V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

HELP, blowing Fuse #1

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:41 PM
97greenstang

Default HELP, blowing Fuse #1

The short story is, I listened to someone on another Forum. My original problem was that I was having a hard time getting out of park sometimes. So, after checking fuses, brake switch, someone told me to pull the shifter, disconnect the small wire. Since I did that, (it appears this goes to my O/D), the green O/D does not come on, the AIRBAG light is on and I have no turn signals. This appears to all tie to fuse #1 ? I replaced the fuse 5 times, blew every time I put the turn signals on. HELP!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a naked area is touching some place.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:51 PM
97greenstang

But where? Maybe when I pulled the shifter head? The wire looks pretty secure inside a sleeve as far down as I can see. Not sure where it leads. When I test it, there is no power getting to it, not sure how to test if the wire is grounding.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:11 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

I had the same problem after i pulled my Auto shifter **** off. I had the O/D wires a little out of position and was blowing the fuse.

You can disconnect the O/D switch wire harness under the console. If disconnecting it there stops the fuse from blowing then it's the wiring to the switch.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

if you disconnect under the console, and replace the fuse, you can test the O/D circuit by simply touching a small screw driver across the contacts in the wire harness. The O/D switch is just a momentary closed switch.

You can actually use a relocated momentary switch to remove the switch from the ****. This is necessary with most after market shift *****.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:23 PM
97greenstang

Now we are getting somewhere, I just need to figure out where to disconnect from. Are you saying I can follow the wire down inside ? I can't really see where it is going. Is it a plug in that I can just pull out/Unplug?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:27 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97greenstang
When I test it, there is no power getting to it, not sure how to test if the wire is grounding.
You can test if a wire is going to ground by using a multimeter or test light. Simply connect one end to a known good power source (e.g. the wire that you know is getting power), and the other end to the wire in question. If the multi-meter shows 12 Volts or the test light lights up then you have a wire to ground.

Last edited by petrock; 10-26-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:24 AM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

the O/D swirch wiring runs down the shifter and back torwards the rear seat. It has a connector to the main wiring harness about half way back under the console.

I would suggest removing the console, it can be done without disturbing the shifter, and gaining access that way.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 AM
97greenstang

Ok, when you say console, are you talking about the storage place between the two seats?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:50 AM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

yes.

Pull the trim ring around the shifter off, hels by clips.
That will expose the front screws.
Open the storage compartment and there are 2 screws that hold the storage tub in ( they are under the square rubber bumpers.

Under that is the screw holding the rear of the console in.

Lift up and you can disconnect the power outlet connector then remove the console.

You will then be able to access the O/D wiring.

The good news is even if all you do is disconnect the O/D switch you will simply stay in O/D on state.

Quick Reply: HELP, blowing Fuse #1