V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:15 AM
UberNoobIshNess

Default exhaust question

aight as ive said in previous posts i had tru duals put on my 2004 6er and i was verry disappointed in there job.. and i dont really even know what they put on... they listed it as flowmaster duals... 2 flowmasters 2 tail pipes 2 front exstenions ( yes they misspelled extensions)

well it really dont sound asgood as i think we can get out exhaust toi can barley even hear it.. ( i know because its a 6 it wount be loud and aggressive.. and that at a idle u wount notice much of a diffrence atall) but even besides that i know it could be better.. alot better

I guess my question is is there any way i could improve the sound.. my tail pipes have the v6 bend at the end of them so i dont know if i can put a tip on them?? or would i just be better off takeing some parts off and changeing them? what would yallsuggest to do .. im ona tight budget so cant spend to much money

ohh ya almost forgot how would i go about seeing what exact setup they gave me
Old 10-14-2007, 01:33 AM
HARFORD
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust question

take a picture and send it to me ( callawaygolf88@yahoo.com ) or upload them here. and what the hell is the " v6 " bend? i asume its like a little turn down at the end? thats not a v6 bend. fox body GT's had the bend because of the body kit. look under your car and see if there is a " mid pipe" a y pipe or any kind of cross over. you also have to remember that if you havent heard your car being driven by someone else, you really dont know how it sounds, unless u have a convertible. and theres nothing that says that a v6 cant be loud or aggressive sounding. whats aggressive to you ? a nasty srt 4 ? or a fox body mustang with dumps? lol funny story i watched a srt 4 with small spray beat a built fox body with 100 shot, tonight.

oh and do you know if they cut the y pipe off? because if thats the case then your only other option is to change the mufflers. you may have gotten some quiet flowmasters, and flowmasters get louder with age.................. ( me me me i have personall experience on this not just saying it because soemone else did )
Old 10-14-2007, 01:01 PM
kenito_09

My 6er is loud as hell... I never really thought it was wen I first got my setup, shorty headers o/r hpipe flowmaster catbacks 4in tips, until I got my friend to drive it by me an was amazed at how good it sounded comin down th road.. but lik harford was sayin u prob hav th y pipe an that tunes out th sound alot..
Old 10-14-2007, 01:21 PM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

look under your car at the mufflers.the drivers side bottom of the mufflershould say flowmaster on it. the other wont as the flowmaster lettering is facing up to the floor of the car. if neither on says flowmaster then they ripped you off and i would threaten to sue them.

it won't be real loud but louder than stock with flowmasters. the reason is not because it's a 6. they can be just as loud as an 8 if not louder. the reason is it has 4 cats 2 on each side which reallykeeps the exhaust quiet. if you can post some pics of the mufflers. we can tell you if they are flowmasters or not
Old 10-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cobra232

look under your car at the mufflers.the drivers side bottom of the mufflershould say flowmaster on it. the other wont as the flowmaster lettering is facing up to the floor of the car. if neither on says flowmaster then they ripped you off and i would threaten to sue them.

it won't be real loud but louder than stock with flowmasters. the reason is not because it's a 6. they can be just as loud as an 8 if not louder. the reason is it has 4 cats 2 on each side which reallykeeps the exhaust quiet. if you can post some pics of the mufflers. we can tell you if they are flowmasters or not
There's a difference between loud and good, though. You can run open headers and it'll be a hell of a lot louder, but it won't sound good.

A V6 can only get so loud before it sounds terrible. Same with a V8, but you have more room to play with a V8.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:45 PM
UberNoobIshNess

lets see here ill try answering some the questions here.. yes i have heard my car with someone else driveing it arround the parking lot at work ....as for when i said the v6 bend.. sorry i didnot know what it was called.. but ya i do mean the bend at the verry end of the exhaust so that it would clear the bumper....

i will try to post some pictures of it later today when i get the camra from my girlfriend but ya.. is it possible to put a tip on the exhaust with that bend in it.. or will a tip not even really make much of a sound diffrence.. i went flowmasters.. but in all honesty i wanted the magnaflow tone.. its much deeper and seams to rumble more.. dont know exactley how to work it but ild say yall know what i mean for the mostpart

but like i said is it even worth adding a tip or should i get new tailpipes.. or is there any other suggjestions yall misght be able to throw my way
Old 10-15-2007, 12:43 AM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

ORIGINAL: UberNoobIshNess

lets see here ill try answering some the questions here.. yes i have heard my car with someone else driveing it arround the parking lot at work ....as for when i said the v6 bend.. sorry i didnot know what it was called.. but ya i do mean the bend at the verry end of the exhaust so that it would clear the bumper....

i will try to post some pictures of it later today when i get the camra from my girlfriend but ya.. is it possible to put a tip on the exhaust with that bend in it.. or will a tip not even really make much of a sound diffrence.. i went flowmasters.. but in all honesty i wanted the magnaflow tone.. its much deeper and seams to rumble more.. dont know exactley how to work it but ild say yall know what i mean for the mostpart

but like i said is it even worth adding a tip or should i get new tailpipes.. or is there any other suggjestions yall misght be able to throw my way
Are you talking about a v8? Magnaflow is straight through and all the straight through mufflers sound horrible on our v6's ...
Old 10-15-2007, 12:52 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

ORIGINAL: VCS_SSSTANG

Are you talking about a v8? Magnaflow is straight through and all the straight through mufflers sound horrible on our v6's ...
I don't agree with that at all. Had magnaflows on my old 98 sixer, and other than the fact that a V8 sounds like a V8, and a sixer a six, the sound between my old 98 and my 95 5.0 is pretty much the same. In other words, they both carry the same tone, just the engine itself makes the sound/fire deepness.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:43 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

as asked what kind of midpipe do you have? if its the stock Y pipe with one of those cheap-o bolt on "dual exhausts" then it will sound like crap. it could be a stock gt hpipe with 900 cats on it which suck. as for tips comming out the back...sound wise shouldnt make much difference but it never hurts to have chrome exhaust tips comming out the back of a car. you could always get mac produmps or something instead which dump the exhaust off right before the axle...youve already got a v6 so no worries on the bumper. keep it a sleeper that way
Old 10-15-2007, 03:49 AM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

ORIGINAL: VCS_SSSTANG

I don't agree with that at all. Had magnaflows on my old 98 sixer, and other than the fact that a V8 sounds like a V8, and a sixer a six, the sound between my old 98 and my 95 5.0 is pretty much the same. In other words, they both carry the same tone, just the engine itself makes the sound/fire deepness.
You may want to have your hearing checked.

Quick Reply: exhaust question