V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Help with new motor for 1999 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 11:30 AM
brad2130
1st Gear Member

Post Help with new motor for 1999 mustang

Heu guys I have a 1999 mustang v6 that I effed up big time and thres a rod through the block.yesterday I got a motor out of a 2000 mustang that was a read end collion so the front wasnt touched with 60k miles. Before I put it in. I want to beef it.up to take my right foot because it honestly broke my heart.. this is the first motor issue ive had and I dont drive to wild. Except the monthly cruise in I let it scrsam a bit. But I was thinking maybe a head swap or maybe a 4.2 crank. Amy ideas ? Im driving my silverado for now so o can sacrofoce driving it for a few months. So time to get dirty because I want to make a mean v6
Old 08-29-2011, 11:58 AM
brad2130
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah guys and I have 2k to play with that may not be aloy. But im keeping it normally aspirated..for now. Im just thinking of a h/c/i maybe a 4.2 crank?
Old 08-29-2011, 09:24 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

One big question that you have to ask yourself is.....is it worth it?

Another question is...is the car your daily driver or a show/track car.

The reason I ask these questions is due to personal experience and to gain a better understanding of the use of the car.

A daily driver is not something you want to perform a h/c/i swap on, if you're gonna go that route you'd be cheaper off buying a supercharger and or trading in the car, salvaging some money and getting a newer more powerful car. Even with a h/c/i swap you won't be on par with modern cars and you'll get horrible MPG and your reliability could suffer.

If it's a show car then here is the other question to ask. What's the long term gain from this?

I'm a little older and been around a bit, and as you can see from my sig, I've owned a lot of Mustangs. With that said I've learned something, cars are horrible investments. You NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER!!! Get the money you invested back out of them. In fact you will loose an average of 80 cents of every dollar invested in the car. Something to keep in mind.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 PM
brad2130
1st Gear Member

The car will yes be a daily driver. But I love my car passionatley because it wasnt a daddys money bough car. I built it myself. And proud of it. Ive had it for two years. Amd I love working on motors just havemt my own till now. But it does sed shows twice to thres times a month because im active in my mafiaof somerset and we do alot of shows. I do not plan to ever sell the car. I plan for it to be a project daily driver and retain the v6 herritage. Because I just love them. I love gts but like a flavor of a lolli pop I like the sometimes forgotten sixer. But this is why I come to you guys. I want a daily driver. That I know will need work sometones because I do show it. But I want more power that I can make it a gt eater so when im at the strip or downtown I cam be like yeap. Its a v6. Mustangs ars my passion and woeking on them os my job because mgfamily owns a hotrod shop locally. Everyone in my family has a big bas gt and I got a v6 by choice. And it makes me happy. Does this givw you amy ideas of what I should do?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

What is your first language?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 PM
brad2130
1st Gear Member

Daily driverwith attitude
Old 08-30-2011, 02:12 AM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Originally Posted by jthorn9
One big question that you have to ask yourself is.....is it worth it?

Another question is...is the car your daily driver or a show/track car.

The reason I ask these questions is due to personal experience and to gain a better understanding of the use of the car.

A daily driver is not something you want to perform a h/c/i swap on, if you're gonna go that route you'd be cheaper off buying a supercharger and or trading in the car, salvaging some money and getting a newer more powerful car. Even with a h/c/i swap you won't be on par with modern cars and you'll get horrible MPG and your reliability could suffer.

If it's a show car then here is the other question to ask. What's the long term gain from this?

I'm a little older and been around a bit, and as you can see from my sig, I've owned a lot of Mustangs. With that said I've learned something, cars are horrible investments. You NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER!!! Get the money you invested back out of them. In fact you will loose an average of 80 cents of every dollar invested in the car. Something to keep in mind.

Sometimes I worry about your post, considering I've supercharged, hci, and now turbo'd my daily driver. Hell all my cars are boosted, and my gf's daily eclipse is turbo'd . H/C/I won't hurt reliability and from what I'm seeing after a good dyno tune its a 1-2mpg decrease. And lets face it if your modding a car and worrying about mpg your in the wrong game.

