V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

hood pins

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:40 PM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

Default hood pins

i have a 2004 black 40th anniversary edition mustang with the 3.8 liter and i am thinking of getting a set of hood pins just to dress it up a little. does anyone have any suggestion on which type/brand to get. i was also wondering what the instalation is like for them
Old 04-21-2008, 07:51 PM
moontang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: hood pins

real ones or fake ones the real ones ive seen done two ways you either drill through your hood put the hole edge thingy's and attach the pin under it on the radiator support or you attach the pin to the bottom of the hood andthe hole through the radiator support then you pin it through the grill

then there are the fake stick on kind i do believe
Old 04-21-2008, 08:05 PM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

yea there is no point in going with the fake ones im just gonna get the functional ones here were the ones i was thinking of getting

http://www.americanmuscle.com/fordra...d-pin-kit.html
Old 04-21-2008, 08:44 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

There's no point in getting hood pins unless your hood is a lift off, or if you go fast enough to potentially break the factory latch.

Unnecessary hood-pins = ghey
Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 PM
HornyHornyHippo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RyansQuick6

There's no point in getting hood pins unless your hood is a lift off, or if you go fast enough to potentially break the factory latch.

Iv always liked your advice so i must ask you, if you were running a cobra with a light carbonfiber hood wouldnt it be a good idea to have them just incase?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:40 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

If you have any type of light weight hood pins are a good idea....

Old 04-21-2008, 11:17 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

If the hood is of high quality then i wouldn't worry about it. Mine has a really thick plate mounted extremely well, looks stronger than factory. If you don't feel that your hood latching plate is safe then yes, but then you would be falling under the "need due to speed" category, you don't have to be going 200mph to NEED hood pins. I just don't see the point in having them on a car that can't break 100 in the 1/4.

I know a lot of people with carbon fiber hoods and I've never seen one break or fly up, even on the really fast ones.

I've seen steel factory replacement hoods break at the latch plate and total cars as well, under highway speeds. A few years back a bad batch of civic hoods came in from china and a bunch of civics were totalled due them flying up and bending the roof, aside from the damage caused by hitting things since there was no more field of vision for the driver.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:22 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

If the hood is of high quality then i wouldn't worry about it. Mine has a really thick plate mounted extremely well, looks stronger than factory. If you don't feel that your hood latching plate is safe then yes, but then you would be falling under the "need due to speed" category, you don't have to be going 200mph to NEED hood pins. I just don't see the point in having them on a car that can't break 100 in the 1/4.

I know a lot of people with carbon fiber hoods and I've never seen one break or fly up, even on the really fast ones.

I've seen steel factory replacement hoods break at the latch plate and total cars as well, under highway speeds. A few years back a bad batch of civic hoods came in from china and a bunch of civics were totalled due them flying up and bending the roof, aside from the damage caused by hitting things since there was no more field of vision for the driver.
Eh well I've seen a guy with a harwood hood on a sn95 running 14s in the 1/4 and have it fly off. And everybody knows harwood makes the best hoods you can buy. So pins it is on a/m fiberglass hoods and cf hoods from now on. Pins are like 8$ a windshield, paint, and fixing dings = way more.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:27 AM
The Yellow Pinto

yeah, ive seen a bunch fly off as well...weird how lightweight and aerodynamics work sometimes. probably some cheap insurqance just to get em. plus they look mean. but also agreeing with ryan, if you car is slow slow, they look kinda silly.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:25 AM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Hood pins have nothing to do with speed.

Saftey is the issue. Now if you have a bone stock hood, painted black, and have fake pins and you tell everybody its light weight cf hood then your an idiot. If you have the stick on pins your an idiot, but if you have a light weight hood on a stock 90s fox with pins at least your thinking about saftey. Even not being stupid doing 65mph on the highway and having a hood fly up with traffic around can turn into a disaster.

Quick Reply: hood pins