V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Questions about SCT tuner on v6 apps.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:06 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Default Questions about SCT tuner on v6 apps.

So im really thinking hard about getting a handheld tuner. So i have a few questions.

1. are the 15-20 hp claims really true? Can i expect these gains on basically stock engine?

2. Do i have to switch to 91 octane to see these gains...

3. How does the tune affect fuel consumption?

4. Is this 15hp gain via a "canned" tune already stored on the device? Or do i need to buy a tune after i buy the actual device.

5. If i did keep the "canned" tune on daily will i experience increased engine wear and decreased long term reliability?

Really id like to hear from someone that has a v6 and has used the SCT tuner on their new edge.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:00 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

cant tell exactly how much hp i gained with mine, but the higher the octane gas used the more hp you are supposed to get when tuned. i run around with a 93 octane tune and love it. it shouldnt make your engine wear more if its a good tune. and gas mileage is about the same with it. i got mine tuned from vmp though, no canned tunes for me.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:57 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

It will not harm your engine unless you dont use the right fuel with the tune or screw up the spark tables.

As far as horsepower goes, you can feel it so its right around what they claim.

As for fuel, well it seems like it has always used more fuel when I tuned any of my cars/truck but then again I dont drive lightly. You will also see the most power out of the tuner at its highest fuel calibration (93oc)

Canned tunes are ok but once you get a host of bolt ons a custom tune would do more good.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:52 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

....And if you really want a more custom tune Justin over at VMP will be glad to give you a couple e-mailed custom tunes for a good cheap price, $65 last I checked.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:51 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Yeah unfourtantly i dont have many engine mods at the moment. That will change sometime. But i figured the tuner is still the most cost effective for the extra HP gain, especially if i buy one used.

And the highest octane fuel up here is 91, which should be okay since were at a much higher altitude. (I think, but im no tune expert)

So I guess the real question is if the tuner already comes with a few canned tunes that would be appropriate for my car. And if 91 octane at about 5,400 FT altitude would work on one these canned tunes. OR if there are any canned tunes that still use a low grade octane.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

If you buy a used tuner, there is a good chance that it won't have any canned tunes on it. I would look for an Xcal2 for cheap, and get a tune through Justin @ VMP. I got my tuner for $110 shipped, then $80 for my tune (it's more expensive because of my cam) so $190 total for a good tune and tuner.

If it has canned tunes, it will probably have an 89 tune, 91, and 93. That way you have your choice. If you're running 91 octane fuel, use the 91 tune, don't use anything higher than the fuel you're using, ever. When you install a more aggressive tune, they advance the timing, and since lower octane fuels are more easily combustible than higher octane, you can get pre detonation.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:09 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Hmm well theres a "SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner" for pretty cheap, and it has tons of features. Ive been looking everywhere and cant find it comes with tunes!

But I may look into getting an Xcal2 if it can do the same thing.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

Xcal 2 does the same thing, just a little slower. It can't monitor as much in data logging, but it's only a few PIDs less, not a big deal. It was definitely worth it for me. Keep in mind, you can't use the X3 if it's for 05+ I don't think, IIRC it has different software that makes it useless for us.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:52 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

i think you can update them from the sct website for vehicles 05+. not that any of us would need it anyways
Old 07-26-2010, 03:32 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

For your tuning needs you might want to at least talk to Justin and ask him what he thinks.