V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

If its not one thing its another...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:35 AM
MustangFaith

Exclamation If its not one thing its another...

I have a 1994 3.8L V6 Mustang Convertible that has has quite a few issues come up since I got her back in April.

Since I baught the car and didnt know much aout her history, I went ahead and ran fuel injector cleaner through, got the oil change, and replaced the air filter.

The first issue was a leak in the "down" vacuum hose in the EGR system. Replaced that, got the engine light cleared and went on with my day. Later that evening the engine light came on again, but she still seemed to be running fine. The next morning when I went out to start my car it immedietly jumped up to about 2500 rpms and stayed there for a good 20-25 seconds before it plumeted down to 500 rpms. When the rpms dropped it sounded like my car wanted to die, as if it was struggling to get gas and fuel. It does it every morning. Could this be a dirty or bad EGR valve?

The second issue is lack of horsepower. She does not like to go up hill at all. Its almost as if she doesnt know when to down shift.The fastest she will go up hill is about 45 mph. I have no idea what this could be from. Any Ideas?

The third issue happened yesterday on my way to the store. I was at a stop sign making a right hand turn. When it was clear and I started to go, I barely pressed the gas and my car took off around the corner, fishtailed, and I almost lost control. Once I got the car going in a strait line again, the car seemed to be running just fine. Could this be a bad Throttle Position sensor? If anyone has had any of these problems, what did you do to fix them?
Old 06-25-2011, 09:11 AM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

Your idle issue....every morning when I start my 95 V6 coupe, she stays about 1500-1800 rpms for about 30 seconds and then ALWAYS idles at 500 rpms when warmed up. Sometimes it sounds like she wants to "die", but it's just the idle and she's always ran that way, even before I did a tune up (fuel filter, plugs/wires, air filter, PCV valve, serpentine belt, oil change).

As for the lack of horsepower....the V6 has a serious lack of horsepower stock anyway. Only 145 ponies, and the 215 ft. lbs. have to struggle to get the car uphill. (Sad thing is, the 0-60 times and 1/4 mile for our 3.8 is just about the same as a Prius) Mine's a 5 speed, and I always have to downshift to 4th to make it. If your tranny won't downshift (try punching the gas a bit harder), check your tranny fluid. Has it ever been changed? Clean fluid does wonders for a transmission.

Last edited by arabianobsession; 06-25-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:37 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

his is a new edge so it will have more power than yours man.

for the idle, check to see if the IAC needs cleaned. a dirty MAF might also be a problem.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:41 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

The idle problem could be from a combo of your MAF and IAC too, clean both of those.

As for everything else, do a compleat maint on it from fuel filter to engine rubber hose replacement.

Your car is almost 20 years old, there are going to be bad and leaking hoses, failed or dirty sensors and head gaskets that put 1 more nail in the coffin every day that you start her.

Be happy that so far your problems are just related to easy DIY maint issues.

My 95' is Crystal white, about 8 years ago her paint started coming off in huge sheets.
When I first bought her she was one of the most flawless SN95's around, I would wash her every Friday Morning during the spring, summer and fall and wax her about twice a month. I had claybarred her to the point of velvet touch.

It didnt matter though, and unfortunatly it didnt matter for our Crystal white 97' Cobra either or so far about 65% of all 94-98 Crystal White Mustangs.

Talk about a blow to the nads on that one.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:54 PM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03shadow
his is a new edge so it will have more power than yours man.

for the idle, check to see if the IAC needs cleaned. a dirty MAF might also be a problem.
How is a 94 a New Edge????

And I'm a woman, not a man
Old 06-25-2011, 12:56 PM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
The idle problem could be from a combo of your MAF and IAC too, clean both of those.

As for everything else, do a compleat maint on it from fuel filter to engine rubber hose replacement.

Your car is almost 20 years old, there are going to be bad and leaking hoses, failed or dirty sensors and head gaskets that put 1 more nail in the coffin every day that you start her.

Be happy that so far your problems are just related to easy DIY maint issues.

My 95' is Crystal white, about 8 years ago her paint started coming off in huge sheets.
When I first bought her she was one of the most flawless SN95's around, I would wash her every Friday Morning during the spring, summer and fall and wax her about twice a month. I had claybarred her to the point of velvet touch.

It didnt matter though, and unfortunatly it didnt matter for our Crystal white 97' Cobra either or so far about 65% of all 94-98 Crystal White Mustangs.

Talk about a blow to the nads on that one.
Your 95 is Crystal White? So is mine! She doesn't have any paint issues, though (save for a 3'' by 1'' section near the rocker panel that is fixed already). She's got 151k and I know for sure she was never garaged in the past 10 years. So I must be lucky so far....
Old 06-25-2011, 03:44 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

All I can say is watch for bubbles.
If you see one, take it to be fixed the same day.

When it started on mine, it happened in about 4 hours.

The paint bond broke from the primer and bubbled up in the sun, pressure grew expanding it the entire length of the door and BAM, it popped and was all over the ground.

Aprils Cobra was not as dramatic but it was happening in a couple places in little bubbles and a small strip on the rocker.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:53 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

hmm i didnt pay attention to first sentence but i swore i saw that OP had 2000 mustang on their info on the side. i could be delusional though, i wouldnt be surprised...... sorry
Old 06-27-2011, 10:21 AM
MustangFaith

I have already replace the MAF senson, and the rubber hosing. Over this past weekend My boyfriend and I replace the EGR valve and the trottle positioning sensor. Good thing, the car is running so much better and the horse power has improved tremendously, bad thing, the engine light is on again...
Old 06-27-2011, 11:24 AM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
All I can say is watch for bubbles.
If you see one, take it to be fixed the same day.

When it started on mine, it happened in about 4 hours.

The paint bond broke from the primer and bubbled up in the sun, pressure grew expanding it the entire length of the door and BAM, it popped and was all over the ground.

Aprils Cobra was not as dramatic but it was happening in a couple places in little bubbles and a small strip on the rocker.
Good to know, thanks!

Originally Posted by 03shadow
hmm i didnt pay attention to first sentence but i swore i saw that OP had 2000 mustang on their info on the side. i could be delusional though, i wouldnt be surprised...... sorry
It's all good, I was just confused for a second

Quick Reply: If its not one thing its another...