V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Replacing my '95's steering components

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:14 AM
All4One
3rd Gear Member

Exclamation Replacing my '95's steering components

I'll try to keep this concise while still getting all the essentials in.
background
I've got a basically stock 1995 stang. I don't replace anything on it that's not broken or breaking, partly due to my budget and partly because I hate to not use a functioning piece. I've got a new driver in my family, and we don't like him driving it because it takes some extra attention due to steering wheel play and wheel wander and stuff like that. With that said, I think it's time to do an overhaul on a lot of my steering stuff and get it back into better condition.

Here are the problems and noises that need to be resolved...
Driver's side inner tie rod is worn and will be replaced no matter what.
Wheel vibration when the car is going between 60-62 mph(probably out of round wheel, moved it to the rear to help)
Front end wanders (not always the same way, so i think it is something more than just allignment)
Steering wheel has a good bit of play in it.
Passenger side of the rack and pinion squeaks when the wheel is turned at any lower speeds.(This noise is inside the rack but much closer to the passenger side)
When I push down on the front right fender it squeaks. Also does it on minor bumps in the road.
Probably also need to switch the PS pump since it moans every once in a while when I do a lot of low speed sharp turns (like extreme parking lot navigation, it starts being sluggish to turn.

Options
replace the driver's inner tie rod (see if everything else stops)
pay someone else to switch the steering rack which comes with 2 new inner tie rods
relplace the steering column also
install a new PS pump
torch the car and call insurance

Questions
I know its hard to diagnose everything without hearing and seeing it yourself, but based on this info where should I go from here?
Are there any other possible causes for the problems I am having?

Here's a basic list of all the steering things that could be replaced.
Anything else from that list stick out to try?
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ing-Components

Thanks so much for your help. I'll be sure to keep you updated on what I switch and include pics and whatnot to help with other owners future problems.

Last edited by All4One; 09-29-2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: grammar, typos, and stuff
Old 09-16-2011, 10:06 AM
stangant
5th Gear Member

torch the car and call insurance... lol

In all seriousness I would probably replace the r&p and the power steering pump. That will get you new everything including the bushings witch are probably shot and allowing the r&p to move a bit.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:48 PM
All4One
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangant
torch the car and call insurance... lol

In all seriousness I would probably replace the r&p and the power steering pump. That will get you new everything including the bushings witch are probably shot and allowing the r&p to move a bit.
It sounds so much simpler when you say it like that. But is it really worth it for a 1995 with 200k miles? I know as soon as I start putting more money in it, I'll probably blow a head.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:52 PM
stangant
5th Gear Member

It's all up to you, sound's to me like your not into it. My suggestion is to see about selling the car and upgrading to a newer model like a new edge.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:46 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by All4One
Driver's side inner tie rod is worn and will be replaced no matter what.
I'd replace the passenger side as well while your in there. Usually when one goes, the other isn't far behind. However, you can wait on that if you like...

I'd pop the outer tie rods out of the both steering knuckles and test them for play or looseness. Unbolt the outer tie rod, then take a large hammer/small sledge and whack the steering knuckle where the outer tie rod goes through. After a couple good whacks the tie rod will pop out completely undamaged (unless you hit the tie rod with the hammer). To test the inner tie rods, lift them up to the 12 o'clock position. If they stay where you put them then they are still good. If they drop down (slowly or quickly) they are worn and should be replaced. To test the outer tie rods, try to move the tie rods shaft. It should be stiff, and have no in/out play in it. If you move it, it should stay where you put it. If it pops back to center, it is worn and should be replaced...

Wheel vibration when the car is going between 60-62 mph(i think from worn inner tie rod)
Most likely an unbalanced or out of round wheel or rim. Especially since it happens at highway speeds. Tie rods wouldn't effect this.

Front end wanders (not always the same way, so i think it is something more than just allignment)
Steering wheel has a good bit of play in it.
Both of these could be caused by one or more bad inner or outer tie rods, upper or lower ball joints, or bad control arm bushings.

But the steering wheel play could also be caused by a bad intermediate steering shaft u-joint. Not so inexpensive, but fairly simple to replace. With the car off, and the hood popped, have someone get in the drivers seat and wiggle the steering wheel back and forth. In the engine bay, look at the steering shaft coming out of the firewall. Look at the u-joints on it and see if they have any torsional play in them. Also try grabbing the shaft and twisting it back and forth to see if there is any lateral play. If there is, then the shaft should be replaced.

Passenger side of the rack and pinion squeaks when the wheel is turned at any speed.(This noise is inside the rack but much closer to the passenger side)
Could be a bad rack-n-pinion mount bushing. They are fairly inexpensive and simple to replace. Could also be the passenger inner tie rod ball. If it is truly squeaking from inside the rack, then its probably just a worn seal inside. If its not leaking, I wouldn't worry about it.

Probably also need to switch the PS pump since it moans every once in a while when I do a lot of low speed sharp turns (like extreme parking lot navigation, it starts being sluggish to turn.
Before swapping pumps, it may be worth doing a power steering fluid flush, especially with a car of that vintage and milage. You would be surprised how much that can quiet down a PS system/pump.

Options
replace the driver's inner tie rod (see if everything else stops)
Good idea. It will most likely stop a few issues, but I don't think it will solve everything in your list.

relplace the steering column also
That would be a waste of money.

Here's a basic list of all the steering things that could be replaced.
Anything else from that list stick out to try?
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ing-Components
That is not a complete list, nor the only source for parts. Check out rockauto.com. Very good prices and parts selection, one of the best and easiest to use online catalogs I've seen, and very good customer service.

Good luck...

Last edited by petrock; 09-18-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:27 PM
All4One
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for both of your replies and opinions.
Originally Posted by stangant
It's all up to you, sound's to me like your not into it. My suggestion is to see about selling the car and upgrading to a newer model like a new edge.
I am into it. I just wanted to see if that was it or not, or whether I should keep looking.
And thanks Petrock for breaking it all down. That rockauto site looks pretty awesome.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Chucks95RT

Well this certainly describes my PS groaning noise...

Is the power steering flush something I can trust Jiffy Lube (or similar) to do or a dealer item? I no longer have a garage so I cannot do it myself.

EDIT:
I don't see any mention of a fuel pump whine; is this an issue as well since you directed me here from my thread?

Last edited by Chucks95RT; 09-20-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-21-2011, 02:58 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chucks95RT
Is the power steering flush something I can trust Jiffy Lube (or similar) to do or a dealer item? I no longer have a garage so I cannot do it myself.
Power steering flush is messy, but doable in your driveway or parking lot or parking garage with basic hand tools.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:46 AM
All4One
3rd Gear Member

Couple updates:
1.Dropped my car at the shop yesterday. I'll post what their solutions are when they tell me.
2.This other thread describes my squeaking noises way better than I did. Hopefully between all of us, we can connect the dots.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1...the-wheel.html

Originally Posted by Chucks95RT
EDIT:I don't see any mention of a fuel pump whine; is this an issue as well since you directed me here from my thread?
No sorry, this was just for your PS groans.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:55 PM
All4One
3rd Gear Member

Replaced the rack and pinion and inner/outer tie rods, got it aligned. steering has tightened up excellently, and the squeaking when i turn side to side at low speeds has stopped. Also the popping noise when i turn really hard has stopped.
Let me know if you have any questions.