V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

What is GEM fuse?? I think I finally found true cause of battery drain..

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 01:30 PM
fearthisinc
3rd Gear Member

Default What is GEM fuse?? I think I finally found true cause of battery drain..

Ok... so I was tearing into the mustang a bit today.. had to put her away for a while due to family issues and once again I had a battery issue which I thought I had solved but apparently not.. anyway.. I went to the store and got the multimeter.. Set it up and found that when i turned the car off i was at about .34.. Once in sleep mode (about a minute or 2 after turning everything off) i found that it would go to about .20.. i started pulling the underhood fuses first but nothing.. once going back into the car i pulled the interior light fuse first.. i waited a while and saw that the multimeter was holding at .25.. i started pulling fuse by fuse.. finally came to fuse #39 which is listed as GEM and a 5A mini fuse.. Anyway once taking that out the multimeter reading dropped from .25 to .08... i am thinking that this is finally the fuse with the draw on it.. Anyway.. just curious what this fuse actually is?? I am hoping it is going to be simple enough to find out where the draw is coming from but have no idea where to from this point.. how to isolate this further? where to look from this point? I really dont know much about cars so i can only do a handful of things.. thanks for any input..
Old 11-05-2011, 04:44 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

IIRC the GEM is the generic elctronics module. Controls things like having power available for windows after turning off the key. Interior lights coming on when you turn off the key and so on. At least on other Fords that is what it does.

There will always be some current draw. The remote entry receiver must have power all the time, the radio draws a tiny amount to keep presets and clock data.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:56 PM
fearthisinc
3rd Gear Member

It is the only thing I can find that would be considered a drain.. I let the car sit and with everything hooked up the lowest was around .20 - .25... If I removed the GEM fuse it went to .08 and if I disconnected all of the Streetglow led stuff it dropped to 0.00...
Old 08-29-2021, 01:59 PM
Cobradon94

Originally Posted by fearthisinc
Ok... so I was tearing into the mustang a bit today.. had to put her away for a while due to family issues and once again I had a battery issue which I thought I had solved but apparently not.. anyway.. I went to the store and got the multimeter.. Set it up and found that when i turned the car off i was at about .34.. Once in sleep mode (about a minute or 2 after turning everything off) i found that it would go to about .20.. i started pulling the underhood fuses first but nothing.. once going back into the car i pulled the interior light fuse first.. i waited a while and saw that the multimeter was holding at .25.. i started pulling fuse by fuse.. finally came to fuse #39 which is listed as GEM and a 5A mini fuse.. Anyway once taking that out the multimeter reading dropped from .25 to .08... i am thinking that this is finally the fuse with the draw on it.. Anyway.. just curious what this fuse actually is?? I am hoping it is going to be simple enough to find out where the draw is coming from but have no idea where to from this point.. how to isolate this further? where to look from this point? I really dont know much about cars so i can only do a handful of things.. thanks for any input..
After removing the #39 GEM fuse, did the wipers and other accessories work windshield washers and wipers? i think it will solve my draining battery.