V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

manually driving an automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:08 PM
bgnn32
2nd Gear Member

Geez man you have a habit of only reading half of anything I post. Yes you can change the launch point of an auto, but not without reprogramming it. If you get up to the line and decide you need a more or less powerful launch, or you need to shift before peak power to not over power the track you are screwed if you have an auto. With a manual if you feel you are losing traction unexpectedly you have the ability to adapt mid run. no such luck in an auto.

You run a stock Auto against my stock 5 speed, the 5 speed will win every time. If you want to modify your auto, fine, I will modify my 5 speed and I will still win 8 times out 10.

And actually this thread is about shifting an auto like a manual, so this entire debate is off topic.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:17 PM
sIx
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bgnn32
The thing to remember though is IMO winning a drag race in an auto proves nothing about your skill or ability, it just shows that your car was better suited to the conditions and you reaction time was better.
Have you ever watched Drag racing on TV? What kind of transmissions do you think they use?

Auto>driver skill shifts...auto can shift faster than manual, and OMG!! It has the ability to downshift!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Specter, you know because of your post count I thought you might actually know something, but it is clearer now than ever you don't.

How slick is the track surface? Has it been raining? Snowing? or is it dry? are you on concrete or asphalt? or something else? Is it smooth or bumpy?

All these factors and more change the power range you want to launch from and will effect your shift points for the best run. On an auto you will have to reprogram it to launch and shift in the most ideal way for the conditions.

A good driver with a stick can compensate for this himself. If you aren't a good driver then I can understand how you don't comprehend this.
1st) Don't be rude, especially for a newb.

2nd) WHY WOULD SOMEONE RACE DURING/AFTER RAIN OR SNOW?? Flat out stupid sir.

Last edited by sIx; 02-20-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:54 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

bgnn, ur going to have to show me where i missed anything u posted. in both threads uve said this and the reality is you just dont know what ur talking about. in fact i was probably overly thorough rather than under.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:36 PM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

Geez man you have a habit of only reading half of anything I post. Yes you can change the launch point of an auto, but not without reprogramming it. If you get up to the line and decide you need a more or less powerful launch, or you need to shift before peak power to not over power the track you are screwed if you have an auto. With a manual if you feel you are losing traction unexpectedly you have the ability to adapt mid run. no such luck in an auto.

You run a stock Auto against my stock 5 speed, the 5 speed will win every time. If you want to modify your auto, fine, I will modify my 5 speed and I will still win 8 times out 10.

And actually this thread is about shifting an auto like a manual, so this entire debate is off topic.
wow. really??? i can change my launch rpm up to 2300rpm on my auto. a programmer cannot adjust stall speed. only the converters stall speed and the torque output of the engine decides that. you just powerbrake it to whatever rpm you want below that. adjusting tire pressure for track conditions and there is a thing called letting out of it if you overpower it.

and no a stock 5spd VS a stock auto doesn't mean the 5spd will win every time. what mods are you gonna do to your 5spd? short throw and a heavier pressureplate and maybe an aluminum flywheel? still doesn't take driver error out of it nor does it ensure the clutch won't get hot and guarantee additional drivetrain power loss from a slipping clutch. a good manual valve body with a shift kit and proper stall and line lock takes most of those variables out. it's called consistency. auto's own 5spds for it. also you put far more drivetrain shock on a car launching a manual and the life of the rear and U-joints are shorter with them. launch your t-5 5spd with the same power i have 300 times and see if you don't have drivetrain issues especially blowing 5th gear cluster out not to mention clutch/pressureplate taking a dump or if your dumb enough to run a t-lok in the 7.5 having the spyders grenade like a roadside bomb in iraq. this is true for for the GM 7.5 also with stock open or posi differentials. put a locker in it or truetrac yeah they hold up alot better but the 5spd launch it far harder on the drivetrain as well as motor/trans mounts and suspension

i have raced and built engines for 20 years and what you posted above is complete and utter garbage

Last edited by cobra232; 02-20-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:53 PM
ezekiel90
3rd Gear Member

