V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

input on future mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 12:39 AM
reaper2022
2nd Gear Member

Talking input on future mods

Okay, I sold my cbr two weeks ago, and the money's been burning a hole in my pocket. I have roughly $2000 to spend, so this is what I'm thinking:

-SCT X3 tuner
-MAC off-road h-pipe
-Summit Racing dual exhaust kit
-generic short-throw shifter
-Angel-Eye projectors (don't worry, the angel eyes probably won't even get wired up)
-8000k HID kit (hence the projectors)
-Tlock
-4.10 gears (I have a manual, but I really don't care about the effects on highway driving)
-Corbeau seat brackets
-I might get a mach 1 grille delete and chin spoiler, but I'm not sure just yet

If I did the math right, it's about $1800 before shipping and the tlock/gears install. Also, I know angel eyes are ricy, but I want projectors for the HID kit. And I know the Tlock isn't the differential of choice, but it's cheap and I don't really plan on putting down ungodly amounts of power (I'll be happy if I hit an honest 200 to the wheels for now). And for the 4.10 gears, I'm figuring ~2500rpm (+/-200rpm or so) in 5th at 70 (as opposed to ~2k now). Really, I'm driving 100 miles/week on the highway, and the rest is city driving, meaning most of my time is spent accelerating, not cruising.

But any input/comments? Also, what is the AM discount %? I already sent AMNick a pm, but I'm currently trying to figure out exactly what I'll be spending, so the sooner I find out what the discount is, the sooner I can have my finalized budget.

Oh, and by "future mods", I mean in all probability I'll be ordering everything within the next week
Old 10-12-2008, 12:45 AM
03sixbanger
Ryan's Backup Mod

all those mods look great except for the lights. just cant bring myself to liking any type of projector lights.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:47 AM
reaper2022
2nd Gear Member

I'm actually thinking of tinting the lenses (I'll tint the tails to match if I do it) so it's less noticeable. I'm pretty much with you on the looks thing; the only reason I want projectors is for the HID aspect (I figure if I'm going to do an HID conversion, I might as well do it the right way).
Old 10-12-2008, 12:48 AM
03sixbanger
Ryan's Backup Mod

HIDs still look great on factory style lights
Old 10-12-2008, 12:51 AM
reaper2022
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, but i'm worried about the glare... HIDs aren't really meant for halogen housings, so they tend to throw scattered light everywhere... which isn't terrible for me, but it'll probably blind other drivers. With projectors, since there's a beam cutoff and a more concentrated light pattern, there's less glare too. Or at least that's my understanding of it
Old 10-12-2008, 08:28 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Sounds like a good mod list, u should get ur lights u want then just tint them
Old 10-12-2008, 09:43 AM
reaper2022
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Actually, there's another red new edge here at Wyotech with those exact headlights I'm looking at... from 20 feet away you can't even tell they're aftermarket headlights... with them being tinted, it'll be even less noticeable.

Also, do you guys think I should go with the SCT X3 or the SF3? I'm actually reading about the SF3 and kind of leaning towards it... how much of a difference is there between the two tuners?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:00 AM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Originally Posted by reaper2022
Okay, I sold my cbr two weeks ago, and the money's been burning a hole in my pocket. I have roughly $2000 to spend, so this is what I'm thinking:

-SCT X3 tuner
-MAC off-road h-pipe
-Summit Racing dual exhaust kit
-generic short-throw shifter
-Angel-Eye projectors (don't worry, the angel eyes probably won't even get wired up)
-8000k HID kit (hence the projectors)
-Tlock
-4.10 gears (I have a manual, but I really don't care about the effects on highway driving)
-Corbeau seat brackets
-I might get a mach 1 grille delete and chin spoiler, but I'm not sure just yet

If I did the math right, it's about $1800 before shipping and the tlock/gears install. Also, I know angel eyes are ricy, but I want projectors for the HID kit. And I know the Tlock isn't the differential of choice, but it's cheap and I don't really plan on putting down ungodly amounts of power (I'll be happy if I hit an honest 200 to the wheels for now). And for the 4.10 gears, I'm figuring ~2500rpm (+/-200rpm or so) in 5th at 70 (as opposed to ~2k now). Really, I'm driving 100 miles/week on the highway, and the rest is city driving, meaning most of my time is spent accelerating, not cruising.

But any input/comments? Also, what is the AM discount %? I already sent AMNick a pm, but I'm currently trying to figure out exactly what I'll be spending, so the sooner I find out what the discount is, the sooner I can have my finalized budget.

Oh, and by "future mods", I mean in all probability I'll be ordering everything within the next week

meh.....what i would do:

-buy used powerdyne that is for sale at 3.8mustang
-bolt on in afternoon
-enjoy the 80rwhp you just added in 5 hours.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:33 AM
reaper2022
2nd Gear Member

greeeeaaaaat... now I have conflict

I really want the powerdyne (I'm assuming the one I found is the one you're talking about.. $1800 shipped), but at the same time I'd still want the exhaust and the gears/tlock... which would bring my total up to something like $2500... decisions, decisions...

I wonder how 270rwhp would do with a pegleg?

Edit: do you guys think the stock rear end/maybe a tlock would hold up to 270rwhp? If it can, I might just go with the powerdyne, tlock, and an hpipe/duals

Last edited by reaper2022; 10-12-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:30 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

as long as you dotn beat the **** out of it, it should do well.

theres also a guy there with a M112, he ran a low 13 with the stock rearend.

Quick Reply: input on future mods