V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Fuel Pump dead?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:02 AM
clarehills
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Fuel Pump dead?

I have a 2000 V6 Ford Mustang Vert, 3.8L. Occasionally (Once every 15 starts?) when I would start her up she would run choppily for 10 seconds and then cut out. She always started fine after that though. I had started to suspect a dodgy IAC so I got a new one...

I changed it out and also put in a new gasket. Tightened it all down and when I tried to start - she just turns over. Fires but does not start.

I put the old IAC back on, suspecting a defective new part - same problem, won't start.

I probed the IAC connector with a multimeter and I am getting 11 volts with KOEO so no problems there. I added powere to both IAC modules and the solenoid clicks - so no problem there.

I checked for spark - there is spark when I turn her over.

However, the plugs were not fouled with fuel - they were bone dry which made me suspect the Fuel supply. How do I check to see if the fuel pump is defective? Any advice here before I buy a new one and go pulling the tank?

Thanks!
Clarehillls
Old 09-30-2011, 03:16 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Tried flicking the fuel pump reset switch in the trunk?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:08 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daehawk
Tried flicking the fuel pump reset switch in the trunk?
+1. Also check the fuel pump fuse and relay. You may have popped one. Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you put the key in the On position? If not, whip out the multi-meter and check if the pump is getting power. If not, fallow the chain till you find the brake. Good luck...
Old 09-30-2011, 08:45 AM
clarehills
2nd Gear Member

Yep - tried the switch and it is not tripped.

I don't think the pump is spooling up when I do KOEO - I could have sworn it made a louder noise than what I hear now. The v6 makes an almost inaudible high pitch sound that I think is powere going to the motor but the motor doing nothing - when I do the same in my mach 1 I can hear the sound of the pump initializing - it sounds much louder. Different pumps but I expect they should sound similar.

Does anyone happen to have a sound file of their v6 fuel pump initializing?

I also checked the fuses - they are grand. I probed with the multimeter and there is power getting ti the cutoff switch in the trunk and there is power going through the fuse location for the fuel pump - it spiked to 40volts and then dropped down to zero - perhaps a sign that it sent power to the pump but the pump did not do anything?

The reason I am suspicious is that the problem only started after I changed the IAC - it would be a massive coincidence that the fuel pump failed at the exact same time but I guess it is possible?

The relay? - where is that located?

Anything else I could try?
Thanks fo the help!
Clarehills

Last edited by clarehills; 09-30-2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-05-2011, 03:36 PM
04orangeStang

I am having a similar issue with my fuel pump on my 04 v6. I do not seem to be hearing the fuel pump turn on when i have the key turned.

Also, I have read that the relay for the fuel pump is in the the Constant Control Relay Module which is located inside the passenger fender well.

Is the fuel pump located inside the gas tank or right above it? I know you have to drop the tank to replace it but is there a way to test that the pump is dead without removing it?

Thanks for any help.