MF V6SEC Civil War 2009-
Old 02-20-2009, 08:25 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

Geez man you have a habit of only reading half of anything I post.
Nope, i read it all. I cant be held responsible if u dont have the brain power to keep up here.....
Yes you can change the launch point of an auto, but not without reprogramming it.
u see this here? this statement was born of a gross misunderstanding of how the automatic transmission works...... a stall does not simply smack with power magically once it hits it rpm. and you cannot program the engagement point of a stall. high stall TCs simply allow the TC to slip further before its essentially at full "grip". a 3800rpm stalled car will still get power below 3800rpm and will move. it is just easier to keep held still (ie by braking) up to that point where a stock tc will start turning the tires well before that.

If you get up to the line and decide you need a more or less powerful launch, or you need to shift before peak power to not over power the track you are screwed if you have an auto. With a manual if you feel you are losing traction unexpectedly you have the ability to adapt mid run. no such luck in an auto.
I have never met anyone who shifted early on purpose. if you are losing traction, in an auto or manual....... you get off of the accelerator. you dont shift. I dont know what it is ur talking about exactly. i mean, im reading it, but the statement sounds psychotic. its not grounded in the reality of racing in any way shape or form.

its similar to telling someone u need to change ur turbo belt. it basically just means you have no idea what so ever of what ur talking about. seriously man, if ur losing traction, take ur foot off the gass. same thing for either car. im..... im.....

holy crap, im just at a loss

again, im starting to realize u dont know anything.

modifying the auto means you adjust shift firmness, shift points (aka the rpm to shift NOT the launch rpm as u suggested earlier), and you can adjust the stall by replacing the torque converter.
with the manual, all you can do is put on a short throw, and change the clutch. thats about it. those things will not do anything to reduce the advantage a stalled auto has in higher hp applications.

now, i already said that the manual makes better wheel power, but what ur not seeing is this:

whether ur crossing the quarter mile in 8 seconds, or 18 sections, the time it takes you to shift remains constant. so the faster u go, the more your shifting slows you down, and once you start going fairly quick this time actually becomes significant.

so no, your statement about modding ur manual and still beating the auto is, just like most of ur other statements, incorrect and idiotic
Old 02-20-2009, 10:11 PM
bgnn32
2nd Gear Member

Well Specter you clearly have no clue how to race, so it doesn't surprise me that you haven't meant anyone who shifts early when their peak HP is too high for the track. Here let me give you an example say my car at the top of it power range makes 300 HP at the rear wheels, but the track conditions can't handle that much, so instead of back peddling you shift early, more time in the gas, spend less time decelerated and forward motion remains constant. Can't do that with an auto.

Try actually hanging out with Racers you will see.

As for not accounting for Human error, like I said a manual will beat an auto 8 times out of 10, assuming you don't let specter drive but chose someone who knows what they are doing behind the wheel instead. The other 2 times, well yes things can go wrong and people can make mistakes, but a good driver doesn't make many mistakes.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:26 PM
sIx
4th Gear Member

Can someone please close this thread or ban someone or something?

Wayyy off topic, and stupid now.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

anyone else find it frustrating when people refuse to listen to reason? however were not really off topic. its just fun that after almost 80 posts with real tech about trannys this kid comes in with his fast and furious bullcrap. i would assume hes 17 and taking an into level HS shop class and thinks hes an engine builder.

hey kid, ur fortunate that ur just too damned stupid to really get to me with ur posts. however yelling at you probably wouldnt have done any good either... again... the stupidity. its hard to connect with someone at your level.

Try actually hanging out with Racers you will see.
alright paul walker... u just get back to tuning the launch points on autos in ur need for speed underground fantasyland. real racers use autos and ur post about outpowering the track means 1. u have never been to a track and actually raced 2. you have no understanding of simple physics and friction, 3. you pulled the entire scenario right out of ur butt.

Last edited by SpecterGT260; 02-20-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:37 PM
sIx
4th Gear Member

Idiots... (not you Specter), and yes, I agree with you...

still waiting for the lock down from '03sixbanger...

Quick Reply: manually driving an automatic?