V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2000 Ford Mustang Sluggish with rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:04 PM
chrisaw0811

Default 2000 Ford Mustang Sluggish with rough idle

Hello Everyone, I have a 2000 Mustang V6 Roush and it is very slow and sluggish on takeoff. When Idling, the car runs really rough. It also doesn't seem to respond right away. Took it to Auto Zone and had codes pulled and they were 7 codes. They were: P0136 (HO2S12 circuit condition), P0303 (cylinder misfire #3), P0401 (EGR system fault), P0171 (Fuel Trim Bank one condition), P0174 (Fuel trim bank two condition), P0141 (HO2S12 heater condition), AND P0411 (Secondary Air Injection fault). I bought the car last weekend. It has the Roush Dual Exhaust on it. Could it be something to do with the O2 sensors? Also, how many O2 sensors should be on the car? Please Help!! Thanks in advance to everyone that helps.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:35 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Wow that's a lot. These codes didn't pop up until now? Did it feel like this when you test drove the car? Could just be a fuel problem and air intake problem would definitely add to the rough idle. Take a picture of the coil pack, maybe for some reason the person didn't plug in the wires in the correct order.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:31 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Did you buy it from a dealer or private sale?
Either way I would see about getting them to pick up the tab.

Without looking into them further it looks like O2 sensors, need to clean or change the EGR and clean the tube, check that its tight, check all vacuum lines, clean the MAF, clean your IAC, Seafoam the car to get any crap out, change the fuel filter and air filter also change the plugs, plug wires and the ignition pack (Motorcraft parts.)

Also about the air injection, check to be sure it isnt clogged or lines busted, its on the pass side. If they have aftermarket headers on they may have deleted the air injection incorrectly.

This could add up to a long and costly shopping list.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:08 AM
neo8222
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chrisaw0811
Hello Everyone, I have a 2000 Mustang V6 Roush and it is very slow and sluggish on takeoff. When Idling, the car runs really rough. It also doesn't seem to respond right away. Took it to Auto Zone and had codes pulled and they were 7 codes. They were: P0136 (HO2S12 circuit condition), P0303 (cylinder misfire #3), P0401 (EGR system fault), P0171 (Fuel Trim Bank one condition), P0174 (Fuel trim bank two condition), P0141 (HO2S12 heater condition), AND P0411 (Secondary Air Injection fault). I bought the car last weekend. It has the Roush Dual Exhaust on it. Could it be something to do with the O2 sensors? Also, how many O2 sensors should be on the car? Please Help!! Thanks in advance to everyone that helps.
4 total, 2 upstreams 2 downstreams
Old 02-26-2011, 07:24 PM
chrisaw0811

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
Did you buy it from a dealer or private sale?
Either way I would see about getting them to pick up the tab.

Without looking into them further it looks like O2 sensors, need to clean or change the EGR and clean the tube, check that its tight, check all vacuum lines, clean the MAF, clean your IAC, Seafoam the car to get any crap out, change the fuel filter and air filter also change the plugs, plug wires and the ignition pack (Motorcraft parts.)

Also about the air injection, check to be sure it isnt clogged or lines busted, its on the pass side. If they have aftermarket headers on they may have deleted the air injection incorrectly.

This could add up to a long and costly shopping list.
Ok, thanks for the help. Also, when i went to clean the EGR valve, i noticed that the is another part (which i don't know what it is) bolted on to the front of the EGR. It looks very similar to the EGR but it's a little smaller. Could someone tell me what that is? And where does the tube on the bottom of the EGR go to? Thanks
Old 02-28-2011, 04:15 PM
chrisaw0811

Default Stock tubes with BBK headers???

Well i found out what that part is. And I found out what the problem is. The part is the secondary air injection valve(called Ford and gave them part #). I am missing the hose from that valve to the exhaust. I am also missing the tube from the EGR to the exhaust. Would both of the stock tubes for the car work with BBK headers? I am going to buy both tubes but i can't find the tube for the secondary air injection valve. Someone please help!! Thanks..
Old 02-28-2011, 10:07 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

The stock EGR and AIR injector tubes are meant to work with the headers.

Post a pick of the missing parts.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 AM
imnotorginal

I just went through some similar things with my car. Let me tell you the things that had the greatest impact on my rough idle and misfires was replacing EGR valve, EGR sensor, both front 02 sensors, IAC valve, and just a basic tune up.

I know people were telling me to just clean the parts instead of replacing them, but I wanted to avoid any of that uncertainty. If I replace the part with a new OEM, then for sure it cannot be that actual part. People choose the best methods for themselves I guess.

Hope you solve your problems, i know how frustrating this can be, along with the stress.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:46 PM
chrisaw0811

Default Where to find EGR tube and air injection tube for sale????

Its is very frustrating!! haha. I can't figure out how to post pics so i will just include the URLs that have pictures on them:

EGR Tube: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/res...roush+egr+tube

For the secondary air injection tube, i can't find any pictures of. If you do a search for 2000 mustang secondary air injection tube, you might find something but i didn't have any luck.. I have no clue of what it looks like b/c like i said, it's completely missing on my car. If anyone knows where i can get one of those (other than through Ford) please let me know. I can't find them anywhere, except i can find the EGR tube on Stage 3 motorsports.com. Thanks to everyone that helps/has helped.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:31 PM
chrisaw0811

Default 2000 Mustang V6 Secondary Air Injection Tube 3.8L V6

If ANYONE knows where i can get that secondary air injection to exhaust tube for a 3.8 L V6, please let me know. Also, if anyone has it, i may be willing to buy it. I found the tube for the EGR on stage 3 motorsports. Thanks

Quick Reply: 2000 Ford Mustang Sluggish with rough idle