V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

gauge cluster need help quick

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:45 AM
robinson209
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: gauge cluster need help quick

ORIGINAL: 1999mustang2000

still need an answer to my question neone?
I can't find my instructions for the installation... So here it is by memory (people correct me if I'm wrong please)

you have three wires on your gauge face.
The black one is the ground wire and you are going to put it anywhere you want as long as it's on a metal surface and is securely fastened.
The red wire is going to be fused with the grey wire from the headlight wire harness that is connected to the headlight **** on your dash. It should be the grey wire right in the middle of all the others. Just make a small cut, attach the red wire to the grey, and use electrical tape to join them together securely.
The third wire is just your on/off button (on some it's a dimmer) and you can put that wherever it is most convenient for you.
Just right down the positions of all your needles before you take them off and put them back on.
I hope this helps you! Let us know how it works out.

P.S. to answer your original question about the GT cluster, I think it is okay to use it, but I'm not positive. If I remember right, another member already put in a GT cluster and it worked fine but I'll PM him right now to make sure and I'll get back to you later....
Old 06-19-2008, 12:21 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Run a stock cluster. You can find one on ebay pretty cheap. It's a little complicated, but not really. You can use the back of your cluster with the front of a new one so you won't have to get it reprogrammed, just plug and play
Old 06-19-2008, 04:40 PM
wisk
4th Gear Member

AFAIK, and this is from my experience putting a Mach1 cluster in my GT, but I just swapped the circuit boards in the back of the clusters and it worked. In fact you have to do this for the car to even operate.

Obviously your red line isn't going to be the same as GT, but you get the point.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:46 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Well again, that's still different enough. On a 6er the speedo stops at 120 I think and goes to 140, so it'll be off.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:00 PM
blkthndr03
2nd Gear Member

i did a writeup a while back on when i swapped my gt cluster for a mach1 cluster here
https://mustangforums.com/m_4768872/tm.htm
Old 06-19-2008, 06:09 PM
1999mustang2000
5th Gear Member

will it still read the correct speed and rpm?
Old 06-19-2008, 06:24 PM
blkthndr03
2nd Gear Member

i dont see why not the gauges are still calibrated the worst case scenario call a ford dealership and ask em
Old 06-19-2008, 08:23 PM
RedStarBelgrade
BEWARE OF THIS SELLER. He will sell you junk and call you an idiot for falling for it. Know what you are buying! Admin

ORIGINAL: robinson209

ORIGINAL: 1999mustang2000

still need an answer to my question neone?
I can't find my instructions for the installation... So here it is by memory (people correct me if I'm wrong please)

you have three wires on your gauge face.
The black one is the ground wire and you are going to put it anywhere you want as long as it's on a metal surface and is securely fastened.
The red wire is going to be fused with the grey wire from the headlight wire harness that is connected to the headlight **** on your dash. It should be the grey wire right in the middle of all the others. Just make a small cut, attach the red wire to the grey, and use electrical tape to join them together securely.
The third wire is just your on/off button (on some it's a dimmer) and you can put that wherever it is most convenient for you.
Just right down the positions of all your needles before you take them off and put them back on.
I hope this helps you! Let us know how it works out.

P.S. to answer your original question about the GT cluster, I think it is okay to use it, but I'm not positive. If I remember right, another member already put in a GT cluster and it worked fine but I'll PM him right now to make sure and I'll get back to you later....

So we just need to make it a little naked and than attach the red wire and tape them...is that what you mean?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:41 PM
stangant
5th Gear Member

were did ya find the mach 1 cluster i have been looking forever. you can put the gt in all you need to do is swap the internals and be carefull.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:10 AM
Mani
1st Gear Member

For all who need wireing dirrections reverse glow, this is how I did it:

When the cluster is removed there is a large steel bar behind the cluster. I drilled ahole in it and wrapeda screw with the ground wire and screwed it in. Thereis your ground.

For power I removed the headlight **** asembly. when you do there is a large grey plug the runs into it. Unplug the plug and remove the ****. look at the plug, it looks like this kinda looks like this

|__________|

In the middle of the plug is a FAT grey wire. Its the biggest one on the plug. That is the power wire. connect the power there. then it will light up when you turn on the lights. If you don't wantto use the included dimmer and switch hook it up (you need to use it for the plugs) then tuck the switch under headlight switch spot. (there is an empty spot there. Or mount the switch. then put the headlight switch bak togeather and in place. Hook up the bat and test your work.

As to the needles moving there is3 ways around that. 1) lift the needles a tiny bit 2) when you are installing thenew gauges remove the old ones. They are glued so take a hairdryer to them to soften the glue and remove the old face (this requires removeing the needles) 3) take a glue stick to the old face before you put the new one on.

The reason that the needles stick is because the face isn't glued down.

Quick Reply: gauge cluster need help quick