V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Ignition switch/lock cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:53 AM
nikbait
3rd Gear Member

Default Ignition switch/lock cylinder

The lock cylinder where you put your key into to start the car broke the other day on my 95 V6. WELL, I replaced it, and its NOT starting. Every time I tried to start it, the PATS system would go off and the car won't start. I even unplugged the PATS module thats in the trunk of my car, and still nothing. My remotes won't work, nothing!! WHat am I missing? Did the break of the lock cylinder break something else??
Old 05-21-2008, 02:22 PM
El33tist
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Ignition switch/lock cylinder

You're in luck, I just ran into the same problem. Your original lock cylinder has a metal piece on the outside, which when installed connects to a metal piece inside the shaft that the lock cylinder goes in. These function to identify your key.
You can try a few things.
1- remove the metal piece from the inside of the lock cylinder shaft.
2- remove the metal piece from the old cylinder, and pop it onto the new one.
i ended up replacing my whole steering collumn, because of something that broke inside it.
Anyway, hope one of those works, I'm not saying for sure they will, just giving you what info I have.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:20 PM
nikbait
3rd Gear Member

So is that the little plastic piece with the metal on it that you are talking about? I am not really picturing what your saying.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:47 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

You don't havePATS on a 95. It wasn't offered until 98, and only on the GT's. 99+ was standard on all stangs. the thing you unplugged in the trunk was your inertia switch or fuel pump driver.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:30 PM
El33tist
2nd Gear Member

if what you unplugged in the trunk has a red button on top of it, that's for your fuel pump, plug it back in.
on the original lock cylinder (on my 96, at least), there is a flat piece of silver metal (lighter than the cylinder itself) on the outside of it. if you look inside where the lock cylinder goes into the steering collumn, there's a piece of metal to match it at the 7 or 8 o'clock position. Try taking the piece of metal off of the old lock cylinder and putting it onto the new one.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:19 PM
nikbait
3rd Gear Member

The only piece of extra metal that I can take off is on the black plastic piece that is on the outside of the cylinder itself. That itself is not silver but like a copper color. There is a tiny flat metal piece on the inside of the cylinder that if I take off the outside of it, it can come off but thats it.

My cardoes have PATS. I bought the module from Ford and installed it into the trunk. What I unplugged is the PATS box, not a fuel thing.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 PM
nikbait
3rd Gear Member

Old 05-21-2008, 09:39 PM
El33tist
2nd Gear Member

silver piece to the right, right next to the copper. that connects to the piece inside of the steering collumn. wanna make it easy? go to autozone and show them. they'll show you exactly what to do, and let you use your tools while you're there. you should be able to start the car with the ignition switch under the dash to get there.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:46 PM
nikbait
3rd Gear Member

There is no detachable silver piece next to the copper....
Old 05-21-2008, 11:24 PM
El33tist
2nd Gear Member

Maybe not detachable. but it's right there. the silver that connects to the right side of the gold piece in the pic. I went to autozone and they were happy to help for free. I go there every time I have a question on the car's stock parts.

Quick Reply: Ignition switch/lock cylinder