With that said, if your a car enthusiast and worrying about an investment and not collecting classics your doing it wrong or not a real enthusiast.

Continuing on, H/C/I will make the car more fun, do it right it will put you ahead of a bolt on 2v (with 3.73s in an auto) you s/c the car it'll put you ahead of a 3v, sky is the limit here.

Last edited by ESG-642T; 08-30-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:57 AM
brad2130
1st Gear Member

Now were talking.i am a enthusiast. I didnt buy it for gas mileGe. If I did. Lol id have a civic or something. I bought it because I want to build a v6 thatll be a force to be reconned with. Idc to do some worj acthally I would love it. Oh and I already have 3.73sone of my first yet most benefical mods. Another question what should I do
Old 08-30-2011, 08:07 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I'm simply stating the facts ESG, you're one of a few that have the needed knowledge to work on their own cars and or know when to cut bait and bring it to a pro, most people don't or trust the wrong mechanic and have a car that has a ton of issues. For every 1 modded car that runs perfectly there are at least 9 others that have some type of constant issue. You know that's the truth. Also with that said I do like to remind people that dumping thousands of dollars into a car thats only worth a few thousand doesn't increase it's value hense the poor investment, even some classics fall into this category. They can cost upwards of $40,000 to fully restore and are only worth about that much on a good day. Only reason I say this is because at some point people grow up and reach a new stage of their lives in which the money they invested into a car becomes a hinderence.

Now with that said to the OP. I'd start simple, such as just putting a Vortech or Procharger supercharger on the car. That will give you plenty of power without sacrificing too much. The upside to this is the supercharger can always be uninstalled and sold for a decent price. One of the few parts you won't loose money on if you buy one in great condition used.

The 4.2L project will be very time consuming and not one I'd recommend for a daily driver for the reasons I stated above. If you want this level of power trade in/sell your sixer and buy a Cobra, Mach 1, or a new 2011+ Mustang.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:09 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Originally Posted by jthorn9
I'm simply stating the facts ESG, you're one of a few that have the needed knowledge to work on their own cars and or know when to cut bait and bring it to a pro, most people don't or trust the wrong mechanic and have a car that has a ton of issues. For every 1 modded car that runs perfectly there are at least 9 others that have some type of constant issue. You know that's the truth. Also with that said I do like to remind people that dumping thousands of dollars into a car thats only worth a few thousand doesn't increase it's value hense the poor investment, even some classics fall into this category. They can cost upwards of $40,000 to fully restore and are only worth about that much on a good day. Only reason I say this is because at some point people grow up and reach a new stage of their lives in which the money they invested into a car becomes a hinderence.

Now with that said to the OP. I'd start simple, such as just putting a Vortech or Procharger supercharger on the car. That will give you plenty of power without sacrificing too much. The upside to this is the supercharger can always be uninstalled and sold for a decent price. One of the few parts you won't loose money on if you buy one in great condition used.

The 4.2L project will be very time consuming and not one I'd recommend for a daily driver for the reasons I stated above. If you want this level of power trade in/sell your sixer and buy a Cobra, Mach 1, or a new 2011+ Mustang.
Well yes, but at the same time I wouldn't discourage anybody away from working on a push rod v6 motor. It is prob one of the simplest motors to work on and gain experience from.

Now if this is going to cause a financial issue, or if this is his DD and he can't afford to have it down more than a weekend its not for him but I think he has at least that much figured out.

Something else I've learned from Jerome "_J_" is his user name on v6power, if you really break down the power level cost on the mustangs until you hit the 03/04 cobra they are almost the same. the v6, gt, mach, 99 cobra all have limits on safe horsepower and they all cost you about the same to get to, the v6 may actually be cheaper if your having a mechanic do all the work for you because we all know the 2v/4v are b----es to work on.

I would agree though, the 2011 5.0 is tempting, if it wasn't for me rather having a House than a new car... well I would still have a z06 but the 2011 is tempting

Quick Reply: Help with new motor for 1999 mustang