V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

a momma trying to fix daughter's 95 Ford Mustang...headlight relay question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Cindy and Greg

Default a momma trying to fix daughter's 95 Ford Mustang...headlight relay question

My daughter has a 95 Ford Mustang with dim headlights. I read somewhere that replacing the headlight relay would help that problem. We bought the relay but now we can't figure out where it goes! We opened the hood, but the switches and fuses there obviously don't go to the headlights because when we unplugged them, nothing happened to the lights. It is probably inside the car? Under the steering column somewhere MAYBE? Does anybody know?

~a mom in TX
Old 05-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

My headlight relay was under the hood on the drivers side up between the headlight and the fuse box. Closer to the fuse box. Mine's a 2001. Mine was buzzing like a bee so figured I'd better replace it.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:22 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cindy and Greg
My daughter has a 95 Ford Mustang with dim headlights. I read somewhere that replacing the headlight relay would help that problem. We bought the relay but now we can't figure out where it goes! We opened the hood, but the switches and fuses there obviously don't go to the headlights because when we unplugged them, nothing happened to the lights. It is probably inside the car? Under the steering column somewhere MAYBE? Does anybody know?

~a mom in TX

Well, mom in texas, maybe you should pony up money and go to a mechanic. Seeing as how your first post here(and prob. last) is you asking for help. Why should we help you when you are just a leech, not a contributing member of this society???
Old 05-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Cindy and Greg

Originally Posted by Daehawk
My headlight relay was under the hood on the drivers side up between the headlight and the fuse box. Closer to the fuse box. Mine's a 2001. Mine was buzzing like a bee so figured I'd better replace it.
Thanks hun....as soon as it's daylight tomorrow, I'll give her a look see.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Cindy and Greg

Originally Posted by mustang99v6
Well, mom in texas, maybe you should pony up money and go to a mechanic. Seeing as how your first post here(and prob. last) is you asking for help. Why should we help you when you are just a leech, not a contributing member of this society???
that's what online forums are for, douchebag.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:53 PM
stangant
5th Gear Member

Wow, i don't even know what to say about that comment.

But just try to match up the fuse there is only the one right passed the battery and the one under the dash. I believe it is the one under the hood.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Cindy and Greg

Thanks!!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Also are the headlights oxidixed at all? Like as in foggy looking? That can seriously reduce light output esp on older headlights and normally a cheap and easy fix.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:46 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

99v6 that was quiet rude.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:03 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang99v6

Please excuse our friend, he expresses love and excitement in all the wrong ways...

And now for the problem at hand.

94-98 Mustangs are iconic for their incredibly poor ability to light the dark path ahead.
This problem isnt because of a relay or fuse or even the bulbs, its because of the foggy lenses and THEN the bulbs.

The BEST OEM alternative is to buy SN95 Cobra headlights and go with an HID hi/lo kit.
Its costs more than a hand full of relays but the results will have you happy for a very long time. If you have a kickass insurance company they may even lower your rate a couple bux for the increased safety factor.

I like the APC Glass SN95 headlights for clearity and function. They will never haze on you and an HID Kit will push it over the top for visibility. These are a projector style headlight so you will have to get the HID kit that will be legal with them. Call American Muscle for the right kit, I think its just the hi-beam kit you want if I remember right.

Upgrading to a set of Fog Lights will help too, you have all the wiring ready sitting behind the bumper. Just add fog lights, brackets and a switch.

Here is a great HID kit for stock/Cobra headlights from our sponsor, American Muscle.
As a member you get an extra 10% off.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hid-du...-kit-9007.html

Here is a link to the APC Glass Headlights, Amazon is where I found the best price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Here is a step-by-step walk through on putting SN95 OEM Cobra headlights in your Mustang.

http://www.mikefordmustang.com/write...ts-mustang.php

Here is a fuse box diagram for both boxes.

Good luck, I hope that you are going to be a long lasting part of our community.

-Eric-

Quick Reply: a momma trying to fix daughter's 95 Ford Mustang...headlight relay question