullitt handling kits if you can swing it. Look here >>> http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/Suspension.htm

But if your just getting spring, they lower your car what ever they say they will. IE: 1.25", 1.5", 2" Have you seen the coil over springs? You can adjust the ride and drop a little more. Check them out here. >>> http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/Springs.htm

edit: Oh, and all CAI are the same. Deal with a good company and get this one. To Hell with ebay idiots. http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/engine2.htm

Let me show you.

No name for 75 bux:

My MAC I paid 185 bux for:

I feel so violated
Old 02-28-2005, 08:59 PM
kodadmin

I would recommend 40 series dual flowmaster exhaust, cold air intake, and a TB spacer or underdrive pulleys. If you want to gain some serious hp save and get a supercharging kit. It will be worth the wait. Or you can do a NOS system for shots of hp during races.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:00 PM
hawks05
4th Gear Member

tb spacer is a waste of money dont buy if you want a spacer get an intake manifold spacer