V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

How much do you guys estimate I will gain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 01:47 AM
JFordJr
1st Gear Member

Default How much do you guys estimate I will gain?

So I know I'm getting a CAI for Christmas from the girlfriend. This is the least expensive mod I have not done yet. Most mods I've done were because of fixxing troublesome parts. Here is a list of what I have:

BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers (stock were cracked)
Screamin' Demon Ignition Coil Pack (stock "cylinder 1 misfire")
True Dual Exhaust (previous owner)
SuperChips Tuner ($74 on eBay!!! ridiculous power increase with just that)

There was something else, but I can't remember right now. I also just rebuilt my transmission and put a short throw in...drives like new, and the shift feels phenomenal. I know those don't affect what I'm asking, but I just had to brag. Makes me feel better about dropping almost 2K.

I'm thinking I should see a pretty noticeable improvement since these performance parts will get the air they need now. What do ya'll think?

And in 2 months, provided I get a promotion, I will be getting a new TB.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:25 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Well if your current filter is dirty and your MAF is dirty then you could see upwards of 6-8rwhp but if everything is well maintained then you will probably see 2-5rwhp and of course it depends on the type of CAI like the standard BBK fenderwell style or a K&N FIPK or a MAC Straight Shot 73mm MAF kit.

All in all there is a very small difference between them and any shown could be seen as within the dyno's error.

Its just 1 lego in the project that your building and the dual exhaust helps.

MotoBlue UDP's are a good investment matched with a lightweight flywheel.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:03 AM
JFordJr
1st Gear Member

I believe I had a stage 2 flywheel put in. I do want to get a UDP setup going, but I want to find a good price. And I would need a new belt with that too, right?
Old 12-24-2010, 03:16 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

The MotoBlue 42% UDP kit comes with a belt.

I bought mine NEW from ebay for $130 so just check ebay, Craigslist and the forums.

btw, as far as I know there is no "Stage 2" flywheel, your probably thinking of your clutch.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:18 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Here is a pic of some of the goodies I have, you can see the MotoBlue UPD there.
You really cant see the belt too well, its folded up by the Cobra heat vent.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:36 AM
JFordJr
1st Gear Member

I would love that to just show up on my doorstep! lol. Yeah it was the clutch I was thinking of. It's a little late here....we actually just resurfaced the flywheel. Didn't replace that.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:52 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Yeah, its always fun getting parts.
I have a lot more thats going to go on the car, just waiting to get a Canon 5D2 or a 1D4 so I can add it to my YouTube channel DriverModXL.

The link in my sig better explains what I am doing this coming season.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:29 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Originally Posted by JFordJr
So I know I'm getting a CAI for Christmas from the girlfriend. This is the least expensive mod I have not done yet. Most mods I've done were because of fixxing troublesome parts. Here is a list of what I have:

BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers (stock were cracked)
Screamin' Demon Ignition Coil Pack (stock "cylinder 1 misfire")
True Dual Exhaust (previous owner)
SuperChips Tuner ($74 on eBay!!! ridiculous power increase with just that)

There was something else, but I can't remember right now. I also just rebuilt my transmission and put a short throw in...drives like new, and the shift feels phenomenal. I know those don't affect what I'm asking, but I just had to brag. Makes me feel better about dropping almost 2K.

I'm thinking I should see a pretty noticeable improvement since these performance parts will get the air they need now. What do ya'll think?

And in 2 months, provided I get a promotion, I will be getting a new TB.
Put it this way, the mods you've done really hasn't increased hp much at all over stock. The coil pack did nothing (you will have gained power BACK over the factory one if it was faulty but nothing over stock). The headers may of added 1 or 2 rwhp at best on a good day. The exhaust will have loosened up about 5-10 rwhp depending on brand, setup, etc, so we will just average out and say 7. The Tuner adds, at most on pretunes without knowing how to tune, 5-7 rwhp. It is possible to get around 10-12 rwhp out of a V6 but you have to have a dyno and the proper tools to get the needed info to make the proper adjustment. The CAI isn't going to do much of anything, anywhere between 1-5 rwhp is a good guess with 3 being about the average. So averaging out all your gains you've put on 18 rwhp over stock including the CAI. Stock your car will dyno at around 160-170 rwhp, depending on the weather, dyno, etc.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Dont get a TB, its not worth it. Unless you get your upper/lower intakes ported to match the larger TB then it will do NOTHING...

Matthew
Old 12-24-2010, 12:36 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

+1....the throttle body will be a 100% waste. Get a vortech or do the M-112 conversion and get some real bang for the buck.

Quick Reply: How much do you guys estimate I will gain?