V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters
Old 10-22-2015, 02:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Replacing brakes-Mustang v-6, 2003

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:00 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yeah, remove the cap so the pressure can release.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:27 AM
99'PEGASV6
3rd Gear Member

so steps;

front:
-remove cap
-push "piston" down with a c clamp
-remove w/e bolts holding the pads?
-put new pads in
-put thing back on top and take out c clamp?

rear:
same but twist needle nose pliers to get it back in

if anyone could be specific; don't mean to be a little girl about it... i need a little more specific input. Im soaking all the information in btw fellas and i appreciate all the help. i just don't want to end up jacking my car up and getting to a step where i have no idea what to do and come back on here with my car jacked up lol
Old 03-14-2011, 08:17 AM
MustangSally94
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99'PEGASV6
so steps;

front:
-remove cap
-push "piston" down with a c clamp
-remove w/e bolts holding the pads?
-put new pads in
-put thing back on top and take out c clamp?

rear:
same but twist needle nose pliers to get it back in

if anyone could be specific; don't mean to be a little girl about it... i need a little more specific input. Im soaking all the information in btw fellas and i appreciate all the help. i just don't want to end up jacking my car up and getting to a step where i have no idea what to do and come back on here with my car jacked up lol
Not quite, here are the proper steps.

Front Brakes:
- Remove Cap
- Unbolt Caliper from caliper bracket.
- Slide old pads out of bracket
- Using an old pad and a C-clamp compress piston on caliper until old pad rests flat on caliper and piston is fully compressed
- put new pads in with the metal brackets that should come packaged, make sure you put some anti-squeal grease on the back of the pads
- replace caliper and re-bolt to bracket. If the Piston is catching on the pads and wont allow you to slide the caliper over then the piston needs to be pushed in further. Make sure Caliper is securely tightened to the bracket.
- replace wheel and repeat for other side.

Back Brakes:

Same general Idea but instead of using a C-clamp you can either use the tool you rent from a parts store, or get a good bite in the grooves (you'll see what we mean) of the piston and turn and push has hard as you can until the piston is back in all the way. If the caliper wont turn and compress then it is shot and needs to be replaced. But make sure you put some elbow grease into it before you assume its shot. Also if the caliper on the rear compresses without turning (meaning you can just push it in) then it is also shot.

Once all your pads are replaced, tires are back on, and car is lowered pump your brakes until the pad stiffens. Then check your brake fluid and replace any if needed, you shouldnt lose any fluid but I have seen it over flow before and some is lost. Once your fluid level is proper and all your wheels are tightly secured go for a test drive!!! For front and rear pads with no experiance your probably looking at a couple of hours to do the job right.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Oh don't forget after you unbolt the caliper take some kind of metal (old cut coat hanger will work) and hang the caliper up from any one of the spots in there that has a hole that will allow you to hang it. You don't want to let it just hang there by the brake line as you work.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:04 PM
MustangSally94
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
Oh don't forget after you unbolt the caliper take some kind of metal (old cut coat hanger will work) and hang the caliper up from any one of the spots in there that has a hole that will allow you to hang it. You don't want to let it just hang there by the brake line as you work.
+1 on this... sorry I left it out.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:34 PM
99'PEGASV6
3rd Gear Member

Great thanks a lot mustangsally ! It's supposed to reach 50-55* here so hopefully I can get these in asap, they're already screeching. ugh.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 AM
MustangSally94
2nd Gear Member

hey dont just thank me, but your welcome
Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 AM
99'PEGASV6
3rd Gear Member

yes, thanks everyone haha lots of useful information
Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Brakes on our cars are simple simple. I think last time I did mine I was done in 30-45 mins(including smoke break).

drum brakes are trickier but still simple.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:20 PM
MustangSally94
2nd Gear Member

I rebuilt my back brakes (rotors, calipers, and pads) in under an hour.... and thats with bleeding and a smoke break and going to do my front brakes but they were fine

Quick Reply: Replacing brakes-Mustang v-6, 2003