V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

STANG MAKES NOISE WHEN TURNING...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 04:43 PM
3.0Taurass
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by my99needsFixin
I feel more and more that it is just my power steering pump going out. The way I see it...if at IDOL, I turn my wheel left/right and its producing the same terrible noise then that eliminates any chance it can come from a suspension problem, brakes as well. Leaving pretty much only the power steering pump to blame....but hey, im no mechanic. Anyone else agree? Please, Feedback.
I still say tie rod end is a possibility. My Taurus was making terrible noises when turning the wheels. Replaced that, no more noise.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:26 PM
my99needsFixin

Alrite guys....

Finally had some time today, and good weather. My buddy and I were able to put in a new power steering pump. It was acutally a rebuilt one I bought at my local auto parts store. Was a good price, $50. Of course bought some new power steering fluid as well. Got it back to the garage and got that baby in with no problems.

After the install was complete I of course did some test driving. After roughly 15 miles of driving I found that the noise was not completly gone. It's no question considerably quieter then the original pump I had on previously, but still not dead quiet. Like I said, Ive only drivin it about 15 miles since the new pump, any chance the remaining noise will subside with more driving? Basically, Im asking if new power steering pumps need broke in any?

Thanks as always guys.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by my99needsFixin
Alrite guys....

Finally had some time today, and good weather. My buddy and I were able to put in a new power steering pump. It was acutally a rebuilt one I bought at my local auto parts store. Was a good price, $50. Of course bought some new power steering fluid as well. Got it back to the garage and got that baby in with no problems.

After the install was complete I of course did some test driving. After roughly 15 miles of driving I found that the noise was not completly gone. It's no question considerably quieter then the original pump I had on previously, but still not dead quiet. Like I said, Ive only drivin it about 15 miles since the new pump, any chance the remaining noise will subside with more driving? Basically, Im asking if new power steering pumps need broke in any?

Thanks as always guys.

ive gotten bad pumps/steering boxes right out of the box that were "rebuilt" did you get a warrenty
Old 04-07-2011, 08:45 AM
99'PEGASV6
3rd Gear Member

for the record; what other symptoms are there of a bad steering pump besides the whining? Can you physically look at it and tell?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:09 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

take the belt off and see if the pully is binding up, is it harder to turn the wheel? any leaks?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 PM
my99needsFixin

Originally Posted by 99'PEGASV6
for the record; what other symptoms are there of a bad steering pump besides the whining? Can you physically look at it and tell?
Turning seems harder then usual, leaks. Just looking wont tell ya if its faulty or not, its the internals that go bad...
Old 10-18-2011, 06:33 PM
JoshMustangV6

hey everyone im new to this and hopefully i can help. cant answer them all but few lol
um i got a 98 stang v6 5-speed . same thing was happening to me last week. so first i check fluid in PS and it seemed fine. so i thought it had to be the power steering pump. they are known to go on our cars
but all i did was change the serpentine belt and it went away
so before spending the money on a new pump and possible the pulley if you damage it in the process check the belt might be worn out if not then yes it could be your PS pump
Old 10-25-2011, 05:08 AM
Stein

If it is a constant sound when turning, not like a clunking or chirping, but more like a whine or squeal, I would put money on you power steering pump. Ford's are pretty noisy when they are working (especially the v-6 ones), and they certainly let you know when they are not happy. After 2 explorers, a ranger and a mustang, all v-6, I just put up with the whine. I changed one in the first exporer, after it made some awful noises at me. Easy operation, didnt take too long, and made it sound like it did from the factory (still noisy).
Old 10-23-2014, 07:46 AM
GTdarksider

Default Necro

I know this post is old but people still run into it looking for answers. A couple of months ago I had a squeaking much like described here only while turning. Come to find out it was the ball joints. Add that to the list of things to inspect.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:28 PM
huskerfoos

I have some questions also, as mine has been whining. I bought my 03 v6 from my in laws. It has the power steering whine. But, yesterday and today, I noticed an oil spot on the ground. This afternoon I squeezed up under there and I think it may be leaking. I will take some pics and post them up. I am hoping its not anything to do with my rack, but I am hoping you experts can lend me some advice.

The crossing bar(?) is wet, but nothing was running down it at the time I looked. Also, the hose coming from the filler neck/reservoir has a run and a drop stalling at the bottom. But, what concerns me, is bushing(?) on the rack on the drivers side is wet, but not dripping wet.

I will get some pics up tomorrow along with the details I have provided. Hopefully it is much, and I can just do it myself.

thanks

JJ

Quick Reply: STANG MAKES NOISE WHEN TURNING...