MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1994-2004-mustangs-4/)
-   -   Service Engine LIGHT - GO AWAY PLEASE (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1994-2004-mustangs/54415-service-engine-light-go-away-please.html)

mrmnico 06-28-2005 06:32 PM

Service Engine LIGHT - GO AWAY PLEASE

Hi All,
I have the dreaded Light on,
I have a 2002 V6 Mustang with 39k miles on it
went to Autozone and they told me that I have two codes coming up
P1121 - Throttle position sensor
P0175 - O2 Sensor in Bank 2

Okay here is my issue, the car only has 39k miles on it and people are telling me that I should not be experiencing this problem. TO the point that one part guy told me he would love to sell me the parts but due to age of car it doesnt sound right and I should take it to ford...
Any one out there - can you give me some input on what I should do????

Derf00 06-28-2005 06:59 PM

RE: Service Engine LIGHT - GO AWAY PLEASE

It may not sound right but shiznitz happens. How's the car feel when driven? If it feels fine, it's possible that the TPS caused the car to run rich momentarily and saturated the O2 sensor causing it to not only store the TPS malfunction, but the 02 one as well.

Reset the computer by disconnecting the (-) battery terminal for a few minutes then hooking it back up. That will clear the computer. If the light comes back on, take it back to autozone to get the (code(s)) If the same ones come up, then you should take it to a dealer or trusted shop to pinpoint the problem. Just throwing replacement parts at it until it's fixed is a waste of money and time.

mrmnico 06-29-2005 10:41 AM

Thanks for advice, i beleive I got ****ty gas from this one station and the car was hesitant, since then I have had 2 prem fill ups at with good gas and the car drives as it should,,, I will disconnect from battery and see if it comes on again,,, Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/5622/C35BC4C44BC94E16B2B4C769111AADB6.jpg[/IMG]

AtlanticBlue99 06-29-2005 11:21 AM

you run premium in a v6? wihthout f/i or a timing change? now thats a waste

99Stang_V6 06-29-2005 05:45 PM

I cant see why someone would put premium in a v6..unless you've done some serious mods....other than that...save urself some money go for the unleaded!!!

babygurl2000 06-29-2005 05:46 PM

so you cant change the sensors yourself? i dont understand the issue? is there a recall on this from Fords did you check your VIN @ ford.com for a possible recall?

mrmnico 06-29-2005 06:53 PM

Prem vs Regular - Combustion school.
When a spark plug fires, it does not cause an instantaneous explosion of the entire cylinder's charge of fuel and air. The spark actually lights off a small kernel of air-and-fuel mixture near the plug. From there, a flame front expands in every direction, gradually igniting the rest of the air and fuel. This takes some time, as much as 60 degrees of crankshaft rotation.

Meanwhile, the air-and-fuel mixture that the flame front has not yet reached is experiencing huge increases in pressure and temperature. If any part of this air-and-fuel mixture gets heated and squeezed enough, it will explode spontaneously, even before the flame front ignites. This self-ignition is called detonation, or the dreaded "knock."
Now for the chemistry lesson: Oil is a hydrocarbon fuel, meaning the individual molecules contain carbon and hydrogen atoms chained together. Modern gasoline is blended according to various recipes, the active ingredients for which include about 200 different hydrocarbons, each with a spine of between 4 and 12 carbon atoms. One of them, isooctane, consists of 8 carbon and 18 hydrogen atoms (C8H18) and is exceptionally resistant to exploding spontaneously when exposed to the heat and pressure found inside a typical combustion chamber. Another, n-heptane (C7H16) is highly susceptible to such self-ignition.

These two compounds are therefore used to rate the knock resistance of all gasoline blends. A gasoline recipe that resists knock the way a mixture of 87-percent isooctane and 13-percent n-heptane would is rated at 87. Racing fuels with octane ratings over 100 resist self-ignition even better than pure isooctane. The octane ratings for regular-grade fuel range from 85 to 87, midgrades are rated 88 to 90, and 91 and higher is premium.

Even cars designed to run on regular fuel might require higher octane as they age. Carbon buildup inside the cylinder can create hot spots that can initiate knock. So can malfunctioning exhaust-gas-recirculation systems that raise cylinder temperatures. Hot temperatures and exceptionally low humidity can increase an engine's octane requirements as well. High altitude reduces the demand for octane.

(I did some homework)

My use of Prem gas was to use a grade that hopefully was not contaminated, there was also a situation down here in FL where there was an excess amount of sulfur in gas causing sensors to fail along with inaccurate fuel guage readings.

Enough of the ramble, I was just checking to see if anyone had a simular situation before I decided to waste repair time and money on parts if not needed. Time is a very precious comodity in my life. Thanks to All for your input....

AtlanticBlue99 06-29-2005 07:14 PM

you still dont need to run premium in a v6 with unmodded timing or normal induction

mustangman02232 07-03-2005 04:01 PM

my o2 sensors were just replaced in my 02 last week at 45k, they covered it under 36k warrenty.:D

Zincpony 07-03-2005 04:39 PM

My service engine light came on too.
its a bitch i know