V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

I just don't know what's going on!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 01:58 PM
anewberr

Unhappy I just don't know what's going on!!

I have a 2002 Ford Mustang, V6 with 3.8l. This is my first "project" car, and I wanted to learn more about vehicles by fixing this car up. I've learned a lot about cars, but please remember I am still fairly dumb.

I bought the car for $2,000, it had 149,000 miles on it. The front end was damaged, had a check engine light, and it ran a little rough. So far, this is what I've done on it:

*replaced PCV valve and cleaned the hose
*replaced spark plugs and wires
*changed oil and oil filter
*changed two dry rot hoses
*changed air filter
*cleaned MAF sensor
*cleaned throttle body
*cleaned IAC
*replaced driver's side exhaust manifold
*replaced egr pipe
*replaced PDFE sensor
*ran Sea Foam through it
*redid whole front end (so it looks like a stang again)
*cleaned battery
*checked alternator, starter, and battery = all good
*replaced a bunch of bulbs and other cosmetics
*checked catalytic converters = good
*welded part of a pipe to stop an exhaust leak

The car runs a lot better than it did. The car also looks 100 times better than it did. The check engine light is gone now (after replacing the EGR pipe, PDFE sensor, and some hoses around that area).

BUT! Here are my problems:

1) My engine jerks. It doesn't matter if I'm idle, accelerating, no bias to certain mph or rpm, and doesn't matter if I'm uphill or downhill. It's like it is hesitating and losing a little rpm before it jumps back up to normal.

2) My engine shakes violently at 4rpm+. I just noticed this today as I pressed down the gas. After it was done, I could feel a "heart beat" on the underside of the car.

3) Excessive steering wheel play (but I found a rubber grommet on the steering column (or maybe shaft?) that was cracked, and I think this is the cause of that excessive play. I'm just not sure what it's called to get a replacement or how I would go about replacing it.)

---> According to several people (Autozone, etc.), they have come up with the theory that I have an vacuum leak causing too much air into my intake manifold, and I have an exhaust leak. These two things are causing my engine to jerk. I haven't taken it to a Ford dealership, since I know they'll charge me $100.00 for diagnosis. No one else can find it.

To be honest, I'm at my witts end trying to figure this out, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here and bothering you guys. I've visually and physically checked all the hoses for air leaks.

During my Sea Foam usage, I saw no white smoke coming up through the engine or intake area. I saw some white smoke coming from my exhaust manifold that I put on there (at the flange where it connects to the lower pipe), but I have that thing snug and tight. There's no way it could have a leak. I've taken it off and retightened it. I can't see exhaust coming from it normally, but occasionally I did see some white smoke from it from the Sea Foam. I've sprayed carb cleaner hoping it would get sucked up to tell where it's coming from, but no luck.

I just don't know what to do next! Help me, please!!

-Andrew
Old 12-30-2011, 02:47 PM
WV2000GT
1st Gear Member

Did you do a compression test on the motor? I don't know a whole lot about the 3.8's but it's always a good idea on a high mileage motor....also..carb cleaner is a trick for the intake/intake mainfold vac leaks. It won't show you an exhaust leak because exhaust is pressurized...I wouldn't spray anything remotely flamable near your exhaust manifold. If you saw smoke coming out from the sea foam...you definately have a exhaust leak.

Originally Posted by anewberr
I have a 2002 Ford Mustang, V6 with 3.8l. This is my first "project" car, and I wanted to learn more about vehicles by fixing this car up. I've learned a lot about cars, but please remember I am still fairly dumb.

I bought the car for $2,000, it had 149,000 miles on it. The front end was damaged, had a check engine light, and it ran a little rough. So far, this is what I've done on it:

*replaced PCV valve and cleaned the hose
*replaced spark plugs and wires
*changed oil and oil filter
*changed two dry rot hoses
*changed air filter
*cleaned MAF sensor
*cleaned throttle body
*cleaned IAC
*replaced driver's side exhaust manifold
*replaced egr pipe
*replaced PDFE sensor
*ran Sea Foam through it
*redid whole front end (so it looks like a stang again)
*cleaned battery
*checked alternator, starter, and battery = all good
*replaced a bunch of bulbs and other cosmetics
*checked catalytic converters = good
*welded part of a pipe to stop an exhaust leak

The car runs a lot better than it did. The car also looks 100 times better than it did. The check engine light is gone now (after replacing the EGR pipe, PDFE sensor, and some hoses around that area).

BUT! Here are my problems:

1) My engine jerks. It doesn't matter if I'm idle, accelerating, no bias to certain mph or rpm, and doesn't matter if I'm uphill or downhill. It's like it is hesitating and losing a little rpm before it jumps back up to normal.

2) My engine shakes violently at 4rpm+. I just noticed this today as I pressed down the gas. After it was done, I could feel a "heart beat" on the underside of the car.

3) Excessive steering wheel play (but I found a rubber grommet on the steering column (or maybe shaft?) that was cracked, and I think this is the cause of that excessive play. I'm just not sure what it's called to get a replacement or how I would go about replacing it.)

---> According to several people (Autozone, etc.), they have come up with the theory that I have an vacuum leak causing too much air into my intake manifold, and I have an exhaust leak. These two things are causing my engine to jerk. I haven't taken it to a Ford dealership, since I know they'll charge me $100.00 for diagnosis. No one else can find it.

To be honest, I'm at my witts end trying to figure this out, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here and bothering you guys. I've visually and physically checked all the hoses for air leaks.

During my Sea Foam usage, I saw no white smoke coming up through the engine or intake area. I saw some white smoke coming from my exhaust manifold that I put on there (at the flange where it connects to the lower pipe), but I have that thing snug and tight. There's no way it could have a leak. I've taken it off and retightened it. I can't see exhaust coming from it normally, but occasionally I did see some white smoke from it from the Sea Foam. I've sprayed carb cleaner hoping it would get sucked up to tell where it's coming from, but no luck.

I just don't know what to do next! Help me, please!!

-Andrew
Old 12-30-2011, 03:15 PM
anewberr

I haven't done a compression test on the motor yet. I can't imagine why there's still a leak from the exhaust manifold on that side, though. I mean, dang, I really put it on there good. I haven't seen anything from there for weeks until the Sea Foam. :\ Still doesn't explain the jerking, though.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:19 PM
WV2000GT
1st Gear Member

What's the mpg and oil consumption like on it?
Old 12-30-2011, 03:33 PM
anewberr

As far as I can tell, MPG is fair (I haven't really driven it a whole lot with the engine jerking the way it is), and the oil consumption seems to be fine. I haven't noticed a difference. :\
Old 12-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

The exhaust leak could be from a cracked header (exhaust manifold), it is a comman problem where the A/C condenser drips onto the manifold and causes it to crack over time. Normally you will hear a ticking sound at start up/when the car is cold and it will go away as the car warms up. As for the vac leak - it is possible. Check all the lines coming off the vac tree on the driver side right next to the firewall and make sure none of those lines are cracked/disconnected.

Good luck,
Matthew
Old 12-30-2011, 06:46 PM
anewberr

Thanks for the reply. I did change the exhaust manifold on the driver's side. If it were cracked on the passenger's side due to the AC dripping, I would think I'd of seen smoke from that way. I swear I checked every vacuum line, but nothing.

You can hear a tiny suction every time you open the throttle... but I don't hear what the other guys have told me. I hear only the throttle opening and no other suction. I wonder if I even have a vacuum leak, but I don't know what else would explain the engine jerking besides that.