V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters
Old 11-20-2015, 12:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Electrical Problem - Flickering Battery light - Radio goes out??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:14 PM
michiganman5
1st Gear Member

FINALLY IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, you guys can read above most of the things I have went through. Obviously, there was more than one issue. Well, I finally fixed the problem and again, there was more than one thing that caused the issue.

In a nutshell, the problem was lack of a good ground!

Everyone knows there is a groundstrap that grounds the engine to the chassis. Well, mine even though it was in place apparently wasn't doing much good. But while looking at this, I also noticed the main ground to the Starter was loose!

This would not only explain the flickering, but also explains the dead battery, or more accurately the innability to start the car that sounded like a dead battery. The ground was loose, therefore it didn't want to start.

Tighted up the ground to the starter and for good measure I ran a new ground wire directly from the battery to the chassis under the dash.

All seems to be working fine now! Whew!

Thanks to everyone's suggestions, and listening to my long winded explanations!

Take care.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:21 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

lol glad you figured it out man
Old 11-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Mellyoso

Default Electrical problem

okay so i just bought the car a couple days ago the person i bought it from tells me that it wont pass smog because the check engine light doesnt come on....so when i turn the the only lights that come on is the battery light and the seatbelt light nothing else..the dash board lights dont even come on...when i turn on the headlights the clock goes off..their is a deck in the car so could it be that someone hooked it up the wrong way??? what could the problem be??
Old 08-23-2017, 10:03 PM
Julie Lewis Hoffman

I am experiencing the exact same symptoms with my 99 Mustang 3.8L.
I replaced the alternator, cause my battery failed to charge, After jumping the car off with cables, The battery charged fine for 4 days. Then it failed again. Suspected the regulator to be faulty. After installation of new alternator, my dash gauges started to cut off and back on, radio go out then back on, when excellerating. Checked my ground on battery and to body on inner fender. Where is a good ground area under the dash? Performance has been poor. Bad fuel mileage, idle seems too high. Any idea's
Old 08-24-2017, 01:22 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Really thats all symptoms of the charge system...ground, battery, alternator. I have had both a bad battery and a bad alt and have both check out fine. twice. I made them replace the battery and then took the car to a local guy who has built alts for 50 years. Even though it was testing ok at the garage this guy found a bad diode ...replace it and one other diode and put new brushes in it. Never had another problem out of it and that was 6 years ago..maybe 7. The alts in shops are all rebuilt and all junk. Try to find a pro to check the alt and battery. Id still replace the battery, fix the alt and trace the grounds.

EDIT: I also always have them put in a heavier alt..like one higher than the stock power.

A few tips...

ALTERNATOR REPLACEMENT TIPS

Replacement alternators should always have the same or higher amp rating as the original. Vehicles with higher than normal electrical loads should be upgraded to a high-output alternator.

The battery should always be tested and fully recharged before the replacement alternator is installed.

Both battery cables should always be disconnected before removing and installing the alternator.

Inspect and clean battery posts and cables. Replace cables if terminals are loose, worn or badly corroded.

The drive belt should be inspected and replaced if cracked, worn, glazed or contaminated with grease or oil. If a high-output alternator has an undersize pulley, it may be necessary to replace the stock belt with a shorter belt if there is not enough adjustment.

V-belts should be adjusted to the proper tension with a belt gauge.

Check the engine grounds for missing, loose or broken connections.

Last edited by Daehawk; 08-24-2017 at 01:29 AM.