V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

1998 Mustang [Odometer question]

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:48 AM
IDRISCKY
1st Gear Member

Default 1998 Mustang [Odometer question]

hey, guys. my odometer stopped working. it's not the digital one, it's the analog, i guess? the numbers actually turn.

is there a plug/wires i have to check? or do i have to take it into Ford and spend an assload to get it fixed?

if you guys help me fix this i'll love all of you forever and ever.

i really need to know how many mpg i'm getting [about] i can't tell :[ it hasn't worked for a month or two now
Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 PM
GlockPants
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 1998 Mustang [Odometer question]

I had this problem too. Its not too hard to fix by yourself, just annoying. Just take your gauge cluster out and take out the section (there are 3) of it that houses the odometer (They are held in by screws and then you can just popit out relativly easily). A small motor is on the back of the odometer, so remove that then you should be able to remove the housing after removing some screws. The odometer is run using what seems to be like a miniature ring and pinion where the motor that you removed earlier is the pinion and the ring spins the odometer. Your "ring gear" is the part that is broken. The teeth probably got sheared off because its a pretty fragile plastic....So all you have to do now is get that little part out, put a new one in and reverse process for the rest...I do think there are some web sites with pictures of the process if you just google it. I'm not sure how much that little plastic piece is because I had a spare gauge cluster. Hope that helps.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:55 PM
IDRISCKY
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 1998 Mustang [Odometer question]

ORIGINAL: GlockPants

I had this problem too. Its not too hard to fix by yourself, just annoying. Just take your gauge cluster out and take out the section (there are 3) of it that houses the odometer (They are held in by screws and then you can just popit out relativly easily). A small motor is on the back of the odometer, so remove that then you should be able to remove the housing after removing some screws. The odometer is run using what seems to be like a miniature ring and pinion where the motor that you removed earlier is the pinion and the ring spins the odometer. Your "ring gear" is the part that is broken. The teeth probably got sheared off because its a pretty fragile plastic....So all you have to do now is get that little part out, put a new one in and reverse process for the rest...I do think there are some web sites with pictures of the process if you just google it. I'm not sure how much that little plastic piece is because I had a spare gauge cluster. Hope that helps.

hey, thanks. it helps, kinda. at least i think i know what the problem is this time.

just two problems: 1) i don't know how to take the gauge cluster out, and 2) i can't find a replacement thing.

any ideas on the cost of putting in an electronic one, and would that re-set my miles traveled?

P.S. i can't find a website or anything else describing this stuff either.

EDIT:: i found some stuff on ebay for like $40 bucks. you think i can just go to a junk yard and yank one out of a mustang, reset the numbers to what mine are, and pop it in? and do you think that'd be cheaper?