V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

When did you all change your plugs/wires? and What should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Lbzmotofmx
2nd Gear Member

Default When did you all change your plugs/wires? and What should I get?

Well my 99 v6 is just about to turn over to 121k and I believe it still has the original plugs/wires on it...for performance mods it has intake/exhaust but thats about it..I'm probably just going to get the oem stock replacement plugs/wires unless any of you sugest anything else? Also how hard was the plug swap? something thats manageable in a few hours? And I would imagine I would see quite a bit of performance increase by doing this right?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2008, 03:04 PM
The Yellow Pinto

Default RE: When did you all change your plugs/wires? and What should I get?

121k and youve never had a tuneup? i believe its time, friend.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Lbzmotofmx
2nd Gear Member

well i've changed everything else on it and religiously put in fuel injector cleaner and change oil every 3k with mobil 1 synthetic, thats the only thing I need to change...
Old 03-19-2008, 05:23 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

At 121K you need to do everything:

Refill the battery with water, drain and fill your radiator fluid, tranny fluid, rear end fluid.

Perform an oil change.

Change the wires, plugs, coil pack.

For the wires I'd get the stang wires from www.autobadges.com they're a great set of wires and will dress up your engine bay a little. For the coil pack and plugs, stock is more than enough.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Lbzmotofmx
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

At 121K you need to do everything:

Refill the battery with water, drain and fill your radiator fluid, tranny fluid, rear end fluid.

Perform an oil change.

Change the wires, plugs, coil pack.

For the wires I'd get the stang wires from www.autobadges.com they're a great set of wires and will dress up your engine bay a little. For the coil pack and plugs, stock is more than enough.
Thanks jthorn you were just the person i was waiting to chime in. As for the battery, just replaced that not that long ago, the tranny fluid just replaced about 6 months ago with royal purple synchromax, but the rear end still needs done and rad...

Thanks for the input and I'll get to it! So the coil pack is not worth keeping? Def change it?
Old 03-19-2008, 06:02 PM
The Yellow Pinto

eh, you can check on the price of a stock coil pack. if it isnt much more, might as well order one of the screamin demon coils. if you go nitrous or f/i in the future, the extra spark'll be nice.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:43 PM
blissfulerin8

i didn't see anyone chime in here on their experience with changing them, I'm about to do mine, but just the plugs, and I bought the same platinum plugs that are in it now.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:36 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

When filling the battery with water you need distrilled water, the minerals in tap water will kill the battery.

As for performance coil packs you have two choices that I know.

Screaming Demon and Accel both make performance coil packs, though some people have said that the Screaming demon sets sometimes go bad, Accel is the better product.

Screaming Demon also makes very nice plug wires that are sheilded and I suggest those. Taylor makes a thick diameter wire (9.1mm I think) for them. MSD also makes a replacment set. Malory also might make something by now.

Accel Unit ===>

Now as for the Bonus item, We are talking about MSD DIS-4 system that is a great addition to your engine. Though they need to be housed somewhere other than the engine bay to ensure longevity. You will need MSD's adapter plug.

When Ford moved to the 4.6L Modular engine in the ’96 Mustang, there were two coil packs with four towers each set up as a Waste Spark. MSD’s DIS Ignition Controls are designed for engines with coil pack, waste spark ignition systems. The DIS-2 has two channels, to fire two coil packs, while the DIS-4 is capable of firing up to four coil packs (or even for individual coils). Each Control delivers full power Capacitive Discharge sparks from idle through racing rpm. Below 3,000 rpm there is a series of multiple sparks that last for up to 20° to improve idle, starting and throttle response.
The adjustable features of the DIS Ignitions have also been upgraded with rotary dials. These provide easier, and more precise adjustments of the overrev limiter and the holeshot rev limit. Also, there is now a step retard that can be wired directly to a nitrous system or switch for activation!

FITS THE FOLLOWING

1994-2004
Mustang V6 V6 3.8

1996-1998
Mustang COBRA V8 4.6

1996-1998
Mustang GT V8 4.6

1999-1999
Mustang COBRA V8 4.6

2001-2001
Mustang COBRA V8 4.6

2004-2004
Mustang V6 V6 3.9

2005-2006
Mustang V6 V6 4.0

Old 03-20-2008, 10:41 AM
ayrton02
4th Gear Member

I have MSD 8.5mm wires and Denso iridium plugs. Good and reliable stuff.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:51 AM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

ORIGINAL: Lbzmotofmx

Well my 99 v6 is just about to turn over to 121k and I believe it still has the original plugs/wires on it...for performance mods it has intake/exhaust but thats about it..I'm probably just going to get the oem stock replacement plugs/wires unless any of you sugest anything else? Also how hard was the plug swap? something thats manageable in a few hours? And I would imagine I would see quite a bit of performance increase by doing this right?

Thanks
Plugs and wires take me about 25min working around the long tubes. As for performance gains if your car runs like crap now you will get back whatever you lost. The DIS-4 would be worthless for you, even the sd/accel coils aren't gonna make a big difference however if you have to replace your coild pack then you might as well do an sd/acel.

Quick Reply: When did you all change your plugs/wires? and What should I get?