V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Suspension questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:01 PM
brent4
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ayrton02
+1 http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/...amps/index.htm

Find a construction site... sneak in at 2:30 am = free rampz!
THIS lol.....
Old 07-17-2010, 11:24 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

So back on topic...i was reading the Haynes manual and it says to allow the rear end to be suspended so the tires dont touch the ground.

And then i read another article online and they say just put the stang on a ramp and start removing the nuts bolts from there. So in this instance the rear end & tires are technically in contact with the ground.

So if im reading the comment right could i technically put the mustang on the ramp allowing the tires to contact the ground. When do i compress the rear end? Do i take the top bolts off from the trunk & then compress and remove bottom bolts. This is starting to sound like quantum mechanics, but i know its ridiculously easy.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

Just follow Ryan's "how-to" in the tech articles. Thats what I did and it worked out perfectly for me. Its not as bad as you think, just time consuming.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:08 AM
ayrton02
4th Gear Member

I don't like those metal ramps. First, they aren't as safe as a properly used jack and jackstands. Second, they take up too much room on the ground so your mobility options are limited. If I ever did use ramps, it'd be those jerry-rigged wood ones, they are actually safer than the ones you can buy - if made correctly of course. Invest in a jack and jackstands. This probably isn't the only time you ever need them. My car is lowered so I have to drive it up on 2x6's to fit the jack under the sub-frame rail, block the wheels, then I just jack up one side at a time. I put a 2x1 piece of wood between the jack and jacking point to avoid scraps and bends. Jack the car up to the desired height and place the stands on either the sub-frame rail or front/rear lower control arms. Usually for suspension work, use the sub-fram rail.

If you are replacing the front or rear shocks, you're gonna have to take off the wheels. You can't do that if the car is in contact with the ground. Replacing the shocks isn't hard. If you don't like/can't find Ryan's write-up that Shaun was talking about, here are two that are as clear as day what needs to be done.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/tokico...4-install.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/tokico...4-install.htmlr
Old 07-18-2010, 01:25 AM
Boost Logic
Banned

My mom made RyansQuick6 some sandwiches after they were finished

Last edited by RyansQuick6; 07-18-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:38 AM
ayrton02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boost Logic
You dont need shocks or springs. I changed my suspension
out with 4 ham sandwiches all around and never had a problem.
make sure theirs lettuce on the sandwich or you could run into a
few probs, good luck.

wtf is your problem? This is actual person with a Mustang that has a legit tech question. You have a '89 Supra and are on here spreading bullschit. Not even a GT guy bashing a v6 guy, you have a Supra. Post something legit and relevant or GTFO.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

Haha I didn't see that Ryan edited the post and was like....wtf? sandwiches?
Old 07-18-2010, 04:28 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ayrton02
I don't like those metal ramps. First, they aren't as safe as a properly used jack and jackstands. Second, they take up too much room on the ground so your mobility options are limited. If I ever did use ramps, it'd be those jerry-rigged wood ones, they are actually safer than the ones you can buy - if made correctly of course. Invest in a jack and jackstands. This probably isn't the only time you ever need them. My car is lowered so I have to drive it up on 2x6's to fit the jack under the sub-frame rail, block the wheels, then I just jack up one side at a time. I put a 2x1 piece of wood between the jack and jacking point to avoid scraps and bends. Jack the car up to the desired height and place the stands on either the sub-frame rail or front/rear lower control arms. Usually for suspension work, use the sub-fram rail.

If you are replacing the front or rear shocks, you're gonna have to take off the wheels. You can't do that if the car is in contact with the ground. Replacing the shocks isn't hard. If you don't like/can't find Ryan's write-up that Shaun was talking about, here are two that are as clear as day what needs to be done.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/tokico...4-install.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/tokico...4-install.htmlr

Thanks this is all the information ill be needing! looks fairly straight forward so i think ill be buying some new shocks jackstands and a floor jack. The links were a huge help. Ill update you guys soon on what all i get done!
Old 07-18-2010, 05:40 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I do my suspension work with the wheels off the ground to start with.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:10 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

So i finally just bought a 2.5 ton floor jack and two 4 ton jack stands for 90$... Pretty happy about it. Made by craftsman, Ive had pretty good experiences with their tools. Ive also included a picture of what i believe to be the stock shocks that came with the car Needless to say, they have seen better days.

Quick Reply: Suspension questions!