V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Stock GT exhaust on 3.8V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:38 PM
powellst

Default Stock GT exhaust on 3.8V6

I have a nearly near set of takeoff stock exhaust from a GT. I was originally planning on putting these on my 02 vert and welding in some Flowmaster 40 series. After talking to local Mustang expert at his shop, he tells me that the Flowmasters would probably be over the top with the convertible, and cause to much "drone" in the exhaust note at crusing speeds. He says that the stock GT exhaust by itself will be a noticeable improvement in sound and performance just by itself. I'm really not looking for any loud exhaust, or something where I can't hear the stereo at highway speeds. His idea was that we can always add the Flowmasters later, rather than have to take them off, if they don't work out.

Has anybody just added the stock GT exhaust ?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

Well if this helps at all, I have Long tubes, catted H-pipe and the stock GT mufflers and tailpipes and I don't hear any drone at all until around 80 MPH
Old 11-16-2011, 09:18 AM
powellst

Yes, thanks for the response. Are you pretty happy with the sound ? It's not over the top ?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 AM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

Not at all, even with the MAC headers I'm still going to buy a different catback down the road. It sounds nice, but its not loud enough for me personally
Old 11-16-2011, 08:09 PM
powellst

Thanks, +1 on the oxford white...btw...it's a great color.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:54 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Your Mustang expert should have his 'expert' title revoked.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:38 PM
powellst

Well, there's always one in every crowd, and it looks like he's showed up now. LilRoush, would you care to elaborate our your statement above with helpful advice instead of providing a smart-*** response ?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:54 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I don't know if I want to if you want to keep calling me a smart ***.

But, for the sake of being nice. What your EXPERT told you was wrong (hence my comment). Flowmasters won't be "too over the top" (depending on what series you go with). Flowmaster makes several types of mufflers, and various sound levels. He should know that if he's a Mustang guy. To go along with that, adding the stock GT cat back won't give you a noticable gain in performance either - couple hp at most. Normally a double negative would cancel itself out, but not in this case.

He says you can always add the Flowmasters later.... because he can also charge you more to do it. By his own train of thought, you could start with the Flowmasters, and have the stock mufflers swapped in if you don't like it.

My suggestion would be get on YouTube and listen to different exhaust set ups on 99-04 V6 Mustangs. Pick what you like.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:11 AM
Brian68
1st Gear Member

Excuse me sir is this your hat....LOL
Old 12-02-2011, 06:14 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brian68
Excuse me sir is this your hat....LOL
What are you talking about?

Quick Reply: Stock GT exhaust on 3.8